Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should football players and university professors be easy to fire for their views?
Football players and university professors can be fired for their views. 142 43.03%
Neither can be fired for their views 188 56.97%
Voters: 330. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2017, 08:47 AM

77,005 posts, read 47,592,894 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamsack View Post
I stand as well....I dont place my hand over my heart....so does that make me a bad patriot. The whole thing is beyond me. The freedoms fought for and won by those in the military, who I know many currently in and whom I have great respect for, is for our freedom of expression. The NFL has no rules that says you MUST stand for the anthem. If the NFL changes it or a team can change it (not sure they can without the NFL approval) then those not standing are not violating any rules. They may violate someone's belief on what is right, but we live in a country where people have fought many years to keep our freedoms in tact.

I have no issues, that is people dont like it, then they don't watch....if that upsets them that much. Fine with me. Same as I, as it doesnt affect me, so I will watch as normal.

Go Vikings!
The players who link arms do not place their hand over the heart either. Maybe Trump will attack them next.

They COULD make it mandatory if they wanted to be done with the issue.

Old 09-26-2017, 08:47 AM

4,818 posts, read 10,997,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandraMoore66 View Post
I agree with a lot of things you said but as so many people have pointed out Freedom of Speech extends only to state and government NOT in the workforce arena. Many of us would be fired making a political statement or protest at our jobs.
And that I agree. But there are no laws/rules that say NFL players MUST stand for the anthem. Now if the NFL wants to change this....and I agree that it is their right too....then punishment can be handed down.

But right now the players are just exercising their freedom of expression, speech, etc....and right not that is not in violation of NFL rules. NFL operational game plan manual says players SHOULD but there is a huge difference between SHOULD and SHALL

SHALL is enforceable, SHOULD Is not.

Old 09-26-2017, 08:49 AM

51,651 posts, read 25,785,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Consigliere View Post
From ESPN: "For the weekend as a whole, ESPN and CBS were up, NBC and FOX were down, and on aggregate ratings across the NFL were up about 3 percent from Week Three last year. So there’s no reason to believe that the national anthem controversy hurt the NFL in the ratings department".

And for those of you who think people silently kneeling during a song is disrespectful, imagine having someone grab you by the *****.

NBC and FOX were likely down because AT&T U-verse dropped them over a money dispute.

Anyone with AT&T U-verse wouldn't have been able to watch either of these two channels over the weekend.

Old 09-26-2017, 08:50 AM

10,006 posts, read 11,150,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd Jedd View Post
The players have an equity stake in the game. Everyone involved knows the owners can't just fire all the players and replace them. And they are not yelling at their bosses, the bosses are on the field showing support with their players.

So much for that argument.
The players might need to be reminded where the money comes from. if you want the nonsense to stop...stop attending games and stop watching it on TV. Trust me..when you stop, it's easy.

Old 09-26-2017, 08:53 AM

19,012 posts, read 14,186,291 times
IF I UNDERSTAND CORRECTLY

The flag and the anthem represent something, but what?

If the flag and anthem are a representation of politics, and the sitting government, then political opponents must surely mock and denigrate it.

Reciprocally, the political opponents from before would have surely mocked and denigrated those symbols... but didn’t.

Odd, isn’t it?

Perhaps the flag and anthem represents something other than partisan politics and the sitting government.

If the flag and anthem are symbols of patriotism - love of country - and respect for those who honorably sacrificed their lives and their fortunes, then it is inappropriate to mock and denigrate the flag and the anthem, let alone make a political protest.

Old 09-26-2017, 08:55 AM

10,721 posts, read 4,333,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
IF I UNDERSTAND CORRECTLY

The flag and the anthem represent something, but what?

If the flag and anthem are a representation of politics, and the sitting government, then political opponents must surely mock and denigrate it.

Reciprocally, the political opponents from before would have surely mocked and denigrated those symbols... but didn’t.

Odd, isn’t it?

Perhaps the flag and anthem represents something other than partisan politics and the sitting government.

If the flag and anthem are symbols of patriotism - love of country - and respect for those who honorably sacrificed their lives and their fortunes, then it is inappropriate to mock and denigrate the flag and the anthem, let alone make a political protest.
Exactly, the flag has always been something that represented the entirety of America, not just Republican or not just Democrat.
And especially symbolic in war times and in relation to 911 etc.

Old 09-26-2017, 09:00 AM

34,987 posts, read 16,956,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
You are absolutely right. But we had no flag or anthem when our founders wrote the constitution. The constitution was about equal rights. This is what they are peacefully protesting against.
Nobody ever said that the U.S. was perfect. But the countries where the minority group members in question, blacks, form a majority the state of rights, equal or otherwise, is far far worse than in the U.S.

Old 09-26-2017, 09:01 AM

12,270 posts, read 11,323,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Consigliere View Post
From ESPN: "For the weekend as a whole, ESPN and CBS were up, NBC and FOX were down, and on aggregate ratings across the NFL were up about 3 percent from Week Three last year. So there’s no reason to believe that the national anthem controversy hurt the NFL in the ratings department".

And for those of you who think people silently kneeling during a song is disrespectful, imagine having someone grab you by the *****.
Maybe you should post a link. Here is what ESPN is saying about NFL week 3 Sunday ratings.

Preliminary TV ratings for Sunday NFL games down compared to last year

Old 09-26-2017, 09:04 AM

9,742 posts, read 4,490,983 times
If a flag symbolizes only one thing to all people then isn't flying the stars and bars unpatriotic?

Old 09-26-2017, 09:07 AM

19,573 posts, read 8,512,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
Maybe you should post a link. Here is what ESPN is saying about NFL week 3 Sunday ratings.

Preliminary TV ratings for Sunday NFL games down compared to last year
Preliminary television ratings for Sunday's NFL games finished lower as compared to the same week last year. CBS said its national games, which featured the Green Bay Packers' 27-24 win over the Cincinnati Bengals and the Kansas City Chiefs' 24-10 win over the Los Angeles Chargers, were down 1 percent in the overnight ratings as compared to its Week 3 national games for the 2016 season.

Including all of CBS' regional games, the network's games were up 4 percent as compared to the games in Week 3 of the 2016 season.

Fox's game, which featured the New York Giants against the Philadelphia Eagles in many markets, was down 16 percent, compared to Week 3 of last season, which featured the Giants playing the Washington Redskins.

Sunday Night Football's decline was more drastic, as Sunday's game between the Redskins and the Oakland Raiders was the lowest-rated Week 3 game, from metered markets, since 2006.

Ratings for the game were down 9 percent versus last week (Packers-Falcons) and 11 percent versus last year's Week 3 game.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies