Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should football players and university professors be easy to fire for their views?
Football players and university professors can be fired for their views. 142 43.03%
Neither can be fired for their views 188 56.97%
Voters: 330. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2017, 10:59 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,482,823 times

Advertisements

The president is trying to steal the narrative for these most solemn protests, from their original intent, calling attention to black men being murdered by cops, to a question of patriotism and supporting the military.

Kudos to the OUSD honor band...

Old 09-26-2017, 11:01 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,039,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
NASCAR isn't that simple. Football is. One team eins, another team loses or they tie. It is fairly simple. Take this by a former fan of NASCAR and motorsports on a whole. While the points are mostly good, the issue is the chase scenarios. Up until 2010, it was top 10/12 in points. Then it became top 10 and the top two with wins from 11 to 12 for a few years. Then the chase got revamped into race winners in the top 30 in points. The standard point structures on apps and websites don't show the points and wins, just points.

ahhh...I was referring to; left turn, left turn, left turn, left turn.....

Old 09-26-2017, 11:02 AM

9,546 posts, read 7,066,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
I'll do you one better.

4,000 women are killed every year by estranged partners.

Why are Trump and the gang not outraged over that instead of the constant yammering about carnage in Chicago?
Why aren't NFL players outraged over it? Oh that's right, because the NFL does seem to have quite a few players with domestic violence problems.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.indep...426.html%3famp

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/10/2...rk-giants.html

A bit older, but still relevant:

https://amp.www.complex.com/sports/2...stic-violence/

And then, there was a player who wanted to wear eye patch things to bring attention to the problem, and the NFL threatened to fine him.

The hypocrisy is so blindingly obvious, I'm surprised you could see well enough to type a reply.

Old 09-26-2017, 11:02 AM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 23 days ago)

27,636 posts, read 16,118,635 times
How racist. Men of all colors get shot my cops. Too bad they don't care about anyone with other pigments...Or This>

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
Oakland kids should be more worried about their brothers and sisters being gunned down on the streets daily by their own peers.
Exposes the whole thing as a sham

Old 09-26-2017, 11:03 AM

12,547 posts, read 9,929,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
No. What?

The link to "fantasy land" is in the implication that this issue will somehow be the "downfall" of the NFL and its cultural prominence. I just do not see it happening. Does not add up. The majority of people in this country do not take politics this seriously. They are not giving up the sport that they are obsessed with over something like this.

Donald's comments on this are really not the point.
I'm simply saying that sometimes we don't know what the linchpin might be. Perhaps this blows over in a few months or perhaps we look back thinking "it all started when the NFL became politicized".

Old 09-26-2017, 11:05 AM

29,540 posts, read 9,704,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Speaking of simple, let me lay it out.

This is your opinion.

Others are of the opinion that football players can express their opinion while in uniform, while getting paid.

Their employers appear to be of that opinion.

Case closed.
Your comment and this explanation have been repeated too many times to count in this thread already that continues on like a chicken with it's head cut off, but the fact remains as you make clear...

Nevertheless, someone who has it out for liberal thinking and understanding about this, (a good deal better justified by our Constitution and decision(s) rendered by the Supreme Court of the United States) will come along again and explain how liberals just don't get.

This sort of fascist-like intolerance for dissent, even inconvenience, that Trump now promotes with typical mouth-breathing enthusiasm, is what we should all recognize, understand and push back against, like so many more players and owners of the NFL are now doing. No doubt that push back, at least by the many who simply know better, is going to grow not lessen.

Not for Trump and his supporters however! By now we all know they can be expected to circle their wagons closer and closer until maybe they'll suffocate themselves from using too much oxygen to defend the indefensible. These people are more understanding about what is convenient or inconvenient for them than they'll ever be about the difference between right and wrong.

If there is anything that stands in the way of America being as great as it can be, it's these people!

Old 09-26-2017, 11:06 AM

6,732 posts, read 5,170,103 times
"Protest on your own time, not on your job I pay you to do!"

Anyone remember the support for Kim Davis, "protesting" while on the job a couple of years ago?

When she "protested" gay marriage by refusing to issue same-sex couples marriage licenses? You know, while on the job?

Ah, good times.

Old 09-26-2017, 11:06 AM

10,920 posts, read 6,906,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
I'm simply saying that sometimes we don't know what the linchpin might be. Perhaps this blows over in a few months or perhaps we look back thinking "it all started when the NFL became politicized".
You seriously, and very dramatically, underestimate how addicted our nation is to this sport.

Old 09-26-2017, 11:07 AM

13,899 posts, read 6,441,195 times
Oakland kids should be more worried about their brothers and sisters being gunned down on the streets daily by their own peers.

Old 09-26-2017, 11:08 AM

29,540 posts, read 9,704,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
Judging by all the videos I'm seeing and the comment sections - I think the NFL, players and libs have picked a losing battle on this one.
Trump picked this battle, not the NFL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies