Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2017, 11:05 AM

8,518 posts, read 3,736,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPLimey View Post
I will never understand why Second Amendment small-government freedom-touting conservatives are so keen to empower government officials while removing accountability
Because they are still pissed off that the "freedoms" of America somehow apply to Brown people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2017, 11:32 AM

77,013 posts, read 47,481,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treasurefinder View Post
It's worse that they clapped. Yet folks wonder why we don't trust cops.
I was surprised to see them clap. I thought the police would know better since they have been trained to treat people innocent until proven guilty.

Old 07-29-2017, 11:37 AM

13,389 posts, read 6,410,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I was surprised to see them clap. I thought the police would know better since they have been trained to treat people innocent until proven guilty.
They clapped because unlike many who are hysterically overreacting, they understood it was hyperbole indicating the President's support for LEO. Something that was sorely lacking from the previous administration.

Old 07-29-2017, 02:25 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,113,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
They clapped because unlike many who are hysterically overreacting, they understood it was hyperbole indicating the President's support for LEO. Something that was sorely lacking from the previous administration.
There is absolutely no indication that Obama didn't support LEO.

He simply did not find police brutality acceptable, as nobody should in a civilized first world country.

Old 07-29-2017, 02:44 PM

78,013 posts, read 60,221,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I don't know anything about Rahm Emanuel. Nothing. All i know is that he was a congressman and Obama's Chief of Staff.

Back to the topic: how do we know that the worst police abuses are in Democratic Urban bastions? What proof exists of that?
Because they have the strongest unions and protection and have political cover as well.

This look like Boise, ID to you?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Police...990456536).jpg

If you get bored with that, let's talk about Rodney King, Laquan McDonald....wait....tell you what, let's discuss Laquan McDonald as case in point.

Here is the link: Let's watch it all unfold and take into consideration a comparison to Ferguson, MO.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shooti..._police_report

Old 07-29-2017, 05:55 PM

56,989 posts, read 35,116,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Because they have the strongest unions and protection and have political cover as well.

This look like Boise, ID to you?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Police...990456536).jpg

If you get bored with that, let's talk about Rodney King, Laquan McDonald....wait....tell you what, let's discuss Laquan McDonald as case in point.

Here is the link: Let's watch it all unfold and take into consideration a comparison to Ferguson, MO.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shooti..._police_report
But police abuse is reported in big cites, and that's ONLY been a recent phenomenon.

What are cops doing in rural areas and small cities where they aren't nearly as visible? Am I supposed to believe that they're no worse than their big city counterparts? Because I don't. In fact, I trust them even less.

Old 07-29-2017, 07:56 PM

13,507 posts, read 16,996,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
We've discovered on Long island, that cops are cops. Whether you pay them 50K a year or 175K (what beat cops in suffolk make with overtime) you get the same guys. You may get a few people who would have gone into other professions but couldn't pass up the golden goose of a 20 year retirement, $0 medical, $0 contributory pension, and a 180 day work year. For the most part, however, you're getting former NYPD or people with connections in the SCPD who want the big payday and much less dangerous patrols. My experience with cops..and I know quite a few..is this: you have some good guys and girls, and you have some guys with issues..guys who were bullied as kids and have a chip on their shoulders. Then you have those who were always bullies and have found a profession that tolerates bullies. These guys are the most dangerous, and some of them are truly emboldened by this position of power. These guys turn the police into a de facto gang supported by the government. The FORMER COMMISSIONER of the Suffolk County PD was one of these guys. He got that far through the ranks despite being evil and possibly a psychopath. This is the department the people behind Trump belong to. The blue wall of silence allows bad people to carry out bad deeds because it's better to let bad people do bad things than "rat on your own."

This mentality is rampant in NY police forces, and Suffolk is no different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies