Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2017, 05:11 PM

52,269 posts, read 52,700,922 times

Advertisements

Prescription drug abuse kills more people than all of the other drugs combined by a long shot. Too lazy to google it, but it's been discussed quite a bit here in the past.

Moderate alcohol and MJ use is fine. We've been imbibing in those forever. These drug spikes and deaths are more related to opioid abuse.

Old 08-01-2017, 05:13 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,674,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
Matter of fact, the banks may not approve me a business loan if I plan and inform them that I am going to hire druggies.

Perhaps a bunch of druggies could set an example by coming up with a financial capital, say a few million dollars, loan if to an emplyee to invest and expand his business and also make sure to hire those druggies in the work force - not a bad idea, isn't it?
Good points. But how about these?

1. Drug tests are not required for teachers, coaches and other such people.
2. Drug tests are not required for political leaders
3. Drug tests are not required for (most) bankers and Wall Street types (maybe a low level bank teller, but not an investment banker!).
4. Drug tests are not required for surgeons and doctors (and very rare even in med school and residency).

I could go on - but the fact is that you interact with these "druggies and drunks" and trust your lives, your country and your kids to them. So you get along with them just fine....while you hold the fantasy that you have control of some sort.

A guy who used to play in my band was drunk as heck every night - I mean REALLY bad. He got high also. It was scary thinking that he even drove the 5 miles to get to my house...and even scarier that he taught high school. With the kind of drinking and stoning he was doing, there is NO WAY he was not impaired during the day.

So, rest your head on the pillow in the comfort that your efforts....mean little. Society dumps on the little guys...the low wage working man, while allowing the billionaire or others of higher social position to party on.

Old 08-01-2017, 05:15 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,400,252 times
Quote:
If you take drugs in a way that breaks the law, and which could also be potentially a factor that decrease the probability of your efficiency at work, AND taking drugs (whether done in "your own unpaid time" or not ) is proved by a drug test then ------ you are not working for me.

You got your life and I got my business to run. We are not a good match. And I think we both should be OK with it.
I've been fine, did well at every job I ever had and my work was never compromised by anything I did outside of work.

Quote:
You should be able to find an employer of your liking and I should be able to find an employee that meets my criteria.

Matter of fact, the banks may not approve me a business loan if I plan and inform them that I am going to hire druggies.
Years ago I knew someone who graduated from a prestigious engineering school with a 3.9 GPA who also admitted to smoking cannabis most days of his college career. He was a brilliant engineer and would have been an asset to any company that hired him, those who wouldn't because they thought he smoked a weed on his own time shot themselves in the foot.

I'm opposed to pre-employment drug testing, I always thought it silly to go through an interview or three and then have someone from HR call and say we like you and want to hire you but we think you're a druggie and you must prove your innocence, I still believe that silly concept of presumed innocence. The typical 90 day probation period should be more then adequate for determining someone's job performance.

Old 08-01-2017, 05:16 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,532,112 times
When was it that the entire middle class started peeing in a cup at the employer's demand?

I forget.

Old 08-01-2017, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Prescription drug abuse kills more people than all of the other drugs combined by a long shot. Too lazy to google it, but it's been discussed quite a bit here in the past.

Moderate alcohol and MJ use is fine. We've been imbibing in those forever. These drug spikes and deaths are more related to opioid abuse.
Not only that - but something like 50% of the opiate OD's have other drugs in their system - often lots of them (and booze). A deadly combo.

Another thing - since the plain old recreational (opium) extract is not available, the market went 100% to heroin. Then, given modern chemistry, people figured out how to cook up fentanyl by the ton. They even have compounds 20X as strong as that! Death from a speck.....

Another shocker - many of these drugs are legal. They change a couple molecules and the result is not classified but does the same thing as the original.

This all proves how ridiculous the "war on drugs" is. Don the Con is going to build a wall that you can't sling a 60 lbs bag of drugs over - when one gram of some stuff is thousands of doses.

Old 08-01-2017, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
When was it that the entire middle class started peeing in a cup at the employer's demand?

I forget.
I have never done it and never will. Oh, don't smoke pot either. Don't drink either.

It's dehumanizing. I'd do it only if I were an airline pilot or the like...

Old 08-01-2017, 05:37 PM

52,269 posts, read 52,700,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Not only that - but something like 50% of the opiate OD's have other drugs in their system - often lots of them (and booze). A deadly combo.

Another thing - since the plain old recreational (opium) extract is not available, the market went 100% to heroin. Then, given modern chemistry, people figured out how to cook up fentanyl by the ton. They even have compounds 20X as strong as that! Death from a speck.....

Another shocker - many of these drugs are legal. They change a couple molecules and the result is not classified but does the same thing as the original.

This all proves how ridiculous the "war on drugs" is. Don the Con is going to build a wall that you can't sling a 60 lbs bag of drugs over - when one gram of some stuff is thousands of doses.
I've got a couple of family members that are nurses and they've seen a spike in people coming in faking symptoms and doing other things to get scripts written. They been seeing this for a few years now.

I don't do drugs other than alcohol and have no vested interest here, but the war on drugs has been a waste of time and money for 60 plus years. Prohibition is a perfect example of trying to legalize morality. It doesn't work as man wants to get his high on and he wants to get his "booty" time on as well (prostitution)

Portugal has recently changed it's drug policy and we should examine how it's working for them and see what the results are. I hear that all the metrics are improving with it. Drug use is actually down, tax revenues are up and a few other things.

Again, to lazy to google it, but there's a few articles out there.

There is a HUGE amount of hypocrisy when it comes to this subject.

The alcoholic bastard waved his finger at me
And His voice was filled with evangelical glee
Sipping down his gin and tonics
While preaching about the evils of narcotics...

Danny Elfman.

Old 08-01-2017, 06:10 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,790,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtrucks View Post
Why have drugs especially opium become an epidemic and who do you blame. Its destroying our society.

https://www.axios.com/many-americans...467304330.html
Cheech is worth $12M
https://www.celebritynetworth.com/ri...rin-net-worth/

Chong $8M
https://www.google.com/search?q=how+...utf-8&oe=utf-8

Not too shabby for heads. May they all be such a blight on society.

Old 08-01-2017, 06:19 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,574,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
People who equate a joint or two to a few cocktails haven't a clue.
You're right, the cocktails are much worse.

Old 08-01-2017, 11:21 PM

7,184 posts, read 4,768,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
I don't think "outsmarting" is the motivation, rather just an unwillingness to give up weekends that involve plenty of alcohol and drugs.

I hear that meth is a hard drug, and the cause of plenty of social problems, but amongst the few that I know who are regular users, I don't see any evidence of that.

I don't know exactly how accurate the notion of meth being harder to detect after a few days is, but it is certainly a common one. As I said, I think concern about having weed detected in the system, might be a factor in the increase of meth use.
Meth can be detected in a urine drug screen (UDS). Prolonged or heavy meth use affects the teeth, produces meth sores, etc.

Meth users are not difficult to spot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies