Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2017, 03:56 PM

11,988 posts, read 5,292,205 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
I make my own biodiesel.

No sales tax where I live.

I pay very little property tax because it's listed as a ranch and I runabout 50 cows.

No fees on my internet as its exempt due to the rural area where I live. I am on a well. I hear my home by wood I cut myself. My power comes from wind and solar, tax credits.
The Ted Kaczynski model self-reliant man.

And you don't have to yell at kids to stay off your lawn, because no one lives close enough to bother you.

Sort of sounds like you were born 200 years too late, because you fit the 18th Century Jeffersonian model calling for a minimalist central government that provides for maybe a constable for law enforcement with little or nothing else. The Jeffersonians were the ones fighting against what they called "internal improvements" which was really anything more than the most rudimentary infrastructure. They famously opposed funding of the Erie Canal until New York finally paid for it all themselves, although it benefited the country as a whole by opening up the Northwest for settlement and development.

Last edited by Bureaucat; 07-29-2017 at 05:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2017, 03:57 PM

8,886 posts, read 5,368,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
The oath to uphold the laws means absolutely nothing to him.

Get rid of him!
I don't believe he is required to fund this.

ObamaCare's risk corridor corruption never ends | TheHill

Old 07-29-2017, 04:04 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,725,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtnluver8956 View Post
Your link says :

" President Trump on Saturday threatened to end key payments to insurance companies made under Obamacare if a repeal and replace bill is not passed.

The House is on recess and not due back until 9/5.

There's also the pesky matter of the debt ceiling. Mnuchin has repeatedly asked Congress to deal with it before their Summer recess.

Did not happen.

Old 07-29-2017, 04:07 PM

3,909 posts, read 2,121,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Your link says :

" President Trump on Saturday threatened to end key payments to insurance companies made under Obamacare if a repeal and replace bill is not passed.

The House is on recess and not due back until 9/5.

There's also the pesky matter of the debt ceiling. Mnuchin has repeatedly asked Congress to deal with it before their Summer recess.

Did not happen.
I think it's time to move to Taxes and the budget. This farce is wasting too much tax money and trump would rather be spending 20 million taxpayer money per trip again to Mar Lago.

Old 07-29-2017, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
EVERY other developed nation has single payer healthcare. HOW exactly are we unable to do so?

Quit whining with this sort of nonsense, it doesnt pass the sniff test.
^ Misinformation.

The rest of the developed world has Universal Healthcare and no two countries do it the same way. Some rely on a public Single Payer model. Some rely entirely on private insurance payer. Most are a mixed bag. Some require employers to pay for a part of it and some countries do not.

What they have in common is a mandate, no age or medical condition exclusion and subsidies for low/no income earners. How they subsidize is a variable.

Universal Healthcare is living legislation that is amended each year and periodically reformed.

Old 07-29-2017, 04:19 PM

3,909 posts, read 2,121,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
^ Misinformation.

The rest of the developed world has Universal Healthcare and no two countries do it the same way. Some rely on a public Single Payer model. Some rely entirely on private insurance payer. Most are a mixed bag. Some require employers to pay for a part of it and some countries do not.

What they have in common is a mandate, no age or medical condition exclusion and subsidies for low/no income earners. How they subsidize is a variable.

Universal Healthcare is living legislation that is amended each year and periodically reformed.
HMMMM. This was Pre-Obamacare numbers.

http://images.huffingtonpost.com/200...costs550_3.jpg

Old 07-29-2017, 04:21 PM

Not paying insurance companies has no impact on the majority of insured people because the majority of people are not in the Individual Plan Market.

It could have an impact on that portion of the Individual Plan market that is subsidized.No clue if there are provisions for late payments. Sounds like an intentional effort to compel the failure of this relatively small segment of the insurance market, albeit one that insures millions of people.

It would not bode well for Trump or Congress.

Old 07-29-2017, 04:27 PM

3,674 posts, read 3,034,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neko_mimi View Post
If all those other nations are so great, why don't you just move to one of them?
I did! And was never happier. And in advance response to the inevitable " good riddance" and " no loss" happy horsechit from the "patriots" here- I actually earned my way- became as educated as much as possible; am a law-abiding citizen who enlisted to serve America. But yeah no loss

Old 07-29-2017, 04:28 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,447,778 times
Hardly surprising. I've said some threads ago that if Republicans can't get their **** together on a new healthcare bill, Trump's team will find ways to cripple the existing system to the point where it brings the nation to its knees and a new healthcare bill is able to be forced through. And that new thing will basically feature decimated Medicaid, double digit uninsured, and wider latitude for insurers to screw policyholders.

I see nothing to be optimistic about. One way or another, the seige will prevail, Obamacare will end, and a replacement will come that makes the state of healthcare FAR WORSE for the nation. It is inevitable that our living standard in health measures - already trailing the Western world - will continue to decline further.

Conservatives have never had and will never have good ideas on healthcare reform because they don't understand the market.

Old 07-29-2017, 04:29 PM

8,886 posts, read 5,368,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
The funny thing about him doing this, is he is unwittingly admitting that Obamacare (the ACA) will work fine unless he actively sabotages it.

Thought he was all about respecting the law?
Actually all he has to do now is sit back and do nothing. That will prove the ACA is a failure. The insurance company bailouts (or bribes, depending on your view) appear to have expired. There is no provision to fund them (legally).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies