Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2017, 10:29 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Leftists famously claim whenever the argument of illegal immigration comes up that "we are an nation of immigrants," and they use that argument to justify their support for unlimited immigration. Anybody should be allowed to come here that wants to.

Where dose this notion that "we are a nation of immigrants" come from? In fact, we have always limited immigration to people who could directly benefit our country. We have always made it a requirement that they learn English, and assimilate into our culture, and that's what most immigrants in the past wanted to do. They wanted to become Americans. That isn't true anymore. Why should we allow people who are not interested in becoming Americans into our country?

[This was supposed to by posted under Immigration]
Correct; we've always had an immigration policy. There has been immigration since 1607--Jamestown. Or the 1500's, even (St. Augustine, FL, Santa Fe, NM) Therefore, we're a nation of immigrants. The fact that we regulate immigration doesn't refute the statement that we're a nation of immigrants.

And I have news for you; most leftists do NOT support illegal immigration, because it cheapens the value of labor, and tends to take jobs away from Americans. It's business that favors illegal immigration, for the cheap labor it provides. Illegal immigration is ALL about business interests. So is legal immigration, to a degree; the abuse of the H1b visa system, and allowing businesses to lay off masses of US workers in favor of cheap imported skilled workers, for example.

Old 08-02-2017, 10:30 AM

1,304 posts, read 1,093,804 times
Hey,

I'm pretty liberal, and I'm all for reducing illegal immigration. However, like our "war on poverty" or "war on drugs" or any other stupid idea usually proliferated by conservatives who don't like America changing from what it was in the romanticized 1950s... attacking the supply without addressing the reasons for the demand is bound to fail.

As a result, I propose, and I'd love to see the opinions of the conservatives on this one, that we double down on enforcement of hiring laws. Let's go after the business owners who run shops that hire illegals. I know it's a novel idea, but I think if we can nip the demand in the bud, we'll see far slower influxes of people looking for work.

Old 08-02-2017, 10:30 AM

34,231 posts, read 18,579,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
No, we are not. What our ancestors did is no basis to call American born natives, immigrants. We are mostly a nation of U.S. citizens today. Our native born citizen population way outnumbers our immigrant one. Time to shed that stupid label and just be ourselves.

^^^^^This. All my grandparents were born here, by parents were born here, and I was born here. None of us were immigrants. My ancestors came here over 125 years ago as children, so I am also a native American.

Old 08-02-2017, 10:33 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,038,880 times
Quote:
. We have always made it a requirement that they learn English, and assimilate into our culture, and that's what most immigrants in the past wanted to do. They wanted to become Americans. That isn't true anymore. Why should we allow people who are not interested in becoming Americans into our country?

Uh. Ever been to a Chinatown? Or Little Italy? Or Koreantown? Or any other ethnic enclave in any city?

Old 08-02-2017, 10:36 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,366,942 times
Quote:
Leftists famously claim whenever the argument of illegal immigration comes up that "we are an nation of immigrants," and they use that argument to justify their support for unlimited immigration. Anybody should be allowed to come here that wants to.

Where dose this notion that "we are a nation of immigrants" come from? In fact, we have always limited immigration to people who could directly benefit our country. We have always made it a requirement that they learn English, and assimilate into our culture, and that's what most immigrants in the past wanted to do. They wanted to become Americans. That isn't true anymore. Why should we allow people who are not interested in becoming Americans into our country?

It's a simple statement and should be taken at face value. The United States has been populated over time by people who came from elsewhere. The rest of your post is a political argument that I have no desire to engage.

Old 08-02-2017, 10:36 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,036,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Since what became the United States of America largely started from immigrants from England (and Europe etc.) we are a nation of immigrants. There has never been a time when we did not have immigrants coming here.

Are you aware of the writing on our famous Statue of Liberty? Check it out, get a clue, wake up.

This all probably gives Donny and his buddies a tummy ache and make them want to cry or pound their fists, but nothing will ever change this reality. This isn't an ideological matter; it's classic American history involving liberty, freedom, and our heritage (words you need to investigate if you have the guts).
Again (and I'm a Trump despising leftist, check my post history), there is a difference between controlled legal immigration and uncontrolled illegal immigration. Why does the left ignore this?

Because a good portion of the left is of the: "one world, America is the bad guy so it should be punished by all the poverty and destitution it has created", or Hispanics who simply want to see their own power and influence rise.

Neither of those beliefs is "evil", I just don't agree with them, and I don't think government policy should be driven by them in any way.

So in some ways, my immigration beliefs fall more in line with Trump than with Sanders (voted for in primary) or Hillary (voted for in national), but I'm not a one issue voter, and Trump is such a reprehensible incompetent clown that I could never support him.

Old 08-02-2017, 10:40 AM

62,945 posts, read 29,134,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augiec View Post
Hey,

I'm pretty liberal, and I'm all for reducing illegal immigration. However, like our "war on poverty" or "war on drugs" or any other stupid idea usually proliferated by conservatives who don't like America changing from what it was in the romanticized 1950s... attacking the supply without addressing the reasons for the demand is bound to fail.

As a result, I propose, and I'd love to see the opinions of the conservatives on this one, that we double down on enforcement of hiring laws. Let's go after the business owners who run shops that hire illegals. I know it's a novel idea, but I think if we can nip the demand in the bud, we'll see far slower influxes of people looking for work.
What Trump is proposing is reducing legal immigration. It's not about illegal immigration which is an entirely different subject. We need to reduce both, however.

No one is arguing against punishing the employers who hire illegal aliens and in fact E-verify is in Trump's 2018 budget.

There were many good things about the 50's none of which has anything to do with race. Seems like those who speak out against it just want to see a less white population.

Old 08-02-2017, 10:42 AM

1,720 posts, read 1,316,146 times
Jewish influence on immigration policy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtIwKI_iNgM

Old 08-02-2017, 10:48 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:

Because big hotel chains, the garment industry, and agriculture need cheap, illegal labor, and high tech needs cheap legal labor. They don't care if those people assimilate, as long as the bottom line is served. Furthermore, the US has always given visas to people who weren't interested in Americanizing: the language requirement for citizenship is very elementary, and those who aren't interested in citizenship don't need to master even that minimal amount of English. Many Chinese, Japanese and Russians, to name a few, never learned more than elementary English, and the elderly often didn't do even that much. Nobody really had a problem with it, until recent decades.

And no, we have not "always" limited immigration to those who could benefit out country. US immigration policy since WWII actually has favored admitting the elderly, probably because they wouldn't compete for jobs with Americans? I don't know why, but young, highly skilled people escaping war or revolution had to go to Latin America first, then apply after a few years from there to get into the US, while their parents were given visas immediately. Go figure. After the Soviet system crashed, again, there were hordes of elderly Russians and East Europeans flooding into gateway cities.

Your take on immigration policy seems to come more from book learning or other sources, rather than from direct observation or personal experience.

Old 08-02-2017, 10:57 AM

5,792 posts, read 5,106,539 times
Quote:

Your old ancestors came here uninvited and stayed through might and luck. You may not be a true immigrant, but you are certainly a descendant of immigrants who is benefiting from that immigration. Given that you are such a person, you have no right whining and complaining about others who wish to, legally, immigrate here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies