Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should football players and university professors be easy to fire for their views?
Football players and university professors can be fired for their views. 142 43.03%
Neither can be fired for their views 188 56.97%
Voters: 330. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2017, 07:55 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,015,822 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
I really think it was ignorant of LeSean McCoy to stretch during the anthem.
That's nothing new, players have always done things like that. I had season tickets for a few years when the Rams were in St. Louis. My seats were about 20 rows from the field, so I could easily see the players during the National Anthem. There was almost always a few players doing some sort of pregame warm up during that time such as stretching, throwing a football around, or kicking it into a net. Nobody cared back then, or at least not enough to voice their concerns. But now all of a sudden, it's the worst thing a player can do. Well, second worst since quietly kneeling during the National Anthem seems to be much worse then ignoring it.

Old 09-29-2017, 07:59 PM

9,742 posts, read 4,493,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
That's nothing new, players have always done things like that. I had season tickets for a few years when the Rams were in St. Louis. My seats were about 20 rows from the field, so I could easily see the players during the National Anthem. There was almost always a few players doing some sort of pregame warm up during that time such as stretching, throwing a football around, or kicking it into a net. Nobody cared back then, or at least not enough to voice their concerns. But now all of a sudden, it's the worst thing a player can do. Well, second worst since quietly kneeling during the National Anthem seems to be much worse then ignoring it.
Yep. And half the fans were still at the concession stand when the anthem was being played. And many ones that were in their seats either did not stand or were gabbing with their friends.

Personally, I do not know anyone that goes to a game to hear the anthem.

Old 09-29-2017, 08:01 PM

And here is another thought. If you are so damn patriotic and are saluting the flag you would not even notice some player kneeling. The flag is displayed upwards on the jumbotron. Seems if you see a player kneeling you are not paying attention to the anthem.

Old 09-29-2017, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_Jasper View Post
I think you are oversimplifying.

The media loves to sensationalize. Perhaps Kaepernick discussed this in earlier interviews, but it didn't sell, so it was ignored.

Athletes, actors and various entertainers are one per-centers (groups that most of their respective political party members abhor). The irony is not lost for most of us. I don't watch entertainment to be moved, I watch it to be entertained. However, I do welcome the times I am moved.

President Trump could have used the opportunity to offer inspiring words or unity, but instead chose to be divisive. I understand that he believes that he appeals to his base, but as a Trump supporter, this does not appeal to me.

I am curious of the number of NFLers that kneeled at the anthem this week... how many are familiar with Kaepernick and Boyer's story? How many knee-jerked reacted to a knee-jerk reaction?

If Kaepernick and Boyet's story is legitimate, then politics on both sides obfuscated the true meaning... and no one is better for it.

Not really. I personally do find it offensive that people equate a peaceful protest that involves kneeling to the anthem as an attack on veterans. As A vet I can say no one can speaks for all the vets. Some may find that offensive but many will not. Yet many of the people saying it disrespects vets, like Trump, never answered the call. I find that reprehensible. I find it vile that he would use vets to score political points.

I would think all patriotic Trump supporters would call Trump out on this. There should be no debate on this one.

Old 09-29-2017, 08:11 PM

4,958 posts, read 2,235,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
Not really. I personally do find it offensive that people equate a peaceful protest that involves kneeling to the anthem as an attack on veterans. As A vet I can say no one can speaks for all the vets. Some may find that offensive but many will not. Yet many of the people saying it disrespects vets, like Trump, never answered the call. I find that reprehensible. I find it vile that he would use vets to score political points.

I would think all patriotic Trump supporters would call Trump out on this. There should be no debate on this one.
As I understand, your perspective is the only correct perspective. Good luck with making progress.

Old 09-29-2017, 08:28 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,514,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Hard to get through a list of that size without being a consumer of something, right?

Oh, I might quit. If the Bears can't stop losing, I'll have no choice.
You have no choice.

Old 09-29-2017, 08:28 PM

21,463 posts, read 10,568,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Hmmmm....you do realize that people hated MLK before he was assassinated right....

Same type of people had an issue with his non-violent protests that you have with these NFL player's non-violent protest.

Where do you get that kneeling is violent and not "peaceful and sympathetic." IMO kneeling is a show of respect and a very honorable thing to do.

I think many of you just don't want the blacks doing anything you don't like cause you don't want to think about the blacks and think they're all lying and fit every stereotype that you hold of them. I really don't get why you brought up violence in regards to kneeling during an athem.

On the OP, no one calls people a racist for honoring the flag or anthem. That is just your imagination or you being naive and listening to some nut on a video gripe about being an oppressed white man who can't watch the blacks entertain him anymore without having to see them kneel.
I'm not racist, nor am I stupid. I know people didn't like MLK at the time, but they lost. Why? Because MLK was a lot smarter and a better strategic thinker than these guys. They have a media totally on their side and a huge platform to be heard, but they choose to protest in a way that pisses off the people they want to reach. That's bad strategy, and I'm not racist for thinking it or pointing it out.

Apparently people think all white people want to hate black people. That's stupid. I don't hate black people. I'm not trying to hold onto some stereotype in my mind about black people. I have neighbors and friends and even family members who are black.

Oh, and I brought up violence regarding the BLM protests, and sympathetic regarding the anthem protests.

Old 09-29-2017, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_Jasper View Post
As I understand, your perspective is the only correct perspective. Good luck with making progress.
Good luck pimping for a draft dodger and claiming to be a patriot. Square that one.

Old 09-29-2017, 08:35 PM

10,451 posts, read 4,034,271 times
Quote:
Okay. First off the funeral thing was specifically protesting against the military. Kneeling during the anthem is not a protest against the military. You want to take it that way? That is merely your interpretation. And a weak one at that as the protesters themselves have talked about that matter. What about flying the confederate flag. I find that honoring traitors to america. What is your opinion on that?
I agree with that as well. I also think it should be against the law to come to this country from another one, and then post your previous country's flag. I see it all of the time. I'm like, if your country was so great, than why are you here?

Old 09-29-2017, 08:37 PM

10,451 posts, read 4,034,271 times
Quote:
Good luck pimping for a draft dodger and claiming to be a patriot. Square that one.
I'd rather have a draft dodger, than a pos like Hillary that actually left Americans to die on foreign soil, and then tried to cover it up!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies