Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should football players and university professors be easy to fire for their views?
Football players and university professors can be fired for their views. 142 43.03%
Neither can be fired for their views 188 56.97%
Voters: 330. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2017, 08:47 AM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Hard to talk about NFL ratings dropping when Monday Night Football won the week for September 18th - 24th.Thursday night got the second spot. Pre & Post games shows also in top five for week.

NFL dominating the ratings that week --
Yes, television viewership is dropping for everything.

7,800 posts, read 4,397,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Did anyone on the left "clearly" speak out against Kaepernick? No, some even continued with taking the knee. Did anyone on the left speak out against it? No, So Trump did. Oh so you're admitting it. Trump practiced free speech? And the left doesn't like Trump or his right to free speech and thought?

And now many are practicing their right to protest against the left's insistance of taking a knee.
Listen, I was never a fan of Kaepernick. Sometimes, these things just fade away, but not if you pour fuel on the fire.

This kneeling is now a movement caused by Trump's ill-considered tweets. I wouldn't kneel, but that is me.
Trump is president of the USA and he should be more thoughtful on the words he chooses to utter. How that is a controversial statement is way beyond me.

3,565 posts, read 1,920,365 times
Friendly reminder that it was military veteran who encouraged Kaepernick to kneel.
Quote:
Before he began kneeling during the national anthem, the 49ers’ Colin Kaepernick took a symbolic seat on the bench.

So what spurred the change in his protest? Former Seahawks player and Longhorn Nate Boyer said it’s because he wrote him a letter, CBS Sports reports.

Published in the Army Times, the letter drew on Boyer’s time serving as a Green Beret and expressed his stance on Kaepernick’s protest saying, “if I had noticed my teammate sitting on the bench, it would have really hurt me.”

It also led to a meeting between the two where they discussed their different stances on the issue.

"We sorta came to a middle ground where he would take a knee alongside his teammates," Boyer told CBS. "Soldiers take a knee in front of a fallen brother's grave, you know, to show respect. When we're on a patrol, you know, and we go into a security halt, we take a knee, and we pull security."
Why does Colin Kaepernick kneel? A letter from Nate Boyer

882 posts, read 688,283 times
Quote:
You obviously don't get it do you? Why pay the salaries of people who disrespect them and their country?
And in no way does that even come remotely close to refuting any of the comments I've made, but do continue. A very nice job of selectively choosing what you will comment on

Old 09-27-2017, 08:49 AM

10,006 posts, read 11,151,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skins_fan82 View Post
My biggest question about folks who are against kneeling for the anthem:

How can you say in one breathe that you are against kneeling because it is disrespectful to the troops and those who have fallen....

Yet you support Trump, a man who disrespected a POW in McCain. "I like people who weren't captured." That is unbelievably disrespectful, yet many Trump supporters cheered Trump when he said it.

Many Trump supporters take issue with football players silently and peacefully protesting a social issue that is important to them because they feel it disrespects the troops and fallen soldiers. But when Trump disrespects a POW for no reason at all other than to be cruel, Trump supporters don't have an issue with it.
I'm gonna spitball here for a second. Maybe (and this is not an opinion from me..I am not giving my take) white folks don't believe in the police brutality cause as a problem in this country and are unconsciously getting tired of the rhetoric.

7,800 posts, read 4,397,040 times
Quote:
Words and actions have consequences. Keep taking the knee and you already know the consequences paid by the fan base who's paying their salaries. No one is forcing the fan base to pay to listen or watch it
I don't disagree with that in the least. My point is going to the genesis of the current kneeling movement and Trump's role in fueling the flames.

34,229 posts, read 18,561,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Independentthinking View Post
So you would choose not to watch something you enjoyed when you could simply not watch a few minutes at the start of a game or use a "mute" button. Got it. In addition, what I'm seeing are people allowing someone they claim to be a moron (Colin Kaepernick) control their actions (even more interesting ).
I am choosing not to financially support a league which I view as hypocritical, and showing politics in which I disagree. In fact I won't tolerate any politics, even if I agreed with it. This is neither the time nor place. It is the same reason I don't watch ESPN, or go to a Bruce Springsteen concert.

So my choice isn't OK with you? Shouldn't I be able to not patronize companies I don't like?

Old 09-27-2017, 08:51 AM

39,073 posts, read 51,199,205 times
It is not a question of morality. Patriotism is not morality.

Old 09-27-2017, 08:52 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,700,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakformonday View Post
It wouldn't matter. The slave would probably be killed. Slaves were not considered human and animals have no soul or the ability to be morally justified. Note: I find this thinking disgusting.
I think what a lot of people desire, but not to the extreme, is what was depicted as happening to Kunta Kinte in the series "Roots". They want to break black folks so that we accept the names that they give us, metaphorically speaking. Since they cannot beat us into submission.....they want to turn the game off, since they cannot turn to a channel where we are 100% submissive.

Old 09-27-2017, 08:52 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,582,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
The national anthem is something very sacred to most Americans. Not standing for the national anthem, especially if you're in a high profile position, makes you look like a traitor to your nation.

People are right to question your loyalties and motives.
Sacred?

No. No human creation is sacred to me. Try another word.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies