Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2017, 12:20 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,450,610 times

Advertisements

That's it...it's a done deal. North Korea has missiles that can hit pretty much across mainland USA. And many experts have a lot of confidence that if they have developed this technology, then they have very much likely developed the miniaturization and re-entry technology to deliver the warhead. And they have a growing stockpile of weapons.

So that means we can no longer pretend like "there is still time" to stop the North Koreans. No, there isn't. Time ran out while we sat on our asses and pretended that sanctions would work.

This means we really don't have the leverage anymore to really get rough with North Korea and pressure them into a different outcome. We are going to have to get into the business of accepting this and de-escalating tensions on the peninsula, and trying to integrate North Korea into more of the mainstream where we can have a better hope of influencing their behaviors, same as we do with any other nuclear power. And that means that Kim Jong Un is going to get at least some of what he wants, probably a good deal.

And it also means that now Japan, South Korea, and others will embark on their own efforts to get nuclear weapons.

I feel a lot less safe. And I think a lot of the blame goes on Obama, who did nothing about this for eight years. Not that Trump would have been / will be much better, in my opinion. But the time for a more drastic intervention by force was like a year or two ago. Now it's too late.

Old 07-31-2017, 12:59 AM

3,615 posts, read 2,330,890 times
The problem is that some people around the world see America as the worlds policeman and will take care of everything while we continue to decline domestically. Obama kept the war games going in the Korean peninsula and was very weak on foreign policy from removing troops from iraq and letting isis spread, helping the west overthrow Qaddafi in libya and promoting the rather bizarre arab spring and on and on.

We have no really good options in north korea thanks to years and years of bad foreign policy from w. bush to obama, I just want south korea and japan to become more self defense oriented, militarized and self reliant.

Why isnt Seoul , South Korea and Japan like America in the 1950s with bunkers civil defense and nuclear preparedness, its even happening on a small scale in hawaii and maybe alaska and more of the west coast. The 1950s orderly and disciplined, civil defense culture may be coming back to all of America as well. The 1950s was a great time for order and discipline

Old 07-31-2017, 01:03 AM

3,211 posts, read 2,243,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
That's it...it's a done deal. North Korea has missiles that can hit pretty much across mainland USA. And many experts have a lot of confidence that if they have developed this technology, then they have very much likely developed the miniaturization and re-entry technology to deliver the warhead. And they have a growing stockpile of weapons.

So that means we can no longer pretend like "there is still time" to stop the North Koreans. No, there isn't. Time ran out while we sat on our asses and pretended that sanctions would work.

This means we really don't have the leverage anymore to really get rough with North Korea and pressure them into a different outcome. We are going to have to get into the business of accepting this and de-escalating tensions on the peninsula, and trying to integrate North Korea into more of the mainstream where we can have a better hope of influencing their behaviors, same as we do with any other nuclear power. And that means that Kim Jong Un is going to get at least some of what he wants, probably a good deal.

And it also means that now Japan, South Korea, and others will embark on their own efforts to get nuclear weapons.

I feel a lot less safe. And I think a lot of the blame goes on Obama, who did nothing about this for eight years. Not that Trump would have been / will be much better, in my opinion. But the time for a more drastic intervention by force was like a year or two ago. Now it's too late.
Wow, something we agree on. Ultimately, we have to really develop our missile defense systems to be as effective as possible and to maintain acceptable relations with all countries if at all possible.

Old 07-31-2017, 02:59 AM

4,627 posts, read 3,395,314 times
Quote:

I think it is fair to call it a bi-partisan failure (e.g., Clinton, Bush junior, Obama, etc.). Also, when you inherit two wars and a damaged international reputation as Obama did, it is harder to do something definitive in other areas.

Let's pretend we never had our misadventure in Iraq. Do you think a preemptive strike on North Korea would have been the right thing to do?

Old 07-31-2017, 03:43 AM

8,555 posts, read 10,978,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astral_Weeks View Post
I think it is fair to call it a bi-partisan failure (e.g., Clinton, Bush junior, Obama, etc.). Also, when you inherit two wars and a damaged international reputation as Obama did, it is harder to do something definitive in other areas.

Let's pretend we never had our misadventure in Iraq. Do you think a preemptive strike on North Korea would have been the right thing to do?
Not only is it the right thing to do,but the only thing to do.
The only way the NK situation will end is to blow it off the planet in one fell swoop, and soon.

Bob.

Old 07-31-2017, 03:56 AM

7,800 posts, read 4,400,201 times
There is nothing any administration could have done or can do because of the potential catastrophe another Korean War would have on South Korea and Japan. Millions would die.

NK has been a problem for all presidents since the end of hostilities in 1952. Drawing fake lines in the sand, only made NK want to cross them.

Better now to keep them isolated and keep rhetoric about invading them to a minimum. Eventually the regime will collapse which we should encourage covertly, but we must patient just as we were with the USSR. Regimes like this will eventually fall.

I would also add that a nuclear armed NK is not a blessing for China either and they too will have increasing problems with them. Once NK becomes a bigger problem for China you may see them take a greater role in in Un's removal instead of the empty words coming from them now.

Old 07-31-2017, 04:07 AM

30,433 posts, read 21,255,233 times
Just let Korea do whatever. If they throw a nuke then tell S- Korea to gets it's people out of the country and use some of them old early 80's 20+ megaton nukes and take out N Korea. They are just crap talkers and won't do anything. Same old thing for years.

Old 07-31-2017, 04:13 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
That's it...it's a done deal.
You won't be happy until we are at war with the entire world will you?

Old 07-31-2017, 04:36 AM

6,617 posts, read 5,009,834 times
Quote:

How was the time a couple of years ago? The impediment to stopping n Korea is its proximity to South Korea, did they move?
You cant sacrifice another country and it's millions of people just because n Korea has the ability to attack us that's insane.

Old 07-31-2017, 04:48 AM

8,224 posts, read 3,497,598 times
Quote:
That's it...it's a done deal. North Korea has missiles that can hit pretty much across mainland USA.
And you base this off of short range tests? A country that rips off/reverse engineers Russian and Chinese armaments...

The sanctions that just were passed, includes not just Russia but Iran and North Korea.

Really was a wise move to poke Rootin Tootin Putin knowing he's got Satan2s. Just 1 has the capability to eliminate a land mass the size of France or Texas and you're worried about a hermit Saber rattling 40 year technological difference in armament...

I'd be only worried if Putin collaborates with Kim and Kim gets one of these...

OH by the way, it's completely stealth AND has armor so in the event it is detected and can't out maneuver whatever is chasing it down, the chances of it being intercepted are slim to none...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies