Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should football players and university professors be easy to fire for their views?
Football players and university professors can be fired for their views. 142 43.03%
Neither can be fired for their views 188 56.97%
Voters: 330. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2017, 09:02 AM

3,565 posts, read 1,920,042 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Hemi View Post
So you’re saying people that aren’t victims of breast cancer can’t advocate for a cure and spread awareness? pretty close minded wouldnt you think?
It's an interesting look into some people's mindset, isn't it?

Old 10-04-2017, 09:07 AM

29,526 posts, read 9,696,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roderic View Post
As long as the government stays out of it -- I have no issues.

That is the beauty of the First Amendment. And the First is a double edged sword that can cut the wielder as well as the target.

If you claim the right to the First, then do not complain if I claim the same and challenge you.

Again -- Explain why is it unreasonable to take politics and social issues outside of the stadium ?

If you say it is unreasonable, then the burden is upon you to show how because being reasonable implies at least one equally effective alternative if not more. And in this day and age of media -- there are more.

You know that there are more and that is why you -- and others -- have consistently avoided this question.

There are many exceptional factors working in Kaepernick's favors, factors that most of us do not have.

- He is black.
- He is a professional athlete.
- He is wealthy.
- He is renown.

So explain why and how Kaepernick DOES NOT have alternative venues for his political and social grievances against the US ?
I am a little confused by this comment, but let me see if I can untangle it...

I think we agree about the government staying out of it, and/or why I oppose Trump getting involved the way he did, but of course much of the issue relates to government, governance, law enforcement, especially after Trump decided to get involved.

I don't complain about anyone exercising their 1st Amendment right, you or anyone. Challenge away!

Not sure who is arguing it is unreasonable to take politics and social issues outside the stadium. Not me. That often occurs as well. Point is that it is not unreasonable for Kap to take a knee inside the stadium either. Certainly legal and within his rights anyway. Where/how is he most likely to bring attention to the issue as he intended? Not sure he could have done better than he did inside the stadium like he did. Right?

Also not sure who has consistently "avoided this question." I don't recall it being posed before, but that's my answer plain and simple.

Seems you and yours are avoiding the respect for Kap's rights whether you think them reasonable, appropriate, agreeable or not. Like I respect yours.

Old 10-04-2017, 09:18 AM

77,005 posts, read 47,592,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisanicole1 View Post
It was so nice taking part in the anthem at Yankee Stadium last night. All players stood, almost every fan sang.. I guess that is why baseball is "Americas Past Time".. The NFL should watch and learn.
Those liberal America hating New Yorkers......

Old 10-04-2017, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Again.......I am pro-life. I completely support the 2nd Amendment. I believe we should balance the budget. I believe we should enforce the border. What makes me a "lib"?

Maybe you should think a bit, why you see things this way.
You keep repeating this about you as if ALL these things are contrary to being liberal. Again, other than being pro-life (as in anti-women's choice), I am all these things too, and I AM a liberal! Lots of conservatives are pro-choice too!

"We believe in balanced budgets and paying down our national debt, while Republicans continue to put huge burdens on future generations by borrowing hundreds of billions of dollars from foreign nations. We want to restore the budget discipline of the 1990s that helped eliminate deficits and spur record economic growth."

Democratic Party on Budget & Economy

Of course there is party platform and then there is what Congress actually does, because both parties want different things, we all know that.

Don't mind you so much representing yourself as you wish, but misrepresenting what makes a "lib" is difficult to keep reading...

Old 10-04-2017, 09:27 AM

79,913 posts, read 44,161,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
You keep repeating this about you as if ALL these things are contrary to being liberal. Again, other than being pro-life (as in anti-women's choice), I am all these things too, and I AM a liberal! Lots of conservatives are pro-choice too!

"We believe in balanced budgets and paying down our national debt, while Republicans continue to put huge burdens on future generations by borrowing hundreds of billions of dollars from foreign nations. We want to restore the budget discipline of the 1990s that helped eliminate deficits and spur record economic growth."

Of course there is party platform and then there is what Congress actually does, because both parties want different things, we all know that.

Don't mind you so much representing yourself as you wish, but misrepresenting what makes a "lib" is difficult to keep reading...
I believe it, not just say that I do. Was my statement somewhat of a generalization? Indeed. I'm not a "Conservative" either. The point is people always have to place stupid labels to generalize people because they can't actually address the issue straight forward.

Old 10-04-2017, 09:28 AM

3,841 posts, read 1,977,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Those liberal America hating New Yorkers......
LOL.. I guess not all liberals hate America after all

Seriously, during the National Anthem the atmosphere was amazing. My very liberal husband turned to me and said "wow, i just got the chills"...

We should all come together as Americans not divide. That is what it seemed NY'ers (and ALL of the players) were doing at the game last night. Much better than the divide we have been seeing in the NFL. More good comes from good than negative. Lately, the NFL with this protest has been largely negative.

Old 10-04-2017, 09:28 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,877,781 times
Quote:

Of course. Liberals want a balanced budget as does Conservatives. The Liberals and Conservatives in Washington D.C. have to compromise in ways that makes a balanced budget impossible unless they make concessions to their negotiable issues and the other side doesn't go after non-negotiable issues. The problem with both sides is that the modern day Conservatives have too many non-negotiable dealbreakers and ask Liberals to move on theirs. That's not how compromise works, that's exactly how obstruction works.

Old 10-04-2017, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisanicole1 View Post
LOL.. I guess not all liberals hate America after all

Seriously, during the National Anthem the atmosphere was amazing. My very liberal husband turned to me and said "wow, i just got the chills"...

We should all come together as Americans not divide. That is what it seemed NY'ers (and ALL of the players) were doing at the game last night. Much better than the divide we have been seeing in the NFL. More good comes from good than negative. Lately, the NFL with this protest has been largely negative.
I certainly do not disagree that we all need to come together to address this issue. I've asked for comments concerning what is going on with the police force in Baltimore but it seems people have no desire to even acknowledge it, let alone discuss it.

Old 10-04-2017, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I believe it, not just say that I do. Was my statement somewhat of a generalization? Indeed. I'm not a "Conservative" either. The point is people always have to place stupid labels to generalize people because they can't actually address the issue straight forward.
I'm sure we would disagree whether you or anyone can avoid being either liberal or conservative, more or less, when all accounting of opinion about all the issues is properly represented and weighted, but that's well beyond this "generalization" you seem to be making. Probably best to just leave it at that.

Your point is well taken but your effort is not helped any by improperly defining what is a "lib" and what is not. Here's to avoiding such labels in the first place. We're certainly agreed about that in any case...

Old 10-04-2017, 10:04 AM

Quote:
I'm sure we would disagree whether you or anyone can avoid being either liberal or conservative, more or less, when all accounting of opinion about all the issues is properly represented and weighted, but that's well beyond this "generalization" you seem to be making. Probably best to just leave it at that.

Your point is well taken but your effort is not helped any by improperly defining what is a "lib" and what is not. Here's to avoiding such labels in the first place. We're certainly agreed about that in any case...
I wasn't trying to define anything. I was being dismissive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies