Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2017, 08:06 PM

3,615 posts, read 2,330,890 times

Advertisements

Great movie . Just saw this movie this week and read great story on it. . So many civilians around some 700 civilian craft were recruited to get the men off the beaches with many civilians at the helm . Sort of hard to relate to bombs falling down on Clearwater beach .

The USA Today reviewer complained lack of minorities and women and transgender. USA Today’s reviewer Brian Truit observied that “the fact that there are only a couple of women and no lead actors of color may rub some the wrong way" and no transgender either! .Even though Britain was almost 99% white in that era .

Sad so many vets feel their fight might not having been worth it as Britain was invaded anyway and changed forever.

"In 2009, Nicholas Pringle published The Unknown Warriors, a book of interviews with 150 of what in America is called the “Greatest Generation”—those who fought and lived through World War II:

Sarah Robinson was just a teenager when World War II broke out.

She endured the Blitz, watching for fires during Luftwaffe air raids armed with a bucket of sand.

Often she would walk ten miles home from work in the blackout, with bombs falling around her.

As soon as she turned 18, she joined the Royal Navy to do her bit for the war effort.

Hers was a small part in a huge, history-making enterprise, and her contribution epitomises her generation’s sense of service and sacrifice.

Nearly 400,000 Britons died. Millions more were scarred by the experience, physically and mentally.

But was it worth it? Her answer—and the answer of many of her contemporaries, now in their 80s and 90s—is a resounding No.

Immigration tops the list of complaints…Many writers are bewildered and overwhelmed by a multicultural Britain that, they say bitterly, they were never consulted about nor feel comfortable with.

`This isn`t the Britain we fought for,` say the `unknown warriors` of WWII, by Tony Rennell, London Daily Mail, November 21, 2009. "

my grandparents felt the same way after what has happened in America since the 1960's, we went from the "greatest generation " who won WW2 to the baby boomers and the flower children and open borders and the "great society"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-eMt3SrfFU&app=desktop

Old 07-28-2017, 08:16 PM

This was the trailer I meant to post I am looking for one scene that is phenomenal. Beautiful
film

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7O7BtBnsG4&app=desktop

Old 07-28-2017, 08:18 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,759,397 times
A great education for Americans and younger Brits in what it means to be a nation.

Old 07-28-2017, 08:26 PM

3,304 posts, read 2,172,697 times
Dunkirk shows Britain in a way it will never be again. Now they have mass rape and terrorism. What did they even fight for?

Old 07-28-2017, 08:44 PM

That's what the whole Nicholas Pringle book was about , a book of interviews with vets . A lot of them were really bitter , they fought back to stop an invasion and the government just let them be invaded . Same thing with my grandfather , he was really bitter about how full of crime and decay had taken over the city where he grew up in.

Many Asia nations were very smart to keep down immigration and refugees. If somebody landed in many places it would be hard to se who really won the war . Hiroshima and Nagasaki are modern cities. Detroit and so many American cities are in ruin

Old 07-28-2017, 08:52 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,521,305 times
What's controversial about the film? I've seen it and must have missed that part.

Old 07-28-2017, 08:55 PM

4,750 posts, read 3,567,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
What's controversial about the film? I've seen it and must have missed that part.
The French aren't completely happy about it.

Old 07-28-2017, 08:56 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,521,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristramShandy View Post
The French aren't completely happy about it.
Yea, they didn't look too good in it, that's for sure.

Old 07-28-2017, 09:16 PM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times
I think most British people (the older ones anyway) will tell you that the massive amount of immigration has ruined the country. The people did not ask for this. It was the government's way of accounting for past guilt by oppression of the countries of their former empire. For that reason, they allowed an unlimited number of immigrants from Indian, Pakistan, and Bangladesh. It was okay at first but after a while the non English speaking immigrants seemed to outnumber the native British and they actually did and still do outnumber the native British in many areas in the north of England. The non British were given free housing, free furniture, free everything, and this bred resentment, of course.

The result has been severe strife and resentment. Finally the door was closed to these immigrants but it was decades too late. To make matters worse, belonging to the EU, they were required to take in refugees and let people from the EU come to live and work in Britain.

A little bit of immigration would have been fine but it was allowed to go too far. Then the EU only added to it and the result, mostly a reaction to unbridled immigration, has been BREXIT, which has put the future of Britain at risk.

And so it is sad that people fought for their country and this is the reward they get.

As for the USA, I don't know what flower children or the great society have to do with anything. Flower children were the young people in the late '60s who believed in love and peace. That's only natural for a generation that grew up hearing about war from their parents. And there's nothing wrong with love an peace. The great society was meant to make this a better country and give everyone a chance. The one thing I can agree with in the OP is that open borders are not a good thing. It didn't work in Britain and many of us have seen what it's doing here. How can you have a country if it doesn't even have borders.

What is happening to this country now, with this administration is an insult to anyone who has served in our military. To end up with a government that resembles what our soldiers fought for is like a smack in the face. My former husband is a Viet Nam veteran with PTSD. The VA told me I had to get a divorce because he is dangerous. War did that to him. That's the sacrifice he made and now he is telling me that this government wants to take away a good part of his disability pension. So things like this certainly do make us stop and wonder why this country fought wars and why anyone sacrificed.

Old 07-28-2017, 09:41 PM

5,341 posts, read 4,429,096 times
This thread is better suited for the Movie Forum.

I have contacted the moderator for that forum and she will look it over to see if it's a good fit. Until then, it will remain closed.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do NOT reply to moderator posts that are in RED.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies