Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should football players and university professors be easy to fire for their views?
Football players and university professors can be fired for their views. 142 43.03%
Neither can be fired for their views 188 56.97%
Voters: 330. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2017, 05:30 AM

4,783 posts, read 3,296,089 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Actually, I'd say most true football fans would choose college football over the NFL if push came to shove.

Additionally, I don't care if there were just one restaurant, if I was intentionally insulted, it would be just like there were none.

I'm guessing you voted in the last POTUS election?
Most true Football fans will stay with the NFL. Many true fans watch both the NFL and college. Part of being a college fan is seeing how far their top players will go in the NFL. For the casual fan that abandons the NFL, yes some may go to college. Who ever was going to stop watching the NFL due to protests has probably already done so. I think the damage is pretty much done.

Yes I voted in the last election. What does that have to do with the NFL?

Old 10-14-2017, 05:37 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,598,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff View Post
Most true Football fans will stay with the NFL. Many true fans watch both the NFL and college. Part of being a college fan is seeing how far their top players will go in the NFL. For the casual fan that abandons the NFL, yes some may go to college. Who ever was going to stop watching the NFL due to protests has probably already done so. I think the damage is pretty much done.

Yes I voted in the last election. What does that have to do with the NFL?
Well, apparently you are correct that NFL is more popular:

America loves college football, just not as much as NFL or MLB | FOX Sports

As far as the voting for POTUS goes, my point is that you seem to take a crappy product over none at all. Unless you did a write -in I suppose.

Old 10-14-2017, 05:51 AM

51,651 posts, read 25,790,245 times
So tomorrow, anyone who takes a knee doesn't play. Is that the deal?

This ought to be a good time.

Old 10-14-2017, 05:52 AM

4,783 posts, read 3,296,089 times
Quote:
Well, apparently you are correct that NFL is more popular:

America loves college football, just not as much as NFL or MLB | FOX Sports

As far as the voting for POTUS goes, my point is that you seem to take a crappy product over none at all. Unless you did a write -in I suppose.
No actually I put my nose in the air and voted for Gary Johnson. I would certainly say both Clinton and Trump were a crappy product. My first choice would of been John Kasick. He was the closest to the center.

As far as sports, that is how I earned my living for 40 plus years. I look at talent over anything else.

Old 10-14-2017, 05:53 AM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post

No, it's not the deal. Pay attention.

https://ca.reuters.com/article/canad...BN1CI24Y-OCASP

Old 10-14-2017, 07:15 AM

51,651 posts, read 25,790,245 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
No, it's not the deal. Pay attention.

https://ca.reuters.com/article/canad...BN1CI24Y-OCASP

“Like many of our fans, we believe that everyone should stand for the national anthem,” Goodell said in a letter sent to owners on Tuesday.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/10/s...ling.html?_r=0

Jones, owner of the Cowboys, was clear that if they don't stand, they don't play.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/c...lowed-to-play/

Need to keep up.

Old 10-14-2017, 07:22 AM

9,254 posts, read 3,582,768 times
Quote:
“Like many of our fans, we believe that everyone should stand for the national anthem,” Goodell said in a letter sent to owners on Tuesday.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/10/s...ling.html?_r=0

Jones, owner of the Cowboys, was clear that if they don't stand, they don't play.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/c...lowed-to-play/

Need to keep up.
I don't believe Jones will put his money where his mouth is because he cares a lot more about winning than the flag, and Goodell's statement is just a collection of platitudes with no teeth. The NFL has definitively said there will be no consequences for refusing to stand, at least as of right now.

Old 10-14-2017, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPLimey View Post
I don't believe Jones will put his money where his mouth is because he cares a lot more about winning than the flag, and Goodell's statement is just a collection of platitudes with no teeth. The NFL has definitively said there will be no consequences for refusing to stand, at least as of right now.
The question is whether he cares more about money.

The players will also need to decide. When they aren't on the field, they are losing value and possibly money.

Old 10-14-2017, 07:50 AM

9,254 posts, read 3,582,768 times
Quote:
The question is whether he cares more about money.

The players will also need to decide. When they aren't on the field, they are losing value and possibly money.
No. If a player is benched for failing to stand for the National Anthem, he will get paid since there is nothing in the CBA that requires him to stand.

Old 10-14-2017, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPLimey View Post
No. If a player is benched for failing to stand for the National Anthem, he will get paid since there is nothing in the CBA that requires him to stand.
That is true for players with no outside endorsements or any future contracts that will come up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies