Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should football players and university professors be easy to fire for their views?
Football players and university professors can be fired for their views. 142 43.03%
Neither can be fired for their views 188 56.97%
Voters: 330. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2017, 10:47 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,363,818 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPLimey View Post
Maybe a better question would be why the public is funding stadiums in the first instance. Whether a mediocre QB stands or kneels during the National Anthem affects me a lot less than my local legislature throwing 9 figures at an already-rich owner to support a Congresionally-sanctioned monopolistic endeavor solely aimed at lining said owners' pockets.
Do you vote?

If so, can't complain.

Old 10-08-2017, 10:54 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
Week 5. Great season. Lots of suprises. Allthe naysayers having no affect.,
Lol.

Oh yeah, the owners are feeling it.

Old 10-08-2017, 11:14 PM

3,564 posts, read 1,922,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
A good commentary on this topic:

Why the national anthem protests are failing
By "good", you mean "terrible", I hope.

Dumb Question:
Quote:
"NFL fans expect Sunday football to be an escape from the politicization of all things. There are many reasons for this — but a not insignificant one is that taxpayers provide publicly funded stadiums to billionaire owners and millionaire players for almost every team in the league. We are all footing the bill for NFL players' workplaces. Why should they become venues for partisan protest?
Better question: why are tax payers paying for billionaires' property?

Dumb thought:
Quote:
"Furthermore, just as much as they value sportsmanship between competitors, fans value that moment of unity when we can put aside all of our agendas and come together simply as Americans. Any demonstration — kneeling, sitting, arm-linking — distracts from that unity. It steals that moment from fans, who wonder with some justification why athletes can't use their celebrity power to pick some other time for their protest rather than shove it down our throats after all the support fans already give these players and teams."
Better thought: Thinking that bringing problems to people's attention is "shove[ing] it down our throats" is an ******* thing to think

Old 10-08-2017, 11:18 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,330,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBeisbol View Post
By "good", you mean "terrible", I hope.

Dumb Question:

Better question: why are tax payers paying for billionaires' property?

Dumb thought:

Better thought: Thinking that bringing problems to people's attention is "shove[ing] it down our throats" is an ******* thing to think
Powerful refutation.

Give beisbol a num-num. No, one of the stale ones.

Old 10-08-2017, 11:29 PM

15,063 posts, read 6,175,095 times
I'll say this here as well. I see no issue with non-violent protest. People just want something to gripe about. If you dont agree, then don't kneel or give a fist, etc. It doesn't affect your life.

Too many people in the States have nothing to do.

Old 10-08-2017, 11:50 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,591,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
That's really a dumb thing to say. This is about equality which are flag is supposed to represent. And people are not treated equally in our country. I'm glad some are standing up for them. And the NFL will be just fine because most don't care about this.
The only people not treated equally in our country are those who fall victim to liberal policies like affirmative action.

Old 10-09-2017, 12:07 AM

16,911 posts, read 10,591,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
You would be wrong about that. That's all everybody is talking on the job on monday, about how their favorite teams did on sunday. When I went to the Buffalo Wings place, the football game is on screens everywhere in the place and the place is packed. So far I see no major hit to the league, most stadiums seems to have good crowds. The league will survive this, and Super Bowl parties will be everywhere.
Ratings are way down, and will hopefully fall even farther:

https://www.google.com/amp/insider.f.../article/58391

Advertisers getting nervous:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.yah...161454056.html

Old 10-09-2017, 12:38 AM

1,874 posts, read 649,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
"Reflexively" do what? Again you lost me...
If someone challenge your opinion, do not reflexively assert to your right to your opinion. Of course, you have that right.

If someone challenge your opinion, it is the CONTENTS of your opinion that matters. Usually, the first thing any celebrity say -- whenever whatever they say is criticized -- is to the line of 'I have the right to say it.'

It is an intellectually dishonest tactic because it immediately put the speaker as the victim and the challenger as the oppressor.

Old 10-09-2017, 12:40 AM

12,547 posts, read 9,936,246 times
Not seeing a drop off at Buffalo Wild Wings or in chit chat at work doesn't mean there's no drop off. NFL revenue is about $12 BILLION/year so even just a 8% drop in viewership/buying/enthusiasm could mean close to $1 billion in lost revenue. 8% in terms of people at Buffalo Wild Wings would mean there's 184 people instead of 200. Noticeable? Probably not.

Old 10-09-2017, 04:07 AM

7,737 posts, read 5,518,049 times
The poll attached in this thread is so reflective of this Alt Right Forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies