Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should football players and university professors be easy to fire for their views?
Football players and university professors can be fired for their views. 142 43.03%
Neither can be fired for their views 188 56.97%
Voters: 330. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2017, 08:24 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,191,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hound 109 View Post
Then don't watch the anthem. No one has ever forced you to.
Why? I don't have a problem with the anthem. (neither do the protesters) They have a problem with actions undertaken under the banner the anthem represents.

Old 11-01-2017, 08:57 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,330,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Why? I don't have a problem with the anthem. (neither do the protesters) They have a problem with actions undertaken under the banner the anthem represents.
Then they can take their problems to the voting booth. That's what democracy is all about -- not who can make the most asinine public display.

Kneeling when our national anthem is played? Disgraceful.

Intelligent people don't pay good money to watch grownups act like children. And more and more of us are coming to that realization.

Here's hoping the NFL players are unemployed soon, consumed by their brutality and absurd pretensions of political grandeur. Not content with routinely inflicting brain damage in their "sport", they assume the right to lecture the rest of society on what constitutes equality and justice.

Perhaps their inability to think straight has given these thugs such an inflated sense of their own importance. It's past time they are disabused of it.

Old 11-01-2017, 09:09 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,191,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Then they can take their problems to the voting booth. That's what democracy is all about -- not who can make the most asinine public display.
How many votes do you suspect it would have taken Rosa Parks to be able to sit where she wanted? Our rights are not based upon the whims of the people.

Old 11-01-2017, 09:10 AM

10,098 posts, read 4,087,720 times
Quote:

Kneeling when our national anthem is played? Disgraceful.

Intelligent people don't pay good money to watch grownups act like children. And more and more of us are coming to that realization.

Here's hoping the NFL players are unemployed soon, consumed by their brutality and absurd pretensions of political grandeur. Not content with routinely inflicting brain damage in their "sport", they assume the right to lecture the rest of society on what constitutes equality and justice.

Perhaps their inability to think straight has given these thugs such an inflated sense of their own importance. It's past time they are disabused of it.
They're going to get HAMMERED the next CBA - whenever that is. They are eating their own in this whole process/charade.

I honestly don't care if/when they get hammered by the owners - they brought it on themselves. Well most of them did, not all of them.

I fully believe NFL/football hit its ceiling probably within the last decade, and with all the brain damage issues, class action lawsuits, and now this whole Kaepernick display, it's really only going to go down hill.

I grew up in the Mecca of American hockey, so hockey has always been my first love, so If I want/need entertainment, hockey is always there for me anyways. And they don't act like ignorant morons.

Old 11-01-2017, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
How many votes do you suspect it would have taken Rosa Parks to be able to sit where she wanted? Our rights are not based upon the whims of the people.
Your NFL clownshow has followed Colin Kaepernick, and Kaepernick admires Che Guevara, the man who hated blacks:

Quote:
“The black is indolent and a dreamer; spending his meager wage on frivolity or drink; the European has a tradition of work and saving, which has pursued him as far as this corner of America and drives him to advance himself, even independently of his own individual aspirations.” Che Guevara

Keep up. Your "credibility" - small as it were, is basically non-existent at this point.

Old 11-01-2017, 10:17 AM

29,548 posts, read 9,716,744 times
Quote:
My argument -- that they are ignorant, both of the opportunities they have received and the good fortune that they have to have born in this country, for which they have sacrificed NOTHING -- has gone right over your head. No one denies the players their right to act like god-damned fools. But no one better deny MY right to call them out for saying that they are thugs and hypocrites who contribute NOTHING to our country beyond the questionable vicarious thrill of watching these clods try to bash each other's heads in. They're good at that. But they have zero credibility in the field of social justice or what constitutes one's value to society. To claim otherwise is asinine.
What is going over anyone's head is a matter of perspective I think, but I have no trouble understanding your argument. I just don't agree with your argument, and I stand by every word written in my prior comment. Seems hardly a word of which you understand. I doubt you ever will...

Also confusing is all this about denying YOUR right to express your opinion. Where does that come from I wonder. I mean my whole argument is about the freedom for EVERYONE to express their opinion, rich or poor, soldier or civilian. Hello? Again review my last comment about all that.

That you want to falsely accuse or insult someone like Kaepernick by calling him a "thug" or a "hypocrite" hardly deserves the attention I would give a child throwing a tantrum. Your opinion about their sport is obviously "tilted" as well.

Regardless the tilt, what you and every other American needs to understand is that our right to express opinion does not depend on any sort of qualification other than to be an American citizen. Doesn't matter whether we are soldier or citizen, white, black or orange. Football player or water boy...

We can all disagree as we will of course, about all manner of things, but to disrespect sincere dissent and/or protest over a serious issue like the one Kaepernick felt compelled to bring attention to, with unjustified insults no less, is what I would call asinine with a capital A!

You want to talk "value to society?"

Not sure who you think you are, but you are demonstrating no "value to society" with your notions about who is deserving and who is not...

Old 11-01-2017, 10:28 AM

29,548 posts, read 9,716,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Did he also serve to protect the rights of the KKK to have a rally?

If so, does he approve of the KKK's message?

BTW, who here wants to outlaw the NFL players protesting?
Yes, of course!

Even hate speech is protected by our right to free speech. What is so hard to understand about the fact that we are free to express our opinion, regardless how we may feel about the opinion, who is expressing it, where or when? What is so hard to understand the importance of that freedom? With no strings attached! "No ifs, ands or buts."

This is ultimately the important point when it comes to all who might condemn someone for taking a knee or to the streets to protest or dissent an issue that is important to them, perhaps not important enough to others, so how to get their attention? Obviously, for people with fame and fortune, on national TV, their options are different from the average Joe on the street who decides to use a piece of cardboard on the street corner to express his opinion. Moderator cut: profanity Free country...

I mean given all the serious protests and even arrests over matters of social unrest in our past, you would think from reading some of the comments in this thread that Kaepernick was some sort of criminal worthy of the FBI's most wanted list.

Heaven forbid anyone's entertainment be distracted in any way, even before the kick-off (that no one really pays any attention to anyway). Oh my, this is indeed a crime deserving of our new president's attention and tweets calling for the worst punishment possible!

For the love of tolerance, how about some mercy...

Last edited by Ibginnie; 11-01-2017 at 12:43 PM..

Old 11-01-2017, 11:40 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,611,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Yes, of course!

Even hate speech is protected by our right to free speech. What is so hard to understand about the fact that we are free to express our opinion, regardless how we may feel about the opinion, who is expressing it, where or when? What is so hard to understand the importance of that freedom? With no strings attached! "No ifs, ands or buts."

This is ultimately the important point when it comes to all who might condemn someone for taking a knee or to the streets to protest or dissent an issue that is important to them, perhaps not important enough to others, so how to get their attention? Obviously, for people with fame and fortune, on national TV, their options are different from the average Joe on the street who decides to use a piece of cardboard on the street corner to express his opinion. (Reminds me of the local street person here who rides his bike with a sign on the back that says "F**k Trump!" Used to say "F**k the Dodgers!"). Free country...

I mean given all the serious protests and even arrests over matters of social unrest in our past, you would think from reading some of the comments in this thread that Kaepernick was some sort of criminal worthy of the FBI's most wanted list.

Heaven forbid anyone's entertainment be distracted in any way, even before the kick-off (that no one really pays any attention to anyway). Oh my, this is indeed a crime deserving of our new president's attention and tweets calling for the worst punishment possible!

For the love of tolerance, how about some mercy...
So, just because members of the military fight for that freedom doesn't mean they approve of the message from that speech.

It still comes down to the lie that America is a racist country. America is NOT racist.

Old 11-01-2017, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kool Keeth View Post
Your NFL clownshow has followed Colin Kaepernick, and Kaepernick admires Che Guevara, the man who hated blacks:

Quote:
“The black is indolent and a dreamer; spending his meager wage on frivolity or drink; the European has a tradition of work and saving, which has pursued him as far as this corner of America and drives him to advance himself, even independently of his own individual aspirations.” Che Guevara

Keep up. Your "credibility" - small as it were, is basically non-existent at this point.
No one here from the apologist side wants to admit their poster boy admires someone who HATES BLACKS.

No one.

Your boy is a FAKE, straight up yo - an utter and complete WALKING CONTRADICTION.

Your petulance/"movement" is FAKE.

Old 11-01-2017, 11:51 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,611,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kool Keeth View Post
No one here from the apologist side wants to admit their poster boy admires someone who HATES BLACKS.

No one.

Your boy is a FAKE, straight up yo - an utter and complete WALKING CONTRADICTION.

Your petulance/"movement" is FAKE.
Che and Castro also relied on a police state to unjustly persecute citizens.

Kaepernick doesn't realize how ignorant he is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies