Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should football players and university professors be easy to fire for their views?
Football players and university professors can be fired for their views. 142 43.03%
Neither can be fired for their views 188 56.97%
Voters: 330. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2017, 11:03 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobber123rd View Post
The NBA players will stand. Unlike in the NFL, the NBA's anthem policy is an enforceable league rule, and they will enforce it. Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf learned that the hard way when he refused to stand in 1996 and the NBA suspended him. He eventually reached a deal with the league in he was allowed pray silently during the anthem as in the picture below, but he still had to stand.
The protests will expand into the NBA. I don't care how they go about it. Yesterday players knelt before the anthem and then stood and locked arms for the anthem.

Even then, if some big names decide to kneel the NBA will be in quite a quandary.

Old 10-02-2017, 11:21 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
I have to note that this is the most effective protest against unjust and criminal actions by some of the police in our society I have ever seen.

Unlike what we may or may not have done when in 'Nam we had Government Sanction! The policeman that kill unarmed people should not. We have to realize that Policeman shooting at unarmed people regardless of race are not SOLDIERS. They are Police.

Old 10-02-2017, 11:57 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,720,048 times
Quote:
The NBA players will stand. Unlike in the NFL, the NBA's anthem policy is an enforceable league rule, and they will enforce it. Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf learned that the hard way when he refused to stand in 1996 and the NBA suspended him. He eventually reached a deal with the league in he was allowed pray silently during the anthem as in the picture below, but he still had to stand.
You think the NBA is going to enforce that? Not a chance in hell

There is zero chance that (a) at least one NBA player doesn't fail to stand, and (b) that the league risks starting discord among the players who hold all the power against the league. Even the commissioner Sterling was congratulating Carmelo Anthony and others for speaking out ta the ESPN awards. He's going to encourage all of this even if it means completely disrespecting the United States.

Question is how will patriotic fans react, I foresee a drop in ratings this year for the NBA too

Old 10-02-2017, 12:11 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,527,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
you can be mad. it wont help. you may not know or realize it but the facts are these.
Those of us who served did do with that flag burned into or brain as a representation of all we hold dear. I do not care what these people say, they disrespected that flag and the memories of all of those we lost along the way. period. they don't get to define that.

More importantly, these guys who have alienated us DO very much need US way more than we need them. you think 300 guys taking a knee changes anything? The people that can bring pressure to bare aren't the guys on their knees. its all those hundreds of thousands filling the stadiums that can bring the pressure to cause change. Those people have been alienated to the point that there wont be support.

period.
You don't speak for all Vets. I know many that insist they are availing themselves of the right that Veterans fought for.

Period.

Old 10-02-2017, 12:14 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,720,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
I know many that insist they are availing themselves of the right that Veterans fought for.
you think most vets think it's ok to not respect the flag at an official function?

I have a bridge to sell you.

Old 10-02-2017, 12:17 PM

15,355 posts, read 12,651,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
you think most vets think it's ok to not respect the flag at an official function?

most? probably not but it definitely isn't as high as you guys would believe. Most times what I see online is people who didn't serve using their family members service as the reason for their poutrage.

They fail to realize vets fought for the right for Americans to protest freely.

Old 10-02-2017, 12:21 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,527,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post

First ~ you have to point out where I said 'most".

Then - you can go on about your bridge.

Old 10-02-2017, 12:39 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I have to note that this is the most effective protest against unjust and criminal actions by some of the police in our society I have ever seen.

Unlike what we may or may not have done when in 'Nam we had Government Sanction! The policeman that kill unarmed people should not. We have to realize that Policeman shooting at unarmed people regardless of race are not SOLDIERS. They are Police.
Then why are so many her in this thread talking about Trump?

This is about disrespecting this country, making a political statement and divisiveness.

Old 10-02-2017, 12:42 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Then why are so many her in this thread talking about Trump?

This is about disrespecting this country, making a political statement and divisiveness.
and it seems, from watching a few games yesterday, not all teams have players taking a knee. Good for them.

Old 10-02-2017, 12:58 PM

1,700 posts, read 1,045,543 times
Quote:
Good example and good memory. But times have changed now. Confederate statues are being torn down. George Washington is a bad guy and the constitution is invalid because it was written a long time ago. "Nazis" are attacked while trying to speak on campus. Men are turning into women and women are turning into men and some are "fluid" meaning they change often. A just heard about a woman who became a man had a baby. All of a sudden the whole left, not just the fringe, wants government run healthcare.

1996 isn't that long ago in terms of actual years, but things are much different now. Yeah 1996 really isn't that long ago...boy things move quick these days. Imagine in another 20 years what we will have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies