Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2017, 04:04 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,294,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
I don't support prohibition but how do you know it and the drug war didn't cause a reduction?

Actually, Prohibition Was a Success - NYTimes.com

If you have such a negative view of white's judgment and leadership you should move to a non-white country.
I already live in a non white country. You do too.

I don't have a negative view of white's judgement, but I damn sure don't put their views on a pedestal. Believe that!

PS. Prohibition was a disaster. SMH
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2017, 04:10 AM

3,211 posts, read 2,253,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
So lemme get this straight: I'm supposed to believe that the GOP are economic geniuses just because white people think so?

LMAO... white folks believe a whole lot of things. Most believed that war in Vietnam and Iraq made good sense. They believed that prohibition would curb drinking, and that the Drug War would reduce the amount of drugs on the streets and cut down on usage.

Frankly, I'm not all that impressed with the record of what they think.
Whether you believe it or not is immaterial....the point is that politically speaking, Republicans are going to dominate if whites go increasingly to Republicans as has been the trend.

Old 08-01-2017, 04:15 AM

33,598 posts, read 18,237,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hound 109 View Post
From the article which was inside the Tweet (the article was from the "National Journal"):

"Those were the sobering findings of a Democratic survey commissioned by the party-backed House Majority PAC, which Politico and McClatchy first reported. The poll surveyed working-class white voters in pivotal districts that Democrats are targeting in the midterms. Despite the Trump turmoil in Washington, Republicans held a 10-point lead on the generic ballot (43-33 percent) among these blue-collar voters. Democrats hold a whopping 61 percent disapproval rating among these voters, with only 32 percent approving. Even Trump’s job-approval rating is a respectable 52 percent with the demographic in these swing districts.
Democrats maintain that with robust economic messaging, they can move those numbers in their favor. But the results show how difficult that task will be. By a stunning 35-point margin, blue-collar white voters believe that Republicans will be better at improving the economy and creating jobs than Democrats. Under Trump, the economy has been growing—even in the disadvantaged parts of the country. Between promising job creation and Trump’s own paeans to blue-collar work, it’s hard to see the GOP numbers changing significantly.
The more uncomfortable reality is that these blue-collar voters’ resistance to the Democrats is on cultural grounds, not economic ones—a finding that studies of Obama-Trump voters have repeatedly shown. Democrats are facing a double-whammy: They’re still experiencing resistance among moderate voters in suburban swing districts over tax-and-spend economic policies. Meanwhile, small-town voters are having a tough time voting for their candidates because of a growing cultural disconnect.
In the short term, the House will give Democrats their best opportunity to prove they can make inroads despite the political hurdles. To win back control in the lower chamber, they will need to win Republican-held seats both in the suburbs and in small-town America. It’s not an either-or proposition. But if they fall short despite such a promising political environment, the longer-term ramifications for the party’s ability to regain congressional power are discouraging."

I've been saying the same thing for about a year. The Dems have put together an un-winnable coalition. The middle class and working class people of America are pretty skeeved out by the more vocal democrats (& democratic supporters) that they see on TV and also they have no confidence that the Dems will do anything regarding jobs, lowering taxes or the debt.

(Probably why Schumer & Pelosi and their little caravan were in semi rural VA the other day in their khaki's and rolled up sleeves trying to roll out their "better deal" program or whatever they called it.)

The article indicates that it's a double whammy of losing both the working class people (everywhere) and white middle class suburban voters (everywhere but the very blue states) that's the killer & that they've basically abandoned. (& have been condescendingly thumbing their noses at).

Not sure how they're going to get them back.
This stood out..

Even Trump’s job-approval rating is a respectable 52 percent with the demographic in these swing districts.

Old 08-01-2017, 04:34 AM

31,341 posts, read 14,360,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
Stunning # from the D poll: In swing blue-collar districts, Rs w 35 (!) pt edge over Ds on economy w non-col whites

https://mobile.twitter.com/HotlineJo...6%2Fframe.html

Why is this?

They must be racists who don't see the great things that the democrats have to offer.

Old 08-01-2017, 07:08 AM

78,752 posts, read 60,951,405 times
Threads like this have the potential to have really meaningful discussions around voter patterns and the shifts in parties and demographics.

For example, when proclaiming the extinction of the Republican party around 2008, the underlying assumption was that democrats wouldn't lose ground with the blue collar white vote and would just keep picking up minority voters ensuring domination.

As we know, that didn't happen.

So, the stage is set for the Democrats to finally counter-punch in 2018 with one of the least popular presidents in history but their public message is still that those blue collar voters are essentially uneducated, deplorable racists and that off-shoring those jobs is just "tough luck" for them.

I guess I'm still shocked Trump won and the messages haven't changed.

Old 08-01-2017, 07:13 AM

1,219 posts, read 1,760,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
The Dims are going to be wiped out in 2018 because they haven't learned anything from increasingly losing power in 2010, 2012, 2014, & 2016 successively.

The Nazi Dim Left thinks voters want to be able to choose which bathroom to use rather than whether they have a job or not.
Ha ha! Please, go into the South Bronx and tell the residents that Trump is not a Nazi but that the democrats are. And please video tape the result, I would love to see you screaming like a girl while a bunch of locals chase you out of there for peddling such nonsense.

Old 08-01-2017, 07:15 AM

1,219 posts, read 1,760,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I already live in a non white country. You do too.

I don't have a negative view of white's judgement, but I damn sure don't put their views on a pedestal. Believe that!

PS. Prohibition was a disaster. SMH
Drug Prohibition still exists and it is still an absolute disaster for anybody who isn't rich, white, or working in the prison industrial complex (which of course includes police).

Old 08-01-2017, 07:27 AM

13,517 posts, read 17,073,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Threads like this have the potential to have really meaningful discussions around voter patterns and the shifts in parties and demographics.

For example, when proclaiming the extinction of the Republican party around 2008, the underlying assumption was that democrats wouldn't lose ground with the blue collar white vote and would just keep picking up minority voters ensuring domination.

As we know, that didn't happen.

So, the stage is set for the Democrats to finally counter-punch in 2018 with one of the least popular presidents in history but their public message is still that those blue collar voters are essentially uneducated, deplorable racists and that off-shoring those jobs is just "tough luck" for them.

I guess I'm still shocked Trump won and the messages haven't changed.
There are segments of the left that cannot and will not ease up on the identity politics. Identity politics don't bother me personally much because I'm fairly well off. But constantly talking about white privilege and gender identity and gay rights (or in many cases the GOP media apparatus making people think that is all you care about granted) is a formula for losing with working class and poor whites, as proven last election.

And if your response to that is, "well, they are just racists/zenophobes/homophobes etc and we don't care", the loses will continue. Democrats could see a 6 million popular vote positive margin and still lose in the electoral college. Eventually the tide will turn because demographics are not in the GOP's favor, but it will take a long time before the electoral college advantage to rural states is overcome by sheer numbers in blue states and a shift in someplace like Florida.

Old 08-01-2017, 07:41 AM

21,427 posts, read 7,495,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
so you can win without white voters
You ignored the entire gist of that post.

Old 08-01-2017, 07:45 AM

15,358 posts, read 12,683,370 times
white folks are scared they are going to lose the country and what little power they have left. Now, they actually haven't lost anything but an election or 2 to Obama BUT that was enough to put them on edge. They will double down regardless of their financial standing in this economy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies