Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2017, 08:29 AM

72,979 posts, read 62,563,721 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
Do you know what I see? I see the connection between slavery and the fact that there are 40 million black people in this country today. Those black people literally owe their lives to slavery.

Do you wish you'd never been born?
I don't owe my life to slavery. And do you know why this is? Because my ancestors didn't choose to come. You conveniently forget that there are immigrants from the West Indies and Africa who come here because THEY CHOOSE TO COME.

And furthermore, Black Americans went from slavery to nearly a century of Jim Crow racism, being deliberately disenfranchised, and basically treated like second class citizens/subjected to quasi-police state.

I owe my life to those who fought and died to make sure I could get the same rights as any other person in this country. I owe my life to those who went to the streets and demanded equal rights for all. You don't get to say who I owe my life to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2017, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
I am sorry you have encountered racism, especially by people who call themselves "conservatives". That is just plain WRONG. I know many conservatives who aren't racist, and I know some minority conservatives. I've seen more racism from those that tout themselves as "liberal", because they seem to dwell on race so much.
Right is right and wrong is wrong. I just feel that this idea of "liberals are the true racists" is quite incorrect. I base this on what I've experienced in my life. Now, I've been around people who say things like "I'm not racist but......"

As for minority conservatives, I don't know that many. Granted I know conservatives who aren't racist. I was just giving a synopsis of my own experience.

Old 08-02-2017, 08:34 AM

45,676 posts, read 23,997,862 times
I think racists come in all shapes and sizes and political persuasions.

Biggest cause of racism -- ignorance. And ignorance knows no boundaries -- lol.

Old 08-02-2017, 08:36 AM

2,411 posts, read 1,444,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
Do you know what I see? I see the connection between slavery and the fact that there are 40 million black people in this country today. Those black people literally owe their lives to slavery.

Do you wish you'd never been born?
Is this the same country the slaves help make wealthy? Is this the same country who we help make the richest nation in the world? Without us, where would it be?

Yet concerning wishing I was never born, I personally think the topic itself is interesting but has nothing to do with what's being discussed here. I think about existence in terms of humanity, but again that's another topic.

Old 08-02-2017, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
I think racists come in all shapes and sizes and political persuasions.

Biggest cause of racism -- ignorance. And ignorance knows no boundaries -- lol.
True. I've experienced racism from some White persons. I've also experienced it from some Hispanic and South Asian persons as well.

Old 08-02-2017, 08:37 AM

34,228 posts, read 18,565,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Right is right and wrong is wrong. I just feel that this idea of "liberals are the true racists" is quite incorrect. I base this on what I've experienced in my life. Now, I've been around people who say things like "I'm not racist but......"

As for minority conservatives, I don't know that many. Granted I know conservatives who aren't racist. I was just giving a synopsis of my own experience.

Totally understand, and I appreciate your insights. Thanks.

Old 08-02-2017, 08:38 AM

3,930 posts, read 2,096,596 times
I guess it will still ok for mediocre students whose parents are wealthy to buy their way into colleges.

Old 08-02-2017, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Totally understand, and I appreciate your insights. Thanks.
No problem. I disagreed with many things. I'm not saying there aren't racists out there that are liberal. I just know what I deal with around me. I'm wondering what other people are seeing and where they are seeing this.

Old 08-02-2017, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach Sportsfan View Post
I guess it will still ok for mediocre students whose parents are wealthy to buy their way into colleges.
I looked that up. I heard of it, but I didn't know to what extent.

Old 08-02-2017, 08:49 AM

88,979 posts, read 44,788,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
Legacies, sex, and race should be eliminated in the admission process to all colleges. The applications should be blinded to admissions officers in all three categories. Let the chips fall where they may on acceptance of the most qualified candidates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies