Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2017, 06:57 AM

34,231 posts, read 18,575,619 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellise View Post
It's not necessarily anti Russia to be concerned about Russia, or any other foreign country, interfering in US elections. Why aren't conservatives concerned?

Who says Conservatives aren't concerned about Russia? Every one I know distrusts Russia, and views then as our enemy. I knew they were never our friend, and for me the Cold War never ended.

The Left is putting on a show about Russia due to the fake Hillary narrative. It used to be the Communist Left in this country looked up to Russia as a model over U.S. Capitalism.

Old 08-01-2017, 07:08 AM

1,219 posts, read 1,755,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Russia has been our enemy since the end of the second world war,.there's nothing sudden about the issue.
Try since the Bolshevik Revolution. Look up how many thousands of US and British troops were sent to Russia after WWI.

Old 08-01-2017, 07:11 AM

9,639 posts, read 6,017,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marleinie View Post
During the cold war the left, the likes of antifa would have been the ones that made fun of people for being scared of the "red scare" mocked those that were anti-soviet union, complain about all the ways we worked against them. Yet now these same types of people are super anti-russia and want to make everyone believe Russia is a huge threat that we should be against and try to do everything we can to nullify their influence and power. During the cold war they would be against the McCarthy Army hearings of the 50s, now they'd be all for them! Kind of ironic to me.
Always been anti-russia.

Putin undermines the US every opportunity he gets. He realized long ago he cannot win on an open battlefield, so he took the war to the shadows where they've had a lot of success.

The Senate GOP doesn't look kindly on Russia, it's just Trump and some of his more die-hard fans listening to every word he says.

Until Russia gets rid of Putin and brings about real democracy they'll probably always be our foe.

Old 08-01-2017, 09:05 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,896,554 times
I am a moderate Democrat. There are some moderate Republicans whom I could support at present, and there are some whom I supported in the past.

I have relatives of Ukrainian origin and Ukrainian friends. I followed the events on the Kyiv Maidan, and those which followed, very, very closely. I still do.

My relatives are from Mariupol, now about 12 miles away from the battlefront instigated by Russia's illegal invasion and occupation of eastern Ukraine. As of now, my relatives can't go home again. They can't safely visit their friends and old home place.

Over 10,000 Ukrainian civilians have been killed by Russia's attack on Ukraine. Many thousands more have been wounded and/or made homeless. Crimea was stolen, and its citizens treated despicably. Much of the infrastructure of eastern Ukraine has been destroyed by invading Russian troops or troops led and supplied by Russians.

Russia is not our friend, any more than it is Ukraine's friend.

I also remember the Cuban Missile Crisis. I remember making black jokes about the bomb shelter beneath the stage in my high school auditorium, and the emergency food supplies stored there. I was fifteen years old that fall.

I watched the building and downfall of the Berlin Wall. I remember the joy on the faces of the East Berliners when that damnable wall fell. I remember being glad that my elderly father survived to see that wall destroyed and Germany reunited. I had hopes that the Iron Curtain would also be breached.

I had hopes for Glasnost. I was dismayed when those hopes proved short-lived and the deeply entrenched corruption of Soviet Russia survived into the "new era".

Last edited by Ibginnie; 08-10-2017 at 08:37 AM.. Reason: off topic

Old 08-01-2017, 09:41 AM

9,338 posts, read 7,109,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marleinie View Post
Why is the left suddenly now so anti-Russia?.
The left? What in the world are you talking about?! As if the right isn't Anti-Russia?!

Are you not aware that the new Russian sanctions vote was one of most biparsitan we've had in a long time?! The House voted 419-3 for a bill that blocks Trump's ability to weaken Russian sanctions.

REPUBLICAN Congressman Ed Royce "This is a strong, bipartisan bill that will increase the United States' economic and political leverage""

So what's this with "the left" is suddenly anti-Russia? Just about every politician in Washington outside of Trump and every US Intelligence agency is anti-Russia, because Russia interfered with our election process and is trolling our electronic security systems.

Old 08-01-2017, 09:53 AM

15,823 posts, read 12,463,404 times
"Why is the left suddenly now so anti-Russia?"
The answer is strongman Putin who wants to #MRGA (Make Russia Great Again) and regain territory and influence overs SSR and Eastern Bloc countries it lost with the dissolution of the USSR.
Russia today isn't the Russia of the cold war, glastnost, or dissolution. Times, intent, and threats change.

Old 08-01-2017, 10:04 AM

13,898 posts, read 6,443,819 times
I know. During the 2012 election they were colluding with them and presenting a reset button. Now they are the evil empire again. Here's the truth. Anything that they can blame Queen Hillary's loss on is evil. That includes Russia, the EC, American voters and especially Donald Trump.

Old 08-01-2017, 10:07 AM

13,898 posts, read 6,443,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
"Why is the left suddenly now so anti-Russia?"
The answer is strongman Putin who wants to #MRGA (Make Russia Great Again) and regain territory and influence overs SSR and Eastern Bloc countries it lost with the dissolution of the USSR.
Russia today isn't the Russia of the cold war, glastnost, or dissolution. Times, intent, and threats change.
That's rich. When Russia was annexing Crimea while Obama was POTUS, just about everyone on the Left made excuses for it. Then they continued to make excuses while the Dems colluded with them during the 2012 elections. Russia was doing everything you mentioned under Obama's watch then Obama get's caught on hot mic colluding with them while HRC's State Dept. was selling them our Uranium and not a single peep from the peanut gallery.

Old 08-01-2017, 12:49 PM

6,927 posts, read 6,936,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
Speaking as someone who is actually old enough to remember the McCarthy hearings: you must be very young, to harbor so many bizarre misunderstandings.
Either that or deliberate ignorance courtesy the usual suspects - Breitbart, Infowars, and Fox. "The left are all commies - let's bring back the glory days of McCarthyism!"

Whatever.

Old 08-03-2017, 01:44 AM

983 posts, read 738,188 times
Funny thing about all this is, say all of you are right, Russia did interfere by spreading false information. Wouldn't the fact that Americans were so dumb as to believe it all hook line and sinker without question or any fact-checking say a lot more about Americans then Russia?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies