Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2017, 01:19 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,191,156 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
Which also has a position paper about the complete lack of science behind the assumption of the therapeutic community of the innateness of gender dysphoria. (Ask me how I know.) They liken gender reassignment activities as therapy for gender dysphoria to giving an anorexic liposuction to an anorexic to make them feel better and assert what little research has been done demonstrates that most of these cases resolve themselves between 18 and 20. Now they do not assert that there is no possibility that gender reassignment activities can lead to good outcomes, just that there is an appalling lack of studies to support such radical, life changing activities in children.

Raging liberal here. I claim to think science leads to understanding and understanding leads to good decisions. I stand by that assertion.
If you are saying the AAP has a paper saying that treatment for gender dysphoria is like liposuction for anorexics, you are confusing the AAP (60k member well respected physician group) with the ACP (600 member fringe group promoting right wing ideology).

This is NOT from the AAP

Gender Dysphoria in Children | American College of Pediatricians
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2017, 01:20 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,181,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
If you are saying the AAP has a paper saying that treatment for gender dysphoria is like liposuction for anorexics, you are confusing the AAP (60k member well respected physician group) with the ACP (600 member fringe group promoting right wing ideology).

This is NOT from the AAP

I did not find the link on the AAP site myself. My husband did. Let me see if I can find it.

Old 08-10-2017, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diogenese77 View Post
So would you be one of those parents who not only seeks to do what's best for their child but also demands that everyone your child comes into contact with conform to this new notion of understanding gender for your child's sake and if they don't are you going to get belligerent and ridicule them as hateful, transphobic and intolerant?
I am not sure why you would think that. In fact, I have taught him quite the opposite of how to deal with haters of all types. Why someone else' choices would affect anyone else in the slightest is beyond me. But whatever anyone choose to disagree with is no reason to be hateful oneself.

Quote:
Are you going to demand that public schools start teaching gender identity as part of the curriculum, other parents wishes be damned?
I don't think you are reading what I am writing. So I think I will pass on further replies to you. Cheers.

Old 08-10-2017, 01:33 PM

Ho ho ho. More research required. His link did NOT come from the AAP at all. Thanks folks. Off to google like a fiend.

Old 08-10-2017, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post

This is NOT from the AAP

Alas, you are dead right. I appreciate your information.

Old 08-10-2017, 01:48 PM

20,758 posts, read 8,562,401 times
Because true transgender is extremely rare, I suspect most of these kids are gay so it would be dangerous to give them puberty suppressing hormones. Sounds like Dr. Mengele territory. Some girls are just tomboys and once puberty hits they will get 'girly.' I was one of them.

Old 08-10-2017, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diogenese77 View Post
you keep saying 60,000 members as if they contacted every one of them and asked for their position on the issue.

They didn't.
My guess is that they understand and approve of the scientific model used to come up with positions. My guess is not every one of the 6k pediatricians have time to study each issue themselves.

Old 08-10-2017, 02:02 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,875,030 times
What does a child know at 5 years of age? 10? Even 11 or 13? What they want right now. No thought of consequences. No thought of the future.
I support the Transgender community. One of my best friends is Transgender. I think it insane to ask a 5 year old what gender they think they are then roll with it. My 5 year old went from wanting to be Mr. Conductor to being a farmer in a week.
All we can do is be supportive. If my son came to me at 16 and said "Dad I'm gay." I would have hugged him and said "ok, you are still my child." If he came to me said he was transgender I would have hugged him and said "Ok let's slow down, we have time. Let's make sure before we start doing things that can hurt you."

Last edited by boneyard1962; 08-10-2017 at 02:25 PM..

Old 08-10-2017, 04:18 PM

6,855 posts, read 2,843,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
What does a child know at 5 years of age? 10? Even 11 or 13? What they want right now. No thought of consequences. No thought of the future.
I support the Transgender community. One of my best friends is Transgender. I think it insane to ask a 5 year old what gender they think they are then roll with it. My 5 year old went from wanting to be Mr. Conductor to being a farmer in a week.
All we can do is be supportive. If my son came to me at 16 and said "Dad I'm gay." I would have hugged him and said "ok, you are still my child." If he came to me said he was transgender I would have hugged him and said "Ok let's slow down, we have time. Let's make sure before we start doing things that can hurt you."
There already is a process in place that is in place specifically to slow down and closely examine the issue. There is an intense period of therapy that is at minimum a year. This isn't something we just dive into. It's not like we wake up one morning and say "hey! I think I want to be part of a group that's openly despised by a lot of people, some of them dangerous!" This isn't happy dress up play time. It's not something done on a whim. It's hellish in a way I can't even fully describe to you. But some of us have no choice. It's either transition, or suicide. There are no other options.

ETA: I didn't mean to be so harsh boneyard.

Last edited by geekigurl; 08-10-2017 at 04:32 PM..

Old 08-10-2017, 07:42 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,596,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesg View Post
There goes the "its scientific" argument for liberals out the window.

President of the American College of Pediatricians is concerned transgender ideology Transition-Affirming Protocol Is Child Abuse.

The crux of the matter is that while the transition-affirming movement purports to help children, it is inflicting a grave injustice on them and their nondysphoric peers.

These professionals are using the myth that people are born transgender to justify engaging in massive, uncontrolled, and unconsented experimentation on children who have a psychological condition that would otherwise resolve after puberty in the vast majority of cases.

Today’s institutions that promote transition affirmation are pushing children to impersonate the opposite sex, sending many of them down the path of puberty blockers, sterilization, the removal of healthy body parts, and untold psychological damage.

I

I

Mentally disabling your kid on purpose??? That is F'd up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies