Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2017, 09:20 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,815,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
My employer provided a cadillac policy that covered everything at no cost to me, after the unaffordable care act started taxing these plans, they made it much worse. My daughter's plan cost doubled and her deductible quintupled so the result is that she had good health coverage before the unaffordable I don't care act and now she doesn't access health care because of the deductible. My son, like me, had a cadillac policy that he didn't pay for but his employer did away with it to avoid the tax penalty of providing excellent coverage.

For every person that benefitted from the unaffordable care act, 3 were worse off...which caused the Repubs to take control of all branches of the government.
And your Republicans did not help you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2017, 09:22 AM

51,653 posts, read 25,819,464 times
Meanwhile, 48 Republicans have branded themselves as corporate weasels. Hard to imagine any competent public servant voting for a bill of this magnitude without even reading it or having any idea what the costs would be. I suspect video clips of this vote will be used in campaign ads across the nation.

Since Republicans who voted for this bill obviously believe that health insurance is not all that important to people, I'm in favor of terminating their federal health insurance immediately and encouraging them to purchase insurance on the open market.

Old 07-30-2017, 01:32 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Obama was a great DEMOCRATIC leader, but he didn't win over many Republicans. He also didn't win over Americans who did not vote for him.
He won over who he needed to win over. Everyone else we're gonna dislike him no matter what.

Old 07-30-2017, 07:14 PM

30,370 posts, read 19,162,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
I guess the House, Senate, President, Supreme Court, state legislatures and state Governors are controlled by Republicans and voted in by you, who want them to repeal ObamaCare, screwed you.
I never vote for someone because I think I will personally benefit, rather I vote what's best for the country. I'm extremely happy with our current governance.

Old 07-31-2017, 04:08 AM

2,544 posts, read 2,737,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
The Republicans had 7 years to come up with a repeal/replace plan. Trump said he would do this on "Day 1". Trump failed and the Republicans in congress failed. This IS Crystal Clear.
This is not what he said. Check your facts. More fake statements!!

Yes true the Republicans did have a lot of time to come up with a new healthcare plan.

Old 07-31-2017, 09:33 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,823,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Obama was quiet, cool, sagacious, cunning, and was loathe to lay his cards on the table unless he knew the outcome of the game. He also wasn't afraid of losing and relished the battles.

That was his secret, and the reason why he nearly always defeated the Republicans even when his party was in the minority. Republicans spent the whole 8 years underestimating him because in their minds, his inexperience and background as a "community organizer" rendered him bereft of political skill. He kept proving them wrong time and time again.

There's a reason why Senate Democrats basically cornered him after only a few years in the Senate and basically forced him to run with the promise that he'd have their full backing. That also doesn't speak all that well for Hillary Clinton since that was definitely her election to lose had she come out of the primary. I've explained this time and time again to Obama's detractors, but they refuse to listen. They think he won based on pure luck.

Obama was a very, very skilled politician. That's not to say that he had great policies, but he knew what he was doing.
ITA with the bold. I honestly miss his calmness and his genius as a politician the most.

He was always a step ahead of his opposition and he exuded (to the majority of Americans who weren't gung ho against him) a care and concern over the entire populace. He never denigrated any segment of the population and remained neutral (unlike Hillary and her "deplorable" comment). I don't like to say it but he actually was magical to watch as a politician. I've known a lot of politicians and still do and watching him was like watching the ultimate professional. He also had a great, appealing personality, not even a hint of the creepies like Bill Clinton, who also was a political genius IMO. I do think the right underestimated him, as did the Clintons themselves. He was a thinker and a doer and that was what many Americans, including myself liked the most about him - that and he just was a decent guy and a family man. Trump is obscene compared to him. I wish Obama could have run again, he would have crushed Trump.

Quote:
Obama was a great DEMOCRATIC leader, but he didn't win over many Republicans. He also didn't win over Americans who did not vote for him.
On the bold, unlike Trump, the majority of Americans did vote for Obama both times he ran for president. Also, Obama had a lot of independent support and even regular Republicans liked him personally but not politically. I know a lot of Republicans who would rather have him back as president, due to him exuding leadership skills and intelligence and decency in his communication patterns instead of Trump who they see as a buffoon. I think the traditional conservatives, who many of you ultra righties call "RINOs," liked Obama as a person more than they like Trump even though they didn't agree with a lot of Obama's policy initiatives/successes. Trump is not winning over any Democrats and is losing a lot of independent support.

I'm an independent and honestly, my liberal friends kind of get peeved at me when I tell them, I don't want Trump impeached or removed from office any time soon. I'd rather wait until 2020 because I don't like extreme ideologies and I feel both Pence and Ryan are extreme. Trump is just a buffoon and he's not going to get much of anything done. I also liked his last SCOTUS pick and would rather him pick judges than Pence. But I would never vote for Trump. He is a liar, a criminal (in regards to finances and not paying people as a part of his businesses and probably tax issues as well if he ever releases them), and in general just seems like a horrible, unlikable person. However, I can look over all that and focus on the fact that he's not a leader. He won't get much, if any of his "agenda" done. Pence would get it done. I'd rather Trump stay around and be voted out versus having people on his team, who are extreme, being able to take charge if he left office. He will never win me over though because he lacks in leadership skills, professionalism, and he is a buffoon.

Old 07-31-2017, 12:19 PM

7,185 posts, read 3,700,375 times
Quote:
And, trump will never win over any Americans who did not vote for him, either. He may even alienate some of the more thoughtful people who voted for him, as he fails and flails, fails and flails, fails and flails. Not that I want him removed - since the idea of pence as prez is just too creepy for words, but, as long as we don't end up in a nuclear war, and he doesn't get a lot of his "agenda" put in place, and the repubs keep flailing around and accomplishing nothing... well, I feel like his presidency will accomplish something in that it may be the thing that breaks up the repub party into at least 2 pieces, and maybe actually accomplishes something about the gridlock in DC. Just ope that is doesn't take the whole country down while it happens.

Old 07-31-2017, 11:32 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,734,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Republicans voted probably 50 times to repeal obamacare. This was their chance and they blew it every time. So yeah it's on republicans now.
Bottom line, Democrats created this mess and now Republicans have to waste time to do something about it. Anyone not getting a handout or who wasn't blinded by their worship of Obama knew it was bad from the start but now it's they'd have to take candy away from the children. What a fricken mess Dems made, if only they used common sense they would have known it wouldn't work.

KABOOOM!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies