Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should football players and university professors be easy to fire for their views?
Football players and university professors can be fired for their views. 142 43.03%
Neither can be fired for their views 188 56.97%
Voters: 330. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2017, 12:18 PM

9,338 posts, read 7,081,931 times

Advertisements

Where I live, the fire chief is one of the most respected people in the community. So to see a chief use disgusting and racist language like that, it's pretty upsetting.

It wasn't their primary intention, but what NFL players are doing is working. Racist blowhards like this fire chief are so angered by the kneeling during the anthem that they can't help but blurt out racist comments on Facebook, exposing themselves for the pieces of **** they are. By taking a knee, they're flushing out some of the racists who have so much anger and hatred bottled up that they have to let it out. And now we can see them for who they really are.

And to make a comment like that so easily on a public social media page like Facebook, I'm sure it wasn't the chief's first time using the n-word. Another racist exposed.

Old 09-26-2017, 12:19 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,764,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homeonthelittlemountain View Post

Trump has hi-jacked civility, morality, humanity, and civil rights by baiting us all. The flag is the very symbol of the freedom that the US represents. He has hi-jacked our sacred symbol.
The far-right actually hijacked the flag long ago. Actually it was after 9/11, when Bush was President.

Old 09-26-2017, 12:20 PM

36,857 posts, read 17,272,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
I like Mike Tomlin. And I am not even a Steelers' fan.
What's that got to do with anything?

Then again, I like Tomlin too and I'm a Browns fan.

Old 09-26-2017, 12:20 PM

67,652 posts, read 60,487,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
The players, coaches and owners who did it for the first time last Sunday clearly said they did it to show unity. What is so unclear about it?

We have people here asking why they did it (playing ignorant), while others say they were protesting against the flag, nation and military (being dishonest). Why do they feel compelled to invent a reason, when they know the real reason?

The players who have been doing it for longer time stick to the original reason, which was police brutality.
Ok, so "unity" -or police brutality - take your pick I guess.

Unity over what - police brutality? The NFL being "under attack?" "Free speech?" What?

I'm not playing dumb. We are getting lots of mixed messages, and it's precisely because of a LACK of unity. Even the coaches and teams, who have been distracted by all this drama, can't reach solid agreements. You can tell it in interviews, on the sidelines, during the anthem, etc.

Old 09-26-2017, 12:21 PM

31,341 posts, read 14,148,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrandViking View Post
Fire chief calls Mike Tomlin a racial slur, then

I think this fire chief is undermining his point.
Fire Chief is going to be in a world of trouble.

Old 09-26-2017, 12:22 PM

67,652 posts, read 60,487,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Bless their little hearts.

Old 09-26-2017, 12:24 PM

8,429 posts, read 4,477,721 times
I thought Trump and his followers keep saying this has nothing to do with race?

Old 09-26-2017, 12:24 PM

6,732 posts, read 5,150,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybug07 View Post
This is where I am at. They are paid to play a game. Earlier I used Wilson and Watts as an example that they have used their status as football players to make a difference off the field. Not make their statement on the field.
Kaepernick has contributed hundreds of thousands of dollars to different groups and has been a catalyst in improving community relations between law enforcement and the community in the Bay Area. He's donated over $700K to 24 different organizations.

Brandon Marshall, another prominent protester, has been working with the local community, mayor and police department to enact change.

They've done far more than those worthless Blue Lives Matter groups. Please do not be uneducated and spread ignorance.

Old 09-26-2017, 12:25 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,031,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
I agree that we are facing way too many problems and way too few solutions.

What I was responding to was a post about how we should be more concerned about Black on Black carnage because 2,000 more black people were killed than the 16 unarmed black men that were murdered by cops last year.

If we're going by the number of people killed, women murdered by men is the big winner. 4,000 murdered as opposed to the 2,000 Black on Black murders.

Nary a mention about that. Not from Trump. Not from Rs who are all law and order.

Nearly everyone knows a woman who was killed by a man she no longer wanted to keep company with. About ten women a day are killed. A woman is shot to death as she goes into her parents' home, as she leaves work, ... Day after day after day.

Would like to see those football players taking a knee for that.

Or at least the Rs bring it up from time to time while they are carrying on about the murder rate.
Yes, you were responding to a post I made, and I responded about the domestic abuse problem among NFL players. Perhaps you missed it. The players are quite selective in their outrage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
Why aren't NFL players outraged over it? Oh that's right, because the NFL does seem to have quite a few players with domestic violence problems.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.indep...426.html%3famp

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/10/2...rk-giants.html

A bit older, but still relevant:

https://amp.www.complex.com/sports/2...stic-violence/

And then, there was a player who wanted to wear eye patch things to bring attention to the problem, and the NFL threatened to fine him.

The hypocrisy is so blindingly obvious, I'm surprised you could see well enough to type a reply.

Old 09-26-2017, 12:26 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,557,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post

This guy? What part of his anatomy was he thinking with?
His brain I would think - it's possible that he's more motivated by anger, than by a particular belief on race.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies