Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2017, 09:23 AM

6,421 posts, read 7,661,659 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
I think racists come in all shapes and sizes and political persuasions.

Biggest cause of racism -- ignorance. And ignorance knows no boundaries -- lol.
Exactly, and the schools and colleges aren't racists but do claim a NON-WHITE-BIAS, which isn't racists of course. I guess that makes them feel superior but they are more racist than most because the dems pay them for it.

CA gives illegal aliens free college resulting in qualified citizens being pushed out. Makes one wonder what the collective IQ of the Admissions Dept. is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2017, 09:28 AM

45,676 posts, read 23,994,029 times
This is such a non-issue and is such a small 'problem' if at all.

Why or why don't we focus on TAX REFORM -- lol.

Old 08-02-2017, 09:30 AM

45,676 posts, read 23,994,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
Exactly, and the schools and colleges aren't racists but do claim a NON-WHITE-BIAS, which isn't racists of course. I guess that makes them feel superior but they are more racist than most because the dems pay them for it.

CA gives illegal aliens free college resulting in qualified citizens being pushed out. Makes one wonder what the collective IQ of the Admissions Dept. is.
The schools that have been accused of being too diversified are mainly Ivy League Schools. When was the last time you heard of the University of Tennessee being non-white biased. (totally random example).

It is interesting to go look up the demographics of universities. University of California -- it's not the illegal immigrants that are taking spots

Old 08-02-2017, 09:30 AM

36,856 posts, read 17,350,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
This is such a non-issue and is such a small 'problem' if at all.

Why or why don't we focus on TAX REFORM -- lol.
Taxation is theft and AA is racist.

Not much else to discuss on either issue if you ask me.

Old 08-02-2017, 09:31 AM

36,856 posts, read 17,350,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Exactly! Race-blind merit.
Sounds risky. What if my feelings get hurt? I'm a lowly minority.

Old 08-02-2017, 09:33 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,814,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
ACT: 34-36, among about 8 kids. I do have to qualify that by saying they all took the ACT in 7th grade as part of the Midwest Talent Search at Northwestern University, and were scoring 26-28, even then.

It's unfortunate that you paid so much, and didn't just use the test-prep books.
So did my son lol (did the Duke TIPP program). But I'd rather him take test prep and get as close to the top as possible when it comes to college admission.

People who are aiming for very prestigious institutions will pay for and benefit from the test. Also $3k is not all that much money. I'm a very cheap person and very frugal, but I pay for stuff I want and I wanted a very high score. I'd also been out of school for over 8 years when I took the test and I learn best in a classroom environment, plus the program I took guaranteed a certain percentage (based on your percentile rank on the practice test) and if you didn't get that score within 2 tries, you'd get a refund.

Old 08-02-2017, 09:34 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,596,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post
For once, educate yourself. For once.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/mobile....texas.amp.html

Also, how is AA so racist, when white women benefit from it more than any group?

Many people assume that any black, non-athlete got to that college through AA, even Michelle Obama and her daughters. Read through any AA thread and you'll plainly see what I'm talking about. Most of the time, it's just an excuse for their own failures, like Abby in the link above. Not sure why that's difficult to understand.
The entire thing is based upon identity qualifications.
Totally against the civil rights act.

Old 08-02-2017, 09:35 AM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason3000 View Post
Baseless demonization. No one denies climate change. Anti-vaxxers are most often liberals. It's the vegetarian, non-GMO, yoga types.

Affirmative action hurts everyone. People who have no business being in a certain school, feel like they're not treated as equals, because they're not. What that does to their psychology is not a good thing. What that does to the students who were excluded in favor of less qualified students is not a good thing. It also causes unintended consequences such as frightening drop out rates. Also, many times these students can't compete in difficult majors so they flood sociology, AA studies, social justice, elementary education & social work programs. Upon graduation they earn less due to their choices & that is blamed on racism. I just don't see the upside of AA entrance to colleges, something that by definition is supposed to be merit based.
At least they are getting a college education. Although I don't believe we should have had AA for this many decades, I do think it served a purpose at the time. And many people start out as elementary school teachers, social workers, etc. Something wrong with that? That's what first generation college students often major in. Next generation will have the means to pursue a medical degree if they want to. Or maybe they'll be teachers and social workers if that's what they want. Both are respectable occupations.

Old 08-02-2017, 09:45 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,924,870 times
The majority opinion is that Affirmative Action should go away. The thinking there is that if it means that there is no African American presence on Ivy League campuses... oh well... that's just how the cookie crumbles. Hmmmm. Let's take things to the reductio ad absurdum. Affirmative Action: gone. Yay! Colleges are now free to pursue the students with the greatest financial resources AND the outlier test scores to inflate their already inflated Academic Standards. Will ANY African Americans make the cut? At the Ivy League altitude, probably not. NOT because of lack of ability per se, but... purely the raw percentages; the numbers. Just numbers alone will ensure that there is no chance at all that in a purely competitive, first come, first with the bonafide's and pre-requisites... I don't know... I mean with Afirmative Action there were how many African Americans admitted to Yale Law School last year. 20? Maybe more meaningful... how many African Americans graduated from YLS last year???

That Ivy colleges recruit African American and Latino students and then totally ignore them once they are admitted, only to have to regretfully terminate the relationship before the end of the first semester (but after the demographic profiles are tabulated) is rife throughout Higher Education. The puny numbers of African Americans and Latinos admitted to Higher Education STEM programs could not in anyway be a significant obstacle to the futures of White Americans. But they think it is!!!! Everytime a white applicant is denied entry to the college(s) of their choice it has to be because a black student took the place that was theirs. Unspoken is the outlier representation of Asian students on campuses across America. Even with that, colleges would like to have even more of them. Their representation on college campuses is already more than 5x their percent of the population. It's a heavy lift to make that wash with white applicants. Something will have to give. Guess who?

Top symphony orchestras in America were hiring Asian American string players to such an excess that talented white players almost had no chance. Now as I understand it, auditions for big symphony positions are conducted with the player behind a screen so that the jury cannot make biased judgements on the physical and ethnic characteristics of the candidate. That is what happens when the futures of white Americans are threatened by bias. They push back. When Higher Education in general and Ivy League institutions in particular are free to ignore racial 'quotas' and can stuff their academic programs full of Asian over achievers, I hope this thread will be around to remind some of you that it was predicted that a populist overreach to address a non-existent problem had unintended consequences.

Old 08-02-2017, 09:51 AM

88,971 posts, read 44,780,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
So did my son lol (did the Duke TIPP program). But I'd rather him take test prep and get as close to the top as possible when it comes to college admission.
How are scores of 34-36 out of 36 not close to the top? They're above the 99th percentile.

And if you feel you have to buy your son's college admission, that's your prerogative. But I know for a fact you can use a $15 test prep book to earn those scores.

In which grade did your son take the ACT at TIPP, and what was his score. Is that why you think he needs more tutoring than just the $15 test prep book?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies