Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2017, 12:57 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,809,897 times

Advertisements

I've been out of college for over 6 years with no job and to top it all off we now have an ableist in the White House who would only make it more difficult for me to get a job. I have a new saying that long term unemployment is a prison that you can't get out of and Trump is likely to not let me out on parole.

Tell me what am I supposed to cheer up about? I have some things in my life that I have enjoyed but it's really hard to enjoy anything lately when I have no real purpose in life and making good money would provide me with purpose. Not only that I am a burden if I am financially dependent. I am trying to get on disability but I'd much rather just have a job. I want help to help myself. Oh yeah wow I make pocket change online..whoopdedo and even better those sites have gotten even worse lately.

Okay so seeing Trump cringe and fuss along with the jokes comedians make is hilarious and that makes my day a bit but I'm more interested in having a future. I'm only making good with what we have but I still want better after all the people who have stepped on me. Don't I deserve better? Don't we deserve better for those of us who have fought so hard for a better life? I finally get out of a bad situation and it happens to be when a clown is the leader of our country who picked people to either baby him or who lacks a spine. I miss when the White House was boring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2017, 08:42 PM

30,362 posts, read 19,149,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickchick View Post
I've been out of college for over 6 years with no job and to top it all off we now have an ableist in the White House who would only make it more difficult for me to get a job. I have a new saying that long term unemployment is a prison that you can't get out of and Trump is likely to not let me out on parole.

Tell me what am I supposed to cheer up about? I have some things in my life that I have enjoyed but it's really hard to enjoy anything lately when I have no real purpose in life and making good money would provide me with purpose. Not only that I am a burden if I am financially dependent. I am trying to get on disability but I'd much rather just have a job. I want help to help myself. Oh yeah wow I make pocket change online..whoopdedo and even better those sites have gotten even worse lately.

Okay so seeing Trump cringe and fuss along with the jokes comedians make is hilarious and that makes my day a bit but I'm more interested in having a future. I'm only making good with what we have but I still want better after all the people who have stepped on me. Don't I deserve better? Don't we deserve better for those of us who have fought so hard for a better life? I finally get out of a bad situation and it happens to be when a clown is the leader of our country who picked people to either baby him or who lacks a spine. I miss when the White House was boring.
If you want a future, you better hope Trump and the Republicans are able to launch their jobs programs. By the way, I didn't have a job when i first graduated from college so I started my own business and worked my ass off rather than whining about not having a job.

Old 07-30-2017, 09:17 PM

7,184 posts, read 4,766,211 times
Quote:

Go into politics.

Old 07-30-2017, 09:35 PM

8,342 posts, read 6,426,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
A record number of Americans are "very happy" and I'm in that category....couldn't be happier with our government and President.
I have a good financial advisor. I have made $50,000 since the beginning of the year. I was a hourly employee all my life.

Old 07-30-2017, 11:27 PM

32,067 posts, read 15,055,077 times
Quote:
A record number of Americans are "very happy" and I'm in that category....couldn't be happier with our government and President.
What are you happy about with the administration. Trump has done nothing except cause chose. Although, I will give him credit for boasting SNL's ratings.

Old 07-31-2017, 09:20 AM

29,547 posts, read 9,713,411 times
Quote:

If you think your situation is a result of whomever is in office, you are probably not going to improve your situation as much as you will if you consider other ways to improve your situation.

The article I used to start this thread is more of a global perspective about how we as mankind have improved our situation collectively, but obviously this is very different from what any of us individuals may feel good about, or bad.

I used to counsel displaced professionals, and I provided them what I used to call a strategy to fight the "war on unemployment." You might get similar help at your local job center, and you might want to take advantage of that help before Trump and the GOP finds a way to defund that too.

Seems Trump and his supporters believe the top most wealthy income earners still don't have enough money flowing their way, still don't have enough wealth.

Old 08-12-2017, 01:54 PM

19,994 posts, read 13,470,976 times
Quote:
I didn't have a job when i first graduated from college so I started my own business and worked my ass off rather than whining about not having a job.
I have been able to earn a consistent income as an independent consultant in software development since my mid 20s -- a trajectory that, in the past decade, has been consistently six figures. And I did it WITHOUT a college degree. Bonus: I actually enjoyed the work, and continue to. 35 years and counting.

However ... while I definitely played a role, a lot of it is dumb luck. I'm a WASP male from a stable middle class family (back when there were a lot of those) who entered my chosen market at just the right moment when there was a lot of low-hanging fruit, and few barriers to entry. I lucked out in getting a book offer in the early 90's and a lot of opportunities flowed from that.

Not everyone has those advantages or that good luck. It's always flattering to regard yourself as a fount of brilliance and grit as if that's ALL that's involved in success in business. The simple reality is that there are TONS of people who are willing hard workers who will NEVER have those opportunities because there are structural and practical barriers before them.

It's easy to sit here and say, "bunch of losers, why don't they buck up and innovate like me" but that is not a very humble set of assumptions to operate from.

Old 08-13-2017, 09:48 AM

29,547 posts, read 9,713,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
I have been able to earn a consistent income as an independent consultant in software development since my mid 20s -- a trajectory that, in the past decade, has been consistently six figures. And I did it WITHOUT a college degree. Bonus: I actually enjoyed the work, and continue to. 35 years and counting.

However ... while I definitely played a role, a lot of it is dumb luck. I'm a WASP male from a stable middle class family (back when there were a lot of those) who entered my chosen market at just the right moment when there was a lot of low-hanging fruit, and few barriers to entry. I lucked out in getting a book offer in the early 90's and a lot of opportunities flowed from that.

Not everyone has those advantages or that good luck. It's always flattering to regard yourself as a fount of brilliance and grit as if that's ALL that's involved in success in business. The simple reality is that there are TONS of people who are willing hard workers who will NEVER have those opportunities because there are structural and practical barriers before them.

It's easy to sit here and say, "bunch of losers, why don't they buck up and innovate like me" but that is not a very humble set of assumptions to operate from.
Not often I read such a good summation of what may be one of the biggest dividing lines between liberals and conservatives when it comes to this topic. A balanced and humble assessment with respect to how we have succeeded or one that always seems to demonstrate a fair level of ignorance related to these barriers you touch upon. Where and how we are privileged and lucky versus those who have no such good fortune...

Old 08-13-2017, 10:29 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,531,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post

We ARE making progress. Right?
We had been.

Until some clock stoppers grabbed the power ring.

Old 08-13-2017, 10:33 AM

4,996 posts, read 2,444,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
If you're troubled, well now you know how so many of us felt for the last 8 years. The only difference is, Trump is actually going to MAGA, and not tear it apart towards its destruction like that idiot from Chicago did.

As for "cheer up"...I've been cheery since November 8th, 2016 right around....11pm or so.

I enjoy watching the left lose it every time Trump says something, does something, breathes...it makes me very happy.

He has made a lot of progress, and I love how the left, especially the elitist snots in media, think he's stupid and inept but find out that he's always one step ahead of them. It drives them nuts...and that is enjoyable to watch.

Stocks are up, jobs have been rising, we're getting rid of that joke idiotcare, we are draining the swamp - it's clogged, it's going to take awhile but once we pour some Trump Draino down there, it will start to swirl rapidly, and I cannot wait for that to happen. The left may need medical attention during that time.

He's only been at this for 7 months. Just wait. We've got, at the very least, 3 1/2 years, but probably more because he's going to do what he said he was going to do. And now he's got a rabid fighting dog right next to him, Scaramucci....who, of course, the liberals loathe. Which means he is the right pick.

And then we have that case with DWS and her IT guy...if that blows...the entire DNC is going to blow.

There's so much to look forward to...every day is a great day now that Trump is in office.
Not quite Nostradamus, are you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies