Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2017, 02:40 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
It's pretty much an obvious indicator that the person you originally quoted has no idea what they are talking about.

Legal prescription painkillers are the cause of the opioid epidemic.

What don1945 said is head shaking-ly ignorant.
Prescription pain killers serve a purpose.
That purpose is not recreational.

Most of those experiencing overdose use opioids/ opiates for recreational purposes.

Old 08-01-2017, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Town FFX View Post
Why? Over prescribed opioids?

Who? Well, Doctors really. But they were told for years that they weren't addictive and to not let people live in pain.

I do think it's silly that "all of the sudden" it's a problem, and people are scurrying for solutions. The problem: It's affected Sussy Soccer Mom and a lot of suburban families. Opioid abuse that leads to heroin for a cheaper, longer high, then cut with other drugs like fentanyl, causing overdoses is a vicious cycle. It's been going on for years. Now that middle america is being hit with it, it's a different story.

Cannabis is the least of concerns when facing the opioid "epidemic".
Opioid/ opiate addiction epidemic is a product of the 2010's where the addictive nature of painkillers is understood by all prescribers.

I am unaware of a grandma who underwent a hip replacement selling her trinkets to buy Heroin.

When one buys pills off the street, one has no clue who manufactured them.

Old 08-01-2017, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glamatomic View Post
^ Nothing new.

Employers around the country have been reporting similar tales for the past 5-7 years.

The Army is challenged to meet recruitment quotas for similar reasons.

The Internet is bursting with noise about how to beat a drug test.

Old 08-01-2017, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
The Genesis is 1995 Purdue Pharma and Oxycontin. The extent of our opioid epidemic is largely the responsibility of Purdue Pharma and the lies they told about Oxy, with help from the government, doctors, and anyone else who could get rich off of it. A sick story of American greed. Everyone should educate themselves on it. Pot has literally NOTHING to do with the current epidemic.

How the American opiate epidemic was started by one pharmaceutical company

I don't smoke pot, don't really care about legalization although I'm not opposed to it, it's not a high priority issue to me. But anyone who mentions pot in the same breath as the opioid crisis is clueless.
The epidemic is a product of the 2010's.

There is no longer any doubt about the addictiveness of pain medications.

Old 08-01-2017, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
You likely didn't have a mini-skirted representative of BigPharma extolling the wonders of opiates to you.

It's not so much a case of they can't get them, an $80 Oxy on the street makes a $10 bag of heroin appear quite attractive.
Opioid addiction is a growing epidemic in many high income countries throughout the world. The profile of an addict is white, age 20-29 who was not prescribed pain medication. They acquire pills on the street and use them for recreational purposes.

A percentage of these pills are being manufactured by means other than Big Pharma.

Old 08-01-2017, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
Seriously? So the owners of a factory where people use heavy machinery that could kill them if used improperly shouldn't give it a second thought if their employees come to work stoned? You don't think that their employees' insurance coverage hinges on whether or not they do mandatory drug testing?

Do you want to share the road with someone who is driving a multi-ton semi or dump truck and is stoned out of their mind? Would you like a nurse who is an addict providing your care in the hospital?

These laws have nothing to do with "fascism", they have to do with common sense and safety. It is pretty selfish to think that they shouldn't exist when their purpose is to protect the general public. I'm sure that mandatory drug testing in the workplace has saved many lives that people don't even know about.

I am an RN. My job requires knowledge, skill, and critical thinking, and people's lives are in my hands. If I went to work high I could easily kill someone. It isn't just about you.
Worthy of a repeat.

Old 08-01-2017, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
It is, from what I read the majority of those addicted became so not thru any intentions of getting high but thru the legitimate use of painkillers that were frequently over prescribed. It can't be pleasant when the prescriptions run out.
I have volunteered on again/ off again in a hospital detox and treatment center. The very first thing one learns is that all addicts lie.

Most have a history of poly- substance abuse and began their journey with weed. This is not meant to imply most weed users move on to opiates/ opioids.

My point is that the journey rarely starts with a prescription for a legitimate pain and escalates from there for the most at risk group, teens and young adults.

Old 08-01-2017, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatDJohns View Post
Here's a quick answer, blame the pharmaceutical companies pushing their drugs on the American public. One night, while watching TV, write down how many drug commercials air in an hour. It is not only shocking, it is sickening.
Prescriptions for Oxy have declined 40% since 2010.

Having said this, I agree that Big Pharma invests huge sums into advertising to persuade people to ask their doctor what XYZ can do for you.

Only the US and NZ allow drug manufacturers to advertize like this to the general public.

Old 08-01-2017, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
Switch weed with wine or beer and rethink it. If a wine or beer drinker had to go "a few months" without drinking (probably among their favorite pastimes) for a chance at a job, what would they say/think? They'd say "F-you employer." That employer is ultimately intruding into their lifestyle no?
Turn it around.

Lifestyle intrudes on ability to get hired or keep a job.

When your substance of choice interferes with getting and keeping your job, there's a problem.

Old 08-01-2017, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
I said testing should be illegal, I didn't say workplace antidrug policies should be illegal.
A new protected class, eh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies