Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2008, 04:16 PM

20,225 posts, read 19,787,225 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Its true when I think f feminist I think of women who are militant, advesarial, and down right contemptuous of men or any women who don't agree with them. Gloria Stienman comes to mind. I myself have no issues with having a female as a boss. My wife is my partner and my equal in all decision making. We share in the house work and I do the yard work. Sometimes my wife even helps cut the grass. LOL
No I don't like stereo typical feminists. They are the same ugly beast that they rant about only of a different gender. Sexist is sexist no matter who is doing it. I have met some women who champion the rights of women and I respect them. They don't slander, stereotype, nor do they make every conversation a rant on the evils of all men.
For the militant type feminists try taking a valium, calm down and learn to approach a problem rationally.
How many feminists does it take to change a light bulb?

THAT'S NOT FUNNY!!!

Jokes don't bother me. Some irreverent comedy keeps things mellow, IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2008, 04:18 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,170,900 times
Feminazi is a stupid term, people who like that term will apply it to any female who disagrees with them.

Old 03-13-2008, 04:21 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,148,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acupunk View Post
Feminazi is a stupid term, people who like that term will apply it to any female who disagrees with them.
I have never heard the term used in conversation. That is in real life. It does in fact fit some feminists.

Old 03-13-2008, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
I have never heard the term used in conversation. That is in real life. It does in fact fit some feminists.
I still think it's a stupid term, I have heard it used, and I have had it applied to me by someone who disagreed with me.

Old 03-13-2008, 04:48 PM

20,170 posts, read 24,244,359 times
Quote:
What do you think might be the motivation for creating such a term -- sheer willful malevolence?

Don't you think it is descriptive of the totalitarian tendencies among gender feminists -- or are you simply unwilling to admit either that such tendencies exist, or that your not engaging in them makes them not relevant?

Old 03-13-2008, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
What do you think might be the motivation for creating such a term -- sheer willful malevolence?

Don't you think it is descriptive of the totalitarian tendencies among gender feminists -- or are you simply unwilling to admit either that such tendencies exist, or that your not engaging in them makes them not relevant?
I feel like people are determined to prove that I must secretly hold stereo typical views simply because I started a thread on feminism? My thinking it's stupid term is simply my opinion, I find the incessant use of the word nazi in casual conversations irritating. If you think it's a descriptive word to describe the feminists you see then use it. I have only heard the term applied to women who disagree with a man, not as a truly descriptive term.

I assume the totalitarian tendencies do exist, I haven't really experienced it outside of the media. I consider myself a feminist, but my political activism involves other issues I feel are more important at this time so I wouldn't necessarily have reason to associate with those type of people.

Old 03-13-2008, 05:55 PM

4,714 posts, read 13,275,578 times
After 45 years of watching the movement accomplish nothing...I will venture to say that to be a feminist is to be nothing at all...Somehow it got hijacked into the Lesbian Culture and lost its meaning of equality...I wished it had helped women but it died its last gasp without accomplishing very much at all....I'm truly sorry for it missing the mark...and I'm comparing it to the great movements in the past...suffrage...the temperance movement...

Old 03-13-2008, 06:10 PM

20,170 posts, read 24,244,359 times
Quote:
I feel like people are determined to prove that I must secretly hold stereo typical views simply because I started a thread on feminism? My thinking it's stupid term is simply my opinion, I find the incessant use of the word nazi in casual conversations irritating. If you think it's a descriptive word to describe the feminists you see then use it. I have only heard the term applied to women who disagree with a man, not as a truly descriptive term.

I assume the totalitarian tendencies do exist, I haven't really experienced it outside of the media. I consider myself a feminist, but my political activism involves other issues I feel are more important at this time so I wouldn't necessarily have reason to associate with those type of people.
I take a different perspective than you. Although the term is not one I would use, I prefer to look for the motaivation behind its use, rather than simply rejecting the word out of context -- and that motivation includes within it a valid core of accuracy when the tactics of gender feminism are analyzed.

With all due respect, the fact that you have never experienced or observed the totalitarian aspects of gender feminism ("outside of the media"? Isn't the media a valid channel of information?) is hardly a logical reason to deny they exist.

Finally, I am puzzled at your last sentence, which seems to imply that feminism plays a small part in your active consciousness; if so, may I ask why you started this thread?

Old 03-13-2008, 06:26 PM

Quote:
I take a different perspective than you. Although the term is not one I would use, I prefer to look for the motaivation behind its use, rather than simply rejecting the word out of context -- and that motivation includes within it a valid core of accuracy when the tactics of gender feminism are analyzed.

I feel the motivation is to insult more than be truly descriptive

With all due respect, the fact that you have never experienced or observed the totalitarian aspects of gender feminism ("outside of the media"? Isn't the media a valid channel of information?) is hardly a logical reason to deny they exist.

I didn't deny they exist, I stated I feel they are the minority. I also didn't say the media wasn't valid, although I was mostly talking about movies and TV shows which aren't real.

Finally, I am puzzled at your last sentence, which seems to imply that feminism plays a small part in your active consciousness; if so, may I ask why you started this thread?
Because I was interested in why people show such disdain for feminists, and I feel people don't understand what the term actually means to the average woman.

The reason I'm not an activist in this area is because I feel woman have achieved a good deal of equality and the sexism that still exists can only be dealt with through education and discussions like this thread. I live feminism by being a successful women and encouraging other women to do the same. There are more pressing issues this country needs to deal with. If things start to change and women start to lose the rights they have aquired, I'll be out there fighting.

Last edited by detshen; 03-13-2008 at 06:53 PM..

Old 03-13-2008, 06:56 PM

502 posts, read 1,063,448 times
Quote:

Language has power, Yeledaf. Your boys in Washington are masterful at manipulating the public mind by using simple language to explain away complex issues. In this context, "feminazi" is generally used in such a way to belittle and undermine any argument a woman may have. The motivation is, in my observational experience, generally a degree of panic and irritation coupled with a severe lack of argumentative prowess. The use of the derogative is a political manuever used to alienate and marginalize.

I knew a girl in college that everyone referred to as a feminazi. I asked a few people why, she was anything but combative, and it turned out that she wouldn't put out for this jerk that assumed that she was lesbian because she didn't sleep with him. To this genius, lesbian=feminazi. He used the word to protect his little ego.

Frankly, I find sexist men to be weak and pathetic. I like strong women. I like to be challenged. I do, though, have to agree that it's pretty irritating to hear someone talk about my societal established privilege and use it to cast me as a villain, but like I said earlier: they don't mean me. it's not personal, and it's easy to understand where the anger comes from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies