Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2017, 01:06 PM

34,117 posts, read 18,361,242 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
The economy improving is true but it isn't at the same time. Wages aren't keeping up with the cost of living in many areas. Hence the minimum wage increases.
Labor is a commodity. Sad, but true. When the economy improves, companies grow, expand, start up, etc and the demand for labor increase. That is when wage increases will be seen, when the market dictates. To artificially raise wage rates by government mandate is destructive to the overall economy, and will result in less available jobs. It's just a fact of business, and economics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2017, 01:11 PM

4,481 posts, read 2,262,884 times
OP has zero idea how gas prices work.

Old 07-29-2017, 01:15 PM

77,772 posts, read 104,151,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
And this will hurt his toothless, mindless supporters the most.

The "coastal elites" ride in subways and the like. I live in NYC and don't even own a car. But Joe Sixpack in Ohio with his pickup, limited income and 50 mile commute will be harmed the most.
Maybe it will hurt Joe Sixpack cause he takes his beer home at night, has a few and then spends time with his family instead of hanging out at bars that stay open 24/7 like those in the big cities. Which would you rather be part of?

sorry couldn't resist, think about how arrogant some statements sound and BTW there are probably a heck of a lot of people living in Ohio that could buy and sell a lot of those living in NYC or other Atlantic seaboard cities. There are rich and poor people everywhere.

Let me also add, being rich or poor, toothless or full mouth of dentures doesn't make you a good or bad person. What is in your heart controls that.

Last edited by nmnita; 07-29-2017 at 01:43 PM..

Old 07-29-2017, 01:18 PM

41,815 posts, read 50,792,097 times
Quote:
And this will hurt his toothless, mindless supporters the most.

The "coastal elites" ride in subways and the like. I live in NYC and don't even own a car. But Joe Sixpack in Ohio with his pickup, limited income and 50 mile commute will be harmed the most.
OPEC has kept supplies high depressing the price of oil in the hopes of damaging US companies producing oil. That strategy has failed and OPEC is cutting back production. Prices will come up and assuming US production can keep pace they will stabilize.

The "toothless, mindless supporter"as you put it will be commuting to his/her $100K a year job in the oil fields as the oil and gas companies hire to meet the increased demand for their product.

FYI it's comments and an attitude like yours that has helped put Trump in the White House, keep up the good work.

Old 07-29-2017, 01:22 PM

Quote:
It's "disgusting and disturbed" to point out that Trump cultists are the ones most being harmed by his nightmare administration? I guess the truth hurts.
Would love to know how we are being hurt? It already been pointed out, gas prices are lower than they were many time when Obama was president and been pointed out summer months usually bring higher rates, not to mention the president has no control over the price of oil. Add to that, how about the cost of public transportation, has it gone up recently or in the past 10 years? Of course it has, you pay for the gas one way or the other.

Old 07-29-2017, 01:22 PM

41,815 posts, read 50,792,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
When the economy improves there is more demand for energy, and gasoline, and other energy sources increase in price. That is where more supply must come in to keep an equilibrium of reasonable energy costs.
True but we are in a whole other world than we were 10 years ago, we are no longer under the thumb of OPEC. Domestic suppliers can meet that demand.

Trump has a very aggressive domestic energy policy. Domestic capacity is only going to increase with time. Most people missed the energy speech he gave because most media outlets were to busy discussing the morning Joe tweet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWM4Ksit7SU

Old 07-29-2017, 01:29 PM

5,129 posts, read 2,576,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max210 View Post
OP has zero idea how gas prices work.

sounds accurate.

Old 07-29-2017, 01:29 PM

30,421 posts, read 20,194,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Trump supporters are the first to rave about how Donald Trump is causing positive things to happen, like a rising stock market, so how about them accepting responsibility when things go south ?

Under Obama, we were seeing record low gas prices, and they stayed down. In the past month or so, our gas prices locally went from $1.99, and overnight it jumped to $2.15. It slowly started to come back down, but they skyrocketed back up to $2.29, where it is staying right now.

What is up with that ? I thought Trump was going to make things better for us, or was he just interested in making his oil buddies more money ?
Oh, you poor thing. $2.15!

I don't know where you live, but gas prices here have gone down since Trump took office. Right now sitting at $2.159, but it has fluctuated from there to as low as $2.059.

Actually gas prices are lower due to fracking and increased drilling and exploration, and it's only going to get better under Trump. With Obama, we saw record high prices not that long ago.

Old 07-29-2017, 01:32 PM

30,421 posts, read 20,194,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Not here, it is up 30 cents a gallon and took that jump 15 cents at a pop.
You said it went from $1.99 to $2.15. Where do you now come up with 30 cents?

Old 07-29-2017, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
Because it's true.Ok for trump to talk like that but not us here at C+D who oppose trump right?
Well I am not sure I have ever heard him refer to someone in a particular region as being toothless and living in poverty. And no it is not alright for people to post such garbage. I love CD, I respect most posters regardless whether I agree with them or not, but there are times when a poster goes over the top. I am a little surprised her post is still there. There is a difference between opposing Trump and insulting groups people wouldn't you agree?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies