Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should football players and university professors be easy to fire for their views?
Football players and university professors can be fired for their views. 142 43.03%
Neither can be fired for their views 188 56.97%
Voters: 330. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2017, 02:39 PM

28,353 posts, read 16,381,866 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuptag View Post
Doesn't the NFL operating manual (or whatever it is called) require players to stand for the anthem, helmet in left hand? Article 32 or something like that.

If players want to protest, go do it. But the NFL could have brought this to a swift end - like many business, don't wear the company uniform and do it on your own time.

This will go down as a management failure and not a free speech issue. I voted for Obama, I voted for Trump.

No. I believe it says something like "players should" not "players must". There is an ocean of difference between those two phrases.

Old 09-28-2017, 02:39 PM

6,732 posts, read 5,173,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spottednikes View Post
I'm conservative but thought they should have fired her for not doing her job...so your meme/analogy is based on a false premise.
Lol, not it's not.

She received a lot of support for denying those marriage licenses. I don't know what rock you were under in 2015.

Good grief.

Old 09-28-2017, 03:04 PM

2,594 posts, read 1,241,062 times
I can see why NFL players would be concerned about police brutality seeing as they get arrested on an almost weekly rate. Issues like this really hit home for these guys. As fans we need to see life through their eyes, walk a mile in their shoes. I know that if I was a violently aggressive, coked out, roided up millionaire and I was beating my wife I wouldn't want the cops to show up and rough me up.

Old 09-28-2017, 03:11 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybug07 View Post
haha ok. How did it go hand in hand with the current politics during that time period?
The statement was entertainers didn't get involved in politics in times past. They most certainly did.

Old 09-28-2017, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenFresno View Post
I can see why NFL players would be concerned about police brutality seeing as they get arrested on an almost weekly rate. Issues like this really hit home for these guys. As fans we need to see life through their eyes, walk a mile in their shoes. I know that if I was a violently aggressive, coked out, roided up millionaire and I was beating my wife I wouldn't want the cops to show up and rough me up.
So you lack any intelligent response to my posts and 8won6's posts, so you post this random, somehow even less intelligent post, obviously out of anger, bitterness and jealously.

Let me ask you, Myron Rolle went from NFL player to neurosurgeon, what are you doing with your life?

DeShaun Watson donated his first game check to Harvey victims, what did you do?

NFL athletes have done and contributed so much to their respective communities through various organizations and programs. You cry on message boards.

You should find a healthy outlet for your bitterness and fake outrage.

Old 09-28-2017, 03:19 PM

54,494 posts, read 33,866,725 times
This is a letter from retired Marine Col. Jeffrey A. Powers to the NFL Commissioner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xQ1dYFa1RA

Old 09-28-2017, 03:35 PM

51,652 posts, read 25,813,568 times
https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/913183253649133573

Those flagged-draped coffins referred to in the last post, what did those inside risk their lives for?

Did they go to war to force people into public displays of patriotism? Should everyone be required to wear a flag pin on their lapel?

Patriotism isn't about making everyone stand and salute the flag.

Patriotism is about making this a country where everyone wants to.

Old 09-28-2017, 03:40 PM

51,652 posts, read 25,813,568 times
If the whole idea of saluting the flag is to recognize the sacrifice of soldiers, let's have flag-draped coffins pulled around the field by draft horses before each game.

Accompanied by taps.

Would be a more fitting tribute and would bring home the true cost of our endless wars.

Old 09-28-2017, 03:42 PM

2,594 posts, read 1,241,062 times
[i]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post
So you lack any intelligent response to my posts and 8won6's posts, so you post this random, somehow even less intelligent post, obviously out of anger, bitterness and jealously.
When I see an intelligent post you've made I will make sure to respond to it. Till then I will just wait here.

Quote:
Let me ask you, Myron Rolle went from NFL player to neurosurgeon, what are you doing with your life?
I run my own company mostly. My company builds stuff, mostly useless things like bridges and buildings. I don't do anything important or useful like run with a ball in pads for entertainment.

Quote:
DeShaun Watson donated his first game check to Harvey victims, what did you do?
I spent time in third world countries building houses throughout my twenties. Good to see Mr. Watson getting his hands dirty.

Quote:
NFL athletes have done and contributed so much to their respective communities through various organizations and programs. You cry on message boards.
Pot meet kettle

Quote:
You should find a healthy outlet for your bitterness and fake outrage.
The irony

Old 09-28-2017, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenFresno View Post
[i]

When I see an intelligent post you've made I will make sure to respond to it. Till then I will just wait here.

I run my own company mostly. My company builds stuff, mostly useless things like bridges and buildings. I don't do anything important or useful like run with a ball in pads for entertainment.

I spent time in third world countries building houses throughout my twenties. Good to see Mr. Watson getting his hands dirty.

Pot meet kettle

The irony
1. You've seem them and ignored it. Don't know who you're attempting to convince. Now, be a man for once, and go back and respond to the posts.

2. That's cool, you don't save lives like neurosurgeons do. Pretty much what I thought. Your sarcasm speaks volumes. Bitter you lack the talent and work ethic to be a pro athlete, so it's easier to build up that defense mechanism. I really don't understand why, it's not a big deal to not be a pro athlete. However, it does speak volumes as to how you bash them, despite the amount of work and talent that is required, just because you aren't capable of being one. And then you blame the athletes, when it's the consumers who've determined their market value. Misguided anger. How sad.

Sorry no one wants to pay hundreds of dollars to watch you "build bridges".

3. I asked what you did for Hurricane Harvey victims. Try to keep up.

4. Yeah? Fine one post where I've went on a whiny rant about pro athletes, with baseless claims and ridiculous stereotypes.

5. I'm not the one outraged about athletes peacefully protesting, again, try to keep up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies