Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2017, 04:36 PM

1,640 posts, read 795,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason3000 View Post
What are the results? These inner-city Black students were angry that they'd been given their diplomas and sent off to college, being told they were qualified...

The PC educational & Affirmative Action policies helped no one but well-off, White school administrators & corporate bankers who got to sink their teeth into these unqualified students for loans.
This doesn't make sense. All it sounds like is people getting suckered into spending money on higher education they are not prepared for, not affirmative action. How are these two distinct issues getting conflated?
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbmaise View Post
Minorities frequently wonder why on the job they are viewed more skeptically. It is specifically because of programs of affirmative action that less qualified people are given degrees. That can lead to big consequences when life and death matters are on the line.
They are viewed skeptically by racists. End of story.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbmaise View Post
The University of Michigan, when I attended, created an entire imaginary field of engineering called "Environmental Engineering".
Looks like they still have it.
https://bulletin.engin.umich.edu/courses/cee/
Civil and Environmental Engineering
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason3000 View Post
A Pell Grant covers every single cent of a Community College education + books in the state of Minnesota
No kidding. i think the max is 5-6K/year. That is cheap and it should be. Kids that need to play catch up due to bad high schools should be able to have that option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
Because this is America and not Asia. Who's the most qualified person and best performing, the highest SAT and GPA score from around the world? That doesn't entitle you to be admitted into college or even to be in America in the first place. Aren't Americans entitled to their own institutions? Asians wouldn't want Americans filling up their institutions. They are quiet protectionist so stuff it.
Their own institutions? I don't know if it works that way. In my neck of the woods our research universities have pretty diverse, international faculty and student body. Money streams are diverse as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
Many of them are foreign students or anchor babies. So it's not just Asian Americans filling schools. And no they don't alone get to decide American policy for their own benefit.
In 2016 all 6 American Nobel laureates were Immigrants- foreign born. Given that we should be grateful, not resentful IMO. Good people.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/stuarta.../#78c6c3c36cb6
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2017, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Actually Asian American families are going to be disappointed if they think it's going to help them. They're already generally have to score higher than whites with regards to admissions to the very tippy top schools on tests. What it's likely to do is to codify that trend even more given that it does nothing to take away legacy admissions which benefit disproportionately Anglo whites.
Yes, they do, but why would it get harder? Just straight out racism?

There is not much we can do about legacy admissions.

Quote:
Basically Asians are going to be used as a wedge issue or stalking horse on this with no promise of benefits.

In any case, the statement just says they're going to go after affirmative action programs that supposedly discriminate against whites. Someone doesn't seem to pay attention to the fact that Fisher, Gruttinger, Bakke have affirmed the constitutionality of affirmative action programs, and lawsuits/counter suits will happen to defend such programs.
This seems to be the case.

Old 08-02-2017, 04:53 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,368,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Did you complain about legacies and getting in because somebody's father bought their way in?
Specifically, no.

Probably because rich kids don't go into the criminal justice field (my educational and career choice). I only personally dealt with AA hires that were women and minorities (many of which were poor performers especially the women).

Want it now?

*throws the metaphoric bone in GM's direction

Legacies should not be a part of admission criteria.

Old 08-02-2017, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Specifically, no.

Probably because rich kids don't go into the criminal justice field (my educational and career choice). I only personally dealt with AA hires that were women and minorities (many of which were poor performers especially the women).

Want it now?

*throws the metaphoric bone in GM's direction

Legacies should not be a part of admission criteria.
How did they poorly perform? Were they on drugs?

My late father was a toll collector. He got the job because he knew someone. It was the case for most of his co-workers on the parkway. But, it was one of those things where being qualified was more of a being on time and sober thing than anything else.

Old 08-02-2017, 05:04 PM

3,569 posts, read 2,521,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Actually the high school graduation rate today is over 80%.
College

Old 08-02-2017, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassy Fae View Post
How did they poorly perform? Were they on drugs?
No on drugs. You got drug tested.

There are many careers within the criminal justice field that demand physical strength and emotional toughness that many if not most women can't handle.

You don't need me to explain that to you.

Old 08-02-2017, 05:13 PM

2,678 posts, read 1,701,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
So let me get this straight.

Some whites have a problem with blacks being on welfare.

Yet,when a black person does everything they can to participate in American society,thy still get mad.

So which is it?
I'm waiting for the responses.

Old 08-02-2017, 05:14 PM

18,561 posts, read 7,375,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
LOL on the bold. Jews actually are white lol.
Not in any sense relevant to this conversation. If we're going to have quotas, then Jews need their quota based on their population size, and whites (or gentiles if you prefer) need an appropriate separate quota reserving a proportionate number of seats for themselves.

Old 08-02-2017, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
No on drugs. You got drug tested.

There are many careers within the criminal justice field that demand physical strength and emotional toughness that many if not most women can't handle.

You don't need me to explain that to you.
That makes sense. Although, I thought you mentioned administrative positions that were being inundated with AA hires.

Old 08-02-2017, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassy Fae View Post
That makes sense. Although, I thought you mentioned administrative positions that were being inundated with AA hires.
All government jobs are inundated with AA hires...from my experience anyway.

Even administration positions, depending on how they are classified, can lead you into dealing with harsh content in person or on paper. It's a harsh discipline in most respects.

I was a police dispatcher in a district that classified it as an administrative position.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies