Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should football players and university professors be easy to fire for their views?
Football players and university professors can be fired for their views. 142 43.03%
Neither can be fired for their views 188 56.97%
Voters: 330. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2017, 06:17 AM

58,463 posts, read 26,784,841 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawgfan View Post
So says you. I disagree.

I cannot believe how frail patriotism is to some. My patriotism is strong. You, some athletes or some large group are incapable of affecting it. It must suck to be so weak.
"
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones
Proper respect of flag and country involves standing at attention if able for the anthem. To kneel is a willful disrespect of these norms and is making a statement that you do not respect the flag and county

So says you. I disagree.

It doesn't matter if YOU disagree or not.

36 U.S. Code § 301 - National anthem

prev | next
(a)Designation.— The composition consisting of the words and music known as the Star-Spangled Banner is the national anthem.

(b)Conduct During Playing.—During a rendition of the national anthem— (1) when the flag is displayed— (A) individuals in uniform should give the military salute at the first note of the anthem and maintain that position until the last note;

(B) members of the Armed Forces and veterans who are present but not in uniform may render the military salute in the manner provided for individuals in uniform; and

(C) all other persons present should face the flag and stand at attention with their right hand over the heart, and men not in uniform, if applicable, should remove their headdress with their right hand and hold it at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart; and

(2) when the flag is not displayed, all present should face toward the music and act in the same manner they would if the flag were displayed.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/36/301

" It must suck to be so weak"

Are you WEAK wen you show respect to your mother, father, husband/wife/ or anyone else?

Do you respect laws?

Or maybe you DON'T respect any of them.

Sad, so sad!

Old 10-21-2017, 08:55 AM

24,242 posts, read 16,917,394 times
Default Is it just me... NFL kneelers solution?

I was listening to sports talk radio yesterday and it seems that some of the NFL players met with the commissioner to try and find a solution to this kneeling that is hurting ratings and revenue with its offensive nature.

The guy that was talking about the problems that black people in America face with the criminal justice system and one of the issues he highlighted really struck me.

He basically said that there is a problem when a young black man steals $150 worth of clothes then spends the next 2-3 months in jail awaiting his date with the judge because he and his family cannot find the bail bond money to get his butt out of jail. The solution they seem to want to push is to go with some sort of bail system that does not use cash so something else can be put up so little D'johny can get out of jail...

Is it just me... or can this whole issue of poor families not having the money to bail out one of their own be easily resolved if D'johny didn't steal in the first place?

If we overturn the need for cash bail to appease the demands of the black community would we actually be condoning their desire/ need to steal in the first place?
It doesn't make sense to change the rules to make a criminal action acceptable.

If this really is a concern with the NFL players why don't they pool their money to start a fund for needy families if one of their kids gets arrested for a petty crime and cannot post bail. Better yet why don't they start a program that teaches that stealing is wrong and their are consequences if you do it and are caught?

Old 10-21-2017, 10:20 AM

33,943 posts, read 22,381,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones
Proper respect of flag and country involves standing at attention if able for the anthem. To kneel is a willful disrespect of these norms and is making a statement that you do not respect the flag and county

So says you. I disagree.

It doesn't matter if YOU disagree or not.

36 U.S. Code § 301 - National anthem

prev | next
(a)Designation.— The composition consisting of the words and music known as the Star-Spangled Banner is the national anthem.

(b)Conduct During Playing.—During a rendition of the national anthem— (1) when the flag is displayed— (A) individuals in uniform should give the military salute at the first note of the anthem and maintain that position until the last note;

(B) members of the Armed Forces and veterans who are present but not in uniform may render the military salute in the manner provided for individuals in uniform; and

(C) all other persons present should face the flag and stand at attention with their right hand over the heart, and men not in uniform, if applicable, should remove their headdress with their right hand and hold it at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart; and

(2) when the flag is not displayed, all present should face toward the music and act in the same manner they would if the flag were displayed.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/36/301

" It must suck to be so weak"

Are you WEAK wen you show respect to your mother, father, husband/wife/ or anyone else?

Do you respect laws?

Sad, so sad!
There is no law that forces anyone to stand. IF there was - ya'll would all be guilty.

What the other poster was referring to was that a handful of football players can so terrify those that call themselves patriots.

Old 10-21-2017, 10:38 AM

13,242 posts, read 4,870,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
There is no law that forces anyone to stand. IF there was - ya'll would all be guilty.

What the other poster was referring to was that a handful of football players can so terrify those that call themselves patriots.
True that.

Although there is a law preventing a "covered government person" from meddling in the "employment decisions or employment practices of any private entity":

Quote:
18 U.S. Code § 227 - Wrongfully influencing a private entity’s employment decisions by a Member of Congress or an officer or employee of the legislative or executive branch:

(a) Whoever, being a covered government person, with the intent to influence, solely on the basis of partisan political affiliation, an employment decision or employment practice of any private entity—

(1) takes or withholds, or offers or threatens to take or withhold, an official act, or

(2) influences, or offers or threatens to influence, the official act of another,
shall be fined under this title or imprisoned for not more than 15 years, or both, and may be disqualified from holding any office of honor, trust, or profit under the United States.

(b) In this section, the term “covered government person” means—

(1) a Senator or Representative in, or a Delegate or Resident Commissioner to, the Congress;

(2) an employee of either House of Congress; or

(3) the President, Vice President, an employee of the United States Postal Service or the Postal Regulatory Commission, or any other executive branch employee (as such term is defined under section 2105 of title 5, United States Code).
https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/227

Old 10-21-2017, 11:12 AM

3,565 posts, read 1,903,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Do you respect laws?

Sad, so sad!
Imagine calling out other for not respecting laws when you, yourself, don't seem to know what is and isn't a law.

Old 10-21-2017, 11:54 AM

No comments?
Anyone?

Old 10-21-2017, 12:06 PM

39,797 posts, read 26,288,398 times
Let me ask you a few questions.

First, do you work for a living?

If so, do you attack the customers of your employer? Do you go out of your way to insult them? To degrade their beliefs?

Do you make it a point of embracing a racist hate group and ensure that it is known in as public a manner as possible?

By your actions do you deliberately and repeatedly hurt your employer's income and business?

If so-what do you think YOUR employer should do? Or if you happen to be an employer-what would YOU do with an employee that did those things? I am quite sure mine would rightfully fire me and that I'd likely never get another job in the area.

Old 10-21-2017, 12:21 PM

3,565 posts, read 1,903,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post

If so, do you attack the customers of your employer? Do you go out of your way to insult them? To degrade their beliefs?

Do you make it a point of embracing a racist hate group and ensure that it is known in as public a manner as possible?

By your actions do you deliberately and repeatedly hurt your employer's income and business?

If so-what do you think YOUR employer should do? Or if you happen to be an employer-what would YOU do with an employee that did those things? I am quite sure mine would rightfully fire me and that I'd likely never get another job in the area.
Maybe the OP should have been more specific. He/She probably wanted comments regarding the post. Not this idiot tangent you went on.

Old 10-21-2017, 12:45 PM

6,732 posts, read 5,140,803 times
NFL athletes confront counter protests by donating to charitable organizations and meeting with local PDs, city officials, etc., to improve relations with police and the local community.

White Nationalists confront counter protesters by running them over, violently attacking them and shooting at them.

Yet, the focus is on athletes kneeling (and being huge hypocrites, too).

Sad commentary.

Last edited by ATG5; 10-21-2017 at 12:54 PM..

Old 10-21-2017, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post

I don't understand how your point has anything to do with my post.

I think what you are trying to say is that the NFL players that are kneeling are actually biting the many hands that feed them?
If so then I agree because their protest does seem to be an attack on America, our anthem, military police and the white people that are big fans of the NFL but I was trying to make another point.

On the sports radio I was listening to a former Patriots player said that one of the problems facing many young black men today is that when they are arrested for, his example, stealing $150 worth of clothes they can spend months in jail waiting for their court date because no one can afford to bail them out.
This is one of the problems in our justice system that really unfairly targets young black men and this is just one example of what the NFL kneelers are protesting.

The fix according to this ex player would be to stop the courts from demanding a cash bail and instead I guess take other things as the bond but what that would be was not discussed.

I don't know if this is just me daring to think like this but if the young black man didn't steal in the first place he wouldn't have been arrested and he wouldn't have to have someone bail him out.

Things are getting weird in America and it seems the solutions to problems both real and perceived is a fine example of putting the cart before the horse meaning they are backwards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies