Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should football players and university professors be easy to fire for their views?
Football players and university professors can be fired for their views. 142 43.03%
Neither can be fired for their views 188 56.97%
Voters: 330. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2017, 02:18 AM

1,866 posts, read 647,271 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBeisbol View Post
Maybe he feels oppressed 90% of the time, or 100%, or 50%
Why on earth would you think he only feels oppressed during the anthem?
Have you seen Colin Kaepernick's house ? I would love to be 'oppressed' if that is the result.

Already, Kaepernick's wealth made it very difficult for ordinary Americans to relate to him on ordinary day-to-day living, let alone major sociopolitical issues like race relations.

No one is saying the US has perfect race relations. As an Asian-American, I have personally experienced bigotry in America. But as I also have been to other countries, I noticed and decided that the US has made progress in race relations in ways that other countries do not, have not, and even refused to do. Whenever the Chinese government organize a public protest against Japan, usually around the annual visit of the Japanese Prime Minister to the Yasukuni Shrine, race is used by the Chinese government as a motivating factor. In Japan, there is an unspoken agreement that the Yamato race is the superior Asiatic stock.

No, I am not saying that racial bigotry in other countries somehow make more palatable the racial bigotry in the US.

But I am saying that the progress the US made in race relations made the US the more attractive destination for anyone of any race and ethnicity. In the same vein, it is hard to swallow the claim that there is still systematic racial oppression towards blacks in the US.

There are three ways a country can be racist:

- By custom,
- By law,
- And by both custom and law.

Apartheid South Africa and pre Civil War US was the last item.

Today, if there is any racism in the US -- and there are -- it is by custom.

You can nullify a law or remove it completely from enforcement and you can do it literally overnight. But you cannot undo a lifetime of psychological conditioning. For this, you need generational changes.

I will simplify it for you...

- Your grandfather insists that blacks use separate drinking fountains and sits at the back of the bus.

- Your father concede that blacks can sit anywhere on the bus but still must use their own drinking fountains.

- You ???

It is YOUR mission today to either progress from your father's position or regress towards where your grandfather was. Ask blacks living in China or blacks in Africa working for the Chinese on how they are viewed by the Chinese. And it is not positive.

So when Americans TWICE elected a black president and when blacks are often admired in venues like sports, entertainment, and business, it is difficult to accept Colin Kaepernick's claim that he, representative of blacks, is somehow 'oppressed'.

By the way, athletes at the professional level are very much businessmen. It does not matter if they are businessmen by their own acumen or by advice from a squadron of attorneys. They are successful businessmen promoting their own selves and brands.

So yes, it is very difficult for ordinary Americans who saves and scrimps to pay at least a couple hundreds dollars per game to see racial oppression as interpreted by celebrity black athletes who often hold lavish parties, drives expensive cars, dates beautiful women of all races/ethnicities, and travels in first class.

Old 10-02-2017, 02:35 AM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times
Kaepernick hasn't knelt in months. Not everyone that marched with MLK was black.

Everything doesn't have to be about you.

Old 10-02-2017, 07:12 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,598,192 times
All Houston Texans, once again, stood for the anthem; therefore, I'm still watching their games.

All the Titans stood as well.

Old 10-02-2017, 07:27 AM

12,270 posts, read 11,324,549 times
Default Some Interesting Poll Numbers

Compiled by the Washington Examiner and reported by Bron York -

Byron York: On game day, new polls show what Americans think about NFL protests, Trump

Old 10-02-2017, 07:48 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,638,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
All Houston Texans, once again, stood for the anthem; therefore, I'm still watching their games.

All the Titans stood as well.
they could lay down for all I care.. I'm still watching.

Old 10-02-2017, 07:58 AM

553 posts, read 615,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Lol.
You can do what you want. Watch...it's going to expand into the NBA.
The NBA players will stand. Unlike in the NFL, the NBA's anthem policy is an enforceable league rule, and they will enforce it. Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf learned that the hard way when he refused to stand in 1996 and the NBA suspended him. He eventually reached a deal with the league in he was allowed pray silently during the anthem as in the picture below, but he still had to stand.

Old 10-02-2017, 08:05 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,598,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
they could lay down for all I care.. I'm still watching.
I get that.

Some people cheered on Michael Vick and Ray Lewis. If people will cheer for a man who tortures animals or one who murdered, I'd think some people would cheer a player that deuced on the flag during the anthem.

Old 10-02-2017, 08:13 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,719,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I have been watching less and less of the NFL because the game is simply not what it used to be, the anthem protests are just the icing on the cake. I realize it's for player safety but I miss the days of say McMahon limping around on the field with basically a cast on his leg and Madden talking about "parts" getting fixed. It's lost a lot of excitement.
Do you remember the Steelers and the "Drive for Five"? Now that's when football was football. Now liberals turned it into another college campus.

Old 10-02-2017, 08:26 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,570,419 times
I never understood the obsession with sports. I have much better things to spend 3hrs on rather than sit in front of a tv watching a bunch of grown men play with a ball.

Old 10-02-2017, 09:01 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by louie0406 View Post
I never understood the obsession with sports. I have much better things to spend 3hrs on rather than sit in front of a tv watching a bunch of grown men play with a ball.
Good For You!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies