Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2017, 12:21 PM

36,495 posts, read 30,827,524 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by USC MCAT View Post
You think that is the same thing? I don't just lock my doors, I have a camera and alarm system. The Border wall is not even locking anything. Not to mention people are still being smuggles in trucks and under the wall so what is the point.
So your saying if a lock or wall or law cant completely 100% prevent the thing you want to prevent why even bother trying to reduce the likely hood of it happening?
Why bother with gun laws if we cant prevent shootings, why make drugs illegal if we cant prevent overdoses, why have police officers if we cant stop crimes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2017, 12:23 PM

46,943 posts, read 25,964,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
What land are you people living in? The budget for the wall has already been approved.
Except y'know, not. The bill that has Pilgrimsprogress excited is for 1.6 billion, which will provide, oh, 70 miles or so. Enough for a nice photo op, which will keep the yokels in fly-over country happy.

Now, there is one really weird thing - that money doesn't seem to come from Mexico at all, but from you and me. I distinctly seem to recall that there was a promise made about Mexican funding...

Old 08-01-2017, 12:23 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
You mean if all the illegals were registering to vote as Republicans, the Dems would be demanding the wall!
Nah... it's a waste of money.

I don't care how these people vote if they ever become citizens.

Old 08-01-2017, 12:24 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Love Pink Floyd.
If it helps get the real wall built -- I say turn up the volume.
The song opposes walls.

Old 08-01-2017, 12:25 PM

25,554 posts, read 17,256,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
It's improvements to the existing barrier near San Diego, not a new wall. It could have been done years ago but the GOP Congress wouldn't fund it.
Awwwww, how cute.

The Democrats are now pretending the Republicans have been in charge all along. Like, "Obama would have signed it if congress had just sent it to him".

Old 08-01-2017, 12:28 PM

4,750 posts, read 3,564,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
U.S. moves to build barriers on U.S.-Mexico border near San Diego

I say it's a step in the right direction.
Let's take care of the problem areas first.
We're the safest city in the US with over 1 million people in it - - and we live the closest to this supposedly dangerous country.

Republicans are scared of their own shadows - - and would pump twenty bullets into it if it got too close.

Old 08-01-2017, 12:29 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,735,298 times
The plot thickens...

"According to an opinion editorial published in The New Yorker Monday, sources have reported that Gen. John Kelly, the former Homeland Security secretary, now newly-appointed White House chief of staff, may have convinced President Trump to give up on his plans to build a wall on the U.S.-Mexico border."

"Kelly reportedly explained that he had spent a lot of time discussing the matter with the president and advised him that the border could be secured by using sophisticated monitoring technology, air surveillance and fencing."

CLAIM: Gen. Kelly counseled Trump to give up on border wall

Old 08-01-2017, 12:32 PM

5,788 posts, read 5,101,059 times
Yokels love the imaginary wall that will be built. But they don't understand that it's going to be a lot shorter than it needs to be, a lot more useless than it already is, and a lot more US taxpayers funded than it was supposed to be. But they are easily fooled and happy to be winning all the time.....

Old 08-01-2017, 01:00 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,632,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
There is money now but more to come when they do the next budget which I think is due Sept. 30.

Here is how they are using the wall money until then:

According to the resolution, $1,571,239,000 will remain available until September 30, 2020. The bill states that $784,000,000 will go towards funding a 32-mile stretch of “new border bollard fencing in the Rio Grande Valley, Texas.” Another $498,000,000 will be allocated for 28 miles of new bollard levee wall in the Rio Grande Valley. An additional $251,000,000 is set for a 14-mile stretch of secondary fencing in San Diego, California. And a remaining $38,239,000 will be used for planning for border wall construction.
in other words NO real money for the wall, but a few bucks to keep the proles happy and yapping about it.

Trump promised you a wall from coast to coast and that Mexico would pay for it. Instead of thousands of miles of wall you are getting a maybe 50 miles or less than 5% of the promised wall...

at this rate it would take maybe 30 years to get your wall....

Old 08-01-2017, 01:06 PM

62,871 posts, read 29,103,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeo View Post
So Mexico will be sending us a check to pay for the wall? Trump said so countless times. He said it and said it and said it, and he never lies.

The lie is what you are spewing. Trump never said that Mexico will send a check for the wall. There are other ways to make them pay. Don't care anyway. The 700 mile long wall along the most porous areas of our border already approved by congress back in 2006 needs to be built. I'd rather help pay for a $25 billion wall than the $113 billion a year that illegals cost us. Sealing off the porous areas of our border will force illegals to try and enter at more dangerous and difficult areas and the Border Patrol can take care of those areas. As for the wall not working.......

Where U.S.-Mexico border fence is tall, it works

San Diego Fence Provides Lessons in Border Control : NPR
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies