Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2017, 07:26 AM

34,231 posts, read 18,579,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Well, here is the what I've been through. I've met plenty of conservatives who have looked down on me as a Black man. Some liberals might have felt that way, but I've run into more conservatives who have made it known that not much is thought of me. Evidence of it is this. Most of the complaints about Black people have come from conservatives. Now, I am one man, and I'm only talking about what I have seen in my lifetime. From my own experiences, it seems like the people who support affirmative action want minorities and women to succeed. Outside of the minority population, people I've met who seem to highlight achievements by Blacks, Hispanics, and women are often White liberals.

I am sorry you have encountered racism, especially by people who call themselves "conservatives". That is just plain WRONG. I know many conservatives who aren't racist, and I know some minority conservatives. I've seen more racism from those that tout themselves as "liberal", because they seem to dwell on race so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2017, 07:27 AM

9,701 posts, read 5,112,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
No. Chad has a skill that is valued by the university. Sports like football, and basketball make universities a lot of money, and advertise them on a large scale. It's capitalism.
Uh huh... Hockey makes the university a lot of money. Just like golf, water polo, and lacrosse.

Anyway, thanks for proving my point about Conservative hypocrisy. Carry on defending how you want to keep the selective enrollment process that benefit white people and get rid of the ones that benefit black people.

Old 08-02-2017, 07:28 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,823,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
If that is what happens that is what happens.

However, considering that whites and white women have higher than national average ACT/SAT scores and GPAs, I think your predictions is BS fantasy.

So you are a science denier on IQ and genetics and now you are a math denier on basic statistics.

If a group has higher than national average scores --- and affirmative action is taken away...how exactly would that hurt their numbers in college?

If a college says Blacks and Hispanics get a free 50 points on admissions and whites and Asians don't -- how does taking that away hurt whites you statistics denier?

I reject your blatant racism against Asians and whites. I reject your denying science on other threads and now your denial of basic math.
Sad that you are so immature and cannot stick to a subject and are still upset that you did not have a comeback for a thread that took place weeks (probably a month ago). FWIW, it's an honor to me that I got you thinking so much and go under your skin.

In regards to the rest of your post - again, it seems many of you do not realize that standardized test scores are not the primary factor in college admission.

As I just stated in my earlier post - discrimination still occurs based on gender, ethnicty, and today based on being LGBTQ.

Also, fact of the matter is that in the schools in question, that people complain about these AA programs - they admit more white students with lower scores than any other ethnic group. And again, anyone who got into an Ivy League school, is a top notch student. Their average student is WAY above average compared to most public colleges/universities. Also blacks and hispanic representation at private Ivy leagues is SUPER low compared to those of Asians and whites. So they aren't taking away spots from a white or Asian. The white legacy students take away from all groups and the white average student takes away from the Asian. But yet you and others are so focused on the sociological concept of race and how it is so oppressing today for the white man, that you want to put blacks, hispanics and Asians against each other so your average students can take those spots at those colleges, because you know, you are so deserving due to being average, just like Fisher in the Fisher case, who was mad that 42 lower performing white students got into UT versus 2 blacks and 3 hispanics lol. She'd rather all average white kids got in. Other average ethnic kids are not "qualified."

Hell if a black kid got a perfect score on the SAT and you saw them on a college campus you'd think he was not qualified just because he was black.

Funny part about that to me is before AA came into the mix, that black kid with the perfect SAT score wouldn't even be admitted, no matter what score he got or his grades or his community service, because back then, like today, being black is being seen as "unqualified" no matter your credentials or achievements.

17,155 posts, read 12,962,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post
Unfortunately, for the Trump base it always comes back to race.
Exactly. What a waste of taxpayers' money this administration is. All Trump does is Tweet, moan, and complain. And every issue he addresses focuses on helping him in some way. Tax breaks for the rich, avoiding discrimination for white people, allowing immigrants into the country who are just like his family but not others, discrimination against transgender military personnel, preferential treatment of the Christian religion over other religions, etc. . . Trump claims he is uniting America. Total B.S.

6,732 posts, read 5,173,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
So when the Department of Labor releases a report that says that women are a big beneficiary of affirmative action, just ignore that? Pay attention to the guy on the web that just grabs an article about women's participation numbers in a random field bc that's somehow an argument that women are not benefiting?

Black students only make up 1% of the student body at the University of Vermont. I guess that means Blacks don't benefit from AA, right?
Don't engage with that poster. It's just a waste of your time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
So, you're saying that Asians who earn a spot shouldn't get them, because that would be too many Asians?

If so, that's pretty racist.
That's not what that poster is saying.......at all, and I'm sure you'll miss the irony of it.

Quote:
I've thought about this. Affirmative Action hasn't changed the unemployment statistics. Blacks, especially men, still have a higher likelihood of being unemployed after college, even when adjusting for majors. I have personal experience with this. People in my major, and my department in general, that I graduated with, pretty much all of them had jobs quickly, except me and one other Black male.
And there have been numerous studies about names on resumes and callbacks, that have hurt blacks when it comes to seeking employment.

New Study Confirms Depressing Truth About Names And Racial Bias

89,026 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
That makes no sense because it's liberals who feel they can't make it on merit.
Exactly. Witness the recent Hispanic California state education official who said minorities can't learn algebra, so they're dropping it as a required class in community colleges.

Old 08-02-2017, 07:29 AM

3,212 posts, read 1,652,334 times
Quote:
Uh huh... Hockey makes the university a lot of money. Just like golf, water polo, and lacrosse.

Anyway, thanks for proving my point about Conservative hypocrisy. Carry on defending how you want to keep the selective enrollment process that benefit white people and get rid of the ones that benefit black people.
Exactly. The white nationalists want these benifits to continue.

Old 08-02-2017, 07:30 AM

1,085 posts, read 2,233,338 times
LOL, the King of Nepotism is going after Affirmative Action?

Old 08-02-2017, 07:31 AM

34,231 posts, read 18,579,444 times
Quote:

What are you talking about? You make absolutely NO sense. Enrollment should be based on merit, not skin color or gender. Wow.

Old 08-02-2017, 07:31 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,823,172 times
Quote:
I've thought about this. Affirmative Action hasn't changed the unemployment statistics. Blacks, especially men, still have a higher likelihood of being unemployed after college, even when adjusting for majors. I have personal experience with this. People in my major, and my department in general, that I graduated with, pretty much all of them had jobs quickly, except me and one other Black male.
They always want to overlook this and then complain about how blacks take their jobs lol

It is so ridiculous to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies