Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should football players and university professors be easy to fire for their views?
Football players and university professors can be fired for their views. 142 43.03%
Neither can be fired for their views 188 56.97%
Voters: 330. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2017, 07:54 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,568,036 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisanicole1 View Post
The players sure are not taking the knee when they are handed over an obscene amount of money to play a game...
Why don't you get obscene amounts of money to play a game? Oh that's right you lack a very specific skill set and also ignore the enormous amount of work that goes into it as well

Old 09-27-2017, 07:56 AM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
So destroy the guy for using a word? Ok, gotcha.
Here we go again. Rather than address what I said you feel this incredible need to spin what I said. Why can't you just discuss this honestly?

Quote:
Whatever, I don't use the word and never have. I'm disgusted when I hear it and yes, I've heard it recently...mostly from black people towards other black people.
They do and I do not believe that is right either but how would you feel knowing that the guy in charge of protecting your property feels this way about you?

I imagine that like here the volunteer fire dept has to do a lot of fundraisers. How much do you think they are going to be able to raise from the black community when the department is being led by this guy?

Old 09-27-2017, 07:56 AM

882 posts, read 688,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbernard View Post
So much truth here. One are men doing nothing but silently kneeling.....the other are men literally filled with rage, ready to boycott a sport they love, boycott anything from Nike, and some even saying they'll boycott sports bars that play NFL games.

Ironically enough, these are the same people that spent the past eight years literally doing nothing but crying and complaining every chance they had against "Odumber".
All the left/right stuff aside, I agree. People have gone completely over the deep end on this stuff. Jesus Christ! I'm adult enough and technically savvy enough to use the "mute" button on my remote or not watch the first few minutes if it bothers me that much.

Old 09-27-2017, 07:57 AM

13,899 posts, read 6,440,051 times
Here's the thing. The country did nothing but be good to these athletes by affording them the chance to do what they do. Protesting the Anthem, which is actually protesting the country itself, is misguided and very many people see it that way. Nobody argues that they don't have the right to protest, but are arguing to do it on their own time. Not on the time that people have paid a lot of money to get AWAY from this crap that is going on on a daily basis. BTW, they are at work, that is not the place and time to do this. Anyone else would be fired for protesting daily at their jobs. The NFL itself created a monster here and we all can see that. By not nipping this crap in the bud they opened a can of worms that will only get worse and ruin the game even further as it causes division in the locker rooms. There's also the fact that the NFL let CK wear socks with cops as pigs, but wouldn't let the Cowboys wear a decal honoring the Dallas cops that were killed nor did they let players commemorate 911 victims. It pisses people off that there is this double standard in today's SJW NFL. It's ok to honor a thug that robbed a store and tried to kill a cop, which is what started all of this garbage, but the opposite side of this is not allowed at all. I fully understand why people are so mad and I think it should be common sense to anyone else who can think about this objectively unless you truly don't believe in fairness and real equality which is NOT what's happening in today's NFL. I will still watch, but I wait until the Anthem is over to put the channel on.

Old 09-27-2017, 08:00 AM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skins_fan82 View Post
Geez. Whether you support it or are against it, one thing is for sure: taking a knee is working. The players are drawing the attention to the issues like they wanted. The NFL has dominated the front page of the political section for the last several days.
I will come out and say it. I've never taken a knee at the national anthem. However, I theorized this earlier. Taking a knee during the national anthem is the worst possible time to do so. A part of me cringes and thinks "Kaepernick, don't. You're going to anger alot of people". But then I look at it. Kaepernick's goal is to anger people. People saying they want him fired, people saying they want the NFL boycotted, this is getting alot of attention. I wouldn't pick the gridiron to do this. But then, I'm thinking this is why players are doing this. The attention. It's negative attention, but it's attention. Firing those players won't stop the movement itself. And it won't stop it from spreading to other sports. Very few things attract millions of people in concentrated areas like sports does. There are people who want attention to their cause, even if that attention is negative attention. The attitude is "bad attention is better than no attention".

Old 09-27-2017, 08:02 AM

10,726 posts, read 4,334,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
Here is your best bet. DON'T TURN ON ESPN......EVER. I literally bought a package without ESPN in it for this reason.
But actually Stephen A. Smith and Will Cain were very fair and kept their heads very well, so I have no issue with them.
And they admitted that there is major support for President Trump on this issue.

Actually when Max Kellerman was debating with those guys he kept his head, but he was given a segment in the last 5 minutes called "Final Take" and that's where I'm quoting from.

That's the biggest shame, is that ESPN was happy with that kind of personal rhetoric and propaganda having the final say...

Old 09-27-2017, 08:03 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,551,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisanicole1 View Post
The players sure are not taking the knee when they are handed over an obscene amount of money to play a game...
One has literally zero to do with the other. Why do you people have such a hard time understanding this?

2,301 posts, read 2,032,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Don't know who this guy is, but he's awesome.

https://twitter.com/jay_gizzle/statu...28575449968640

Nails it.
The guy says that Chris Rock stated it best when he said that no white man in America would trade places with him despite the fact that he is rich. Well, of course there are countless white men who would trade places with Chris Rock. Probably many millions. That doesn't tell me anything.

I do not know exactly, precisely what the problem is. I do not know exactly what is being protested. There is racism to some level or another in this country but I wonder why Asians do not complain about anti Asian racism. Persons of Asian ethnicity fought against America in WWII, Korea, and Vietnam and I would think if anything would provoke racism, that would. So is there racism against Asian-Americans worthy of their protesting? If not, we should ask: why not?

For decades I have been saying that blacks need to join-up with the larger culture. If they don't, they will always be on the outside looking in. And in the case of blacks, unfortunately that often means on the outside in violent, substandard neighborhoods with single parent households. That's the reality, is it not? Even those citizens do not deserve to face racism, but it becomes difficult for members of the larger culture to automatically dismiss a feeling of angst harbored for individuals when there are negative statistics pertaining to their particular ethnicity. The problem has no end when persons voluntarily decide that they would rather be on the outside looking in, especially where, and how they live on the outside.

5,993 posts, read 3,731,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Again, not a free speech issue. Maybe read the Constitution, and/or take some law, or civics courses? mmmmkay?
I had plenty of civics courses in college. Enough to know that it is indeed a free speech issue. Mmmmkay?

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitem3 View Post
Chicago officers face reprimand for taking a knee in Instagram post.

Chicago officers face reprimand for taking a knee in Instagram post - KGUN9.com
This doesn't surprise me. But it is not the reprimand part I'm here to discuss. It is the attention part. Thanks to social media, taking the kneel will go viral, and continue to go viral. You can fire NFL players, but this movement won't stop there. It won't be limited to sports. The key word is attention. Even if it's negative attention it is still gaining attention to the cause.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies