Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2017, 07:02 PM

4,996 posts, read 2,444,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
Change the chromosomal makeup? Do you have a link for that info? I have a son with Down syndrome, I would think I would have heard that they were able to manipulate chromosomes, as that would result in Down syndrome being eliminated and in that population, made "normal". I have heard of no such innovation.

My heart is with your and your son. The science is still in its infancy..as I think you know. But progress is being made, despite resistance from Neo-luddites and religious fanatics.

Researchers turn off Down

https://www.labroots.com/virtual-eve...-genomics-2017

2017 Green Professor outlines advances in genetic research: February 2017 Center Times Online - UT Southwestern, Dallas, Texas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2017, 07:08 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,787,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murk View Post
Gay and straight have nothing to do with gender. That's sexuality, who a person is attracted to.
So let me parse this. She is a woman living as a man, married to a man, still having straight sex.

Oh man, that seems spun to me... ah well to each his/her own. I hope the kids don't become confused adults.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilEyeFleegle View Post
My heart is with your and your son. The science is still in its infancy..as I think you know. But progress is being made, despite resistance from Neo-luddites and religious fanatics.

Researchers turn off Down

https://www.labroots.com/virtual-eve...-genomics-2017

2017 Green Professor outlines advances in genetic research: February 2017 Center Times Online - UT Southwestern, Dallas, Texas
You might believe such things are progress, but gene puzzles and screwing with natural order will only bring strange results.

I love progress, not a luddite in the least... but, I'm also not ready for the island of dr moreau either.

Old 08-01-2017, 07:18 PM

15,632 posts, read 10,388,492 times
I don't see the big deal, CNN. Women have been giving birth since humans evolved. A woman giving birth is basic biology. Geez. Is CNN the science denier network?

Old 08-01-2017, 07:18 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,589,904 times
Has anyone studied the impact of hormone therapy on a fetus?

Old 08-01-2017, 08:24 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,758,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
So let me parse this. She is a woman living as a man, married to a man, still having straight sex.

Oh man, that seems spun to me... ah well to each his/her own. I hope the kids don't become confused adults.

You might believe such things are progress, but gene puzzles and screwing with natural order will only bring strange results.

I love progress, not a luddite in the least... but, I'm also not ready for the island of dr moreau either.
Curing Down's syndrome is screwing with the natural order?

Old 08-01-2017, 08:36 PM

1,640 posts, read 794,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
Has anyone studied the impact of hormone therapy on a fetus?
I don't know if there have been any reviews of available data since we're early in the game. I have not heard of any animal studies, but maybe. It's definitely concerning and it's one of those things that may not play out until the kid is grown.

Quote:
But Michael Bartalos -- a New York geneticist and internist who works with many transgender patients -- said that he would be concerned about the health of the eggs in Beatie's body. Because women are born with all the eggs they will carry for life, long-time exposure to chemicals or hormones can have an adverse effect. Any possible damage done by 10 years of testosterone would be irreversible, he said.

And even if Beatie's baby is born healthy, he said, "Who knows what might happen to her in 20 years? [The baby] could be at higher risk for certain types of cancer development."

"This is uncharted waters, but as an endocrinologist I am concerned," adds Florida's Loreena Lewy-Alterbaum, who also works with transgendered patients. "Testosterone is stored in fat cells, so even after discontinuation there could be some effect on the fetus."

She says she'd be less concerned if the fetus were male because "a girl could be born with a masculine appearance, or the (residual hormone) could affect her brain development."
Transgender Man's Baby May Have Health Problems - ABC News

I've come to the conclusion that whole idea of gender identity is ridiculous and as a society we are not handling this well at all.

Old 08-02-2017, 03:19 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,350,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatDJohns View Post
I didn't realize that the trans man who gave birth also suffered from mental illness. Elaborate please.
Obviously you flunked basic biology.

Old 08-02-2017, 07:36 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,825,823 times
Psssst: Men can't get pregnant.

It's a "science thing."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies