Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2017, 09:52 AM

18,491 posts, read 9,157,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
When I broke my wrist the orthopedic surgeon wasn't going to see me right away so I had time to check around, at least my husband did. I was in pain but we checked around.
Be sure to shop around for healthcare when you're having a heart attack.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2017, 10:01 AM

23,654 posts, read 17,506,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Be sure to shop around for healthcare when you're having a heart attack.
I may need to. One can change doctors after the initial emergency is over. Now few people die of a heart attack if they get to the hospital in time. Plus we know of cases where people have died from waiting in overcrowded emergency rooms. When people can go to emergency rooms to be treated for a cough this happens.

Old 07-31-2017, 10:03 AM

3,458 posts, read 1,454,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
We are supposedly the leader of the world but we are really stupid when it comes to healthcare. What are you guys scared about having universal healthcare. There are over 58 countries that have healthcare for all.....some even implemented in the early 1900's.
Nobody is afraid of universal healthcare. We are afraid of mandated for profit healthcare, or OBC, which is a different story altogether, and a stupid one at that.

Old 07-31-2017, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Funny, under OBC I had a doctor tell me he didn't take cash, or my market place insurance. Only workers insurance. Fancy that, "nope, we don't take cash," I was shocked. I think I asked "you don't take cash?" about fifty times.

Old 07-31-2017, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
Exactly. Competition on medical care only works for the person who holds the power. When you want breast augmentation, YOU hold the power. When you are sick or dying, they hold all the power.

I'm not sure why people can't think through this and think that it will work like buying toothpaste or something.
Isn't that funny, although are healthcare is for profit so it's designed to work that way. Which is why this mandate doesn't work at all to make healthcare affordable. Our healthcare system is run like any other business.

Old 07-31-2017, 10:10 AM

18,491 posts, read 9,157,203 times
Quote:
I may need to. One can change doctors after the initial emergency is over. Now few people die of a heart attack if they get to the hospital in time. Plus we know of cases where people have died from waiting in overcrowded emergency rooms. When people can go to emergency rooms to be treated for a cough this happens.
Are you going to shop around during the initial emergency?

Old 07-31-2017, 10:22 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 1 day ago)

27,163 posts, read 13,449,232 times
Reconstructive or plastic surgery is available in relation to disease, accident or burns in most healthcare systems and cosmetic surgery will only be carried out if it is related to a health problem.

However purely cosmetic surgery is often private in companies with universal healthcare.

There are lots of private cosmetic surgeons operating in places such as the UK and indeed private hospitals, including private psychiatric hospitals and rehab centres.

Universal Healthcare is often linked to public universities and is often very good in relation to major injuries, disease and trauma at one level and more minor healthcare at the opposite end in terms of the family doctor. The main problem is waiting for routine non urgent care, such as hip replacements and the private sector often carries out such operations with NHS funding in order to help reduce waiting times.

Those on low income or under 18 can claim for free eye and dental treatment, however most high street dentists and optitians are private.

The system is a mixture, indeed if you somwhere like London's Harley Street you can find every private treatment imaginable, but of course you have to have the money to afford such non essential cosmetic treatments.

Old 07-31-2017, 10:23 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,656,633 times
Quote:
When I broke my wrist the orthopedic surgeon wasn't going to see me right away so I had time to check around, at least my husband did. I was in pain but we checked around.
Your husband called around and said what?

"Hey, my wife janelle broke her wrist? What is your charge for a broken wrist?" Hard for me to even believe that you got a credible answer. Anyone with any medical savvy would know that there is no way you could even get a good answer, much less hold the doctor to this charge. Again, you have no power in this situation.

What kind of real answer did you get? There are as many types of charges for a "broken wrist" as there are for different degrees of broken wrists?

Do you think it's a flat rate for a broken wrist? It's probably a range of something like $200-$3,000 depending on what needs to be done to set it and how complex the fracture is. And once you put yourself in that position they can come up with any charge they want.

Old 07-31-2017, 10:37 AM

51,651 posts, read 25,807,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokinouta View Post
Funny, under OBC I had a doctor tell me he didn't take cash, or my market place insurance. Only workers insurance. Fancy that, "nope, we don't take cash," I was shocked. I think I asked "you don't take cash?" about fifty times.

Cash means security concerns. Anyone in the waiting room knows there's money in the drawer. What's to keep them from robbing the place?

Cash means having to have processes to make sure the staff doesn't pilfer it and someone has to take it to the bank.

Credit card payments are much easier to manage. That's why airlines require credit cards to buy drinks on board.

Old 07-31-2017, 10:40 AM

51,651 posts, read 25,807,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
Your husband called around and said what?

"Hey, my wife janelle broke her wrist? What is your charge for a broken wrist?" Hard for me to even believe that you got a credible answer. Anyone with any medical savvy would know that there is no way you could even get a good answer, much less hold the doctor to this charge. Again, you have no power in this situation.

What kind of real answer did you get? There are as many types of charges for a "broken wrist" as there are for different degrees of broken wrists?

Do you think it's a flat rate for a broken wrist? It's probably a range of something like $200-$3,000 depending on what needs to be done to set it and how complex the fracture is. And once you put yourself in that position they can come up with any charge they want.

I had no idea medical offices had set charges for broken wrists.

The could tell you how much it costs for an x-ray, for a doctor's visit, for a cast I guess. But how could a doctor's office predict what the total cost would be for a broken wrist they had not yet seen"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies