Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2017, 05:39 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,348,473 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by treasurefinder View Post
Hmm they may want to be careful what they wish for. Honestly if all universities based admissions strictly on gpa and test scores, Asians would lock up the majority of the spots at all the prestigious institutions. I'm sure then Whites would start whining about that.

It's funny to me folks are always convinced a black or Hispanic "took" their spots when it comes to college admissions, not another white person.
Actually a lot of white folks do get bugged out at universities with a considerable proportion of Asian students. UC Berkeley, UCLA, MIT, etc. There's probably a reason why even at a major state university like Berkeley, the proportion is going to hover in the 40s for Asians but will not go over 50%.

It's kind of a stereotype that Asian Americans will tend to oppose affirmative action policies but that's not historically true, even with the recent SC5 defeat in CA.

I would also caution Asian Americans who think they're going to have an easier time with admissions if this goes through - that's not necessarily the case - they won't touch legacy admissions (which largely benefits Caucasians) and there's nothing that will keep the top tier institutions from keeping informal "caps" on Asian applicants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2017, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BicoastalAnn View Post
I don't agree legacy is at all fair, but I do agree with this bolded statement. That's why I think AA, if any, needs to be about socio-economic background - or background in general - instead of just race. Race is only one dimension. Let's take 2 students who have a 4.2 GPA and the same number of trophies: one is Ben Carson's kid (or any prominent POC you like) and the other is a white kid who's homeless (true story from when I was a student). Which one worked harder to get those achievements? I'd admit both; if I can't, I'd admit the latter.
Actually, the University of California's Educational Opportunity Program (EOP) does this. Eligibility is based on income levels, family background (e.g. if you're a first generation college student) and whether you're educationally or socialiy disadvantaged. One can be of any ethnicity if you live in California or a Native American from any state. And yes, I know white people who were on the program.

Old 08-03-2017, 05:46 PM

1,640 posts, read 794,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
I would also caution Asian Americans who think they're going to have an easier time with admissions if this goes through - that's not necessarily the case - they won't touch legacy admissions (which largely benefits Caucasians) and there's nothing that will keep the top tier institutions from keeping informal "caps" on Asian applicants.
Why do you think they would do that?

Old 08-03-2017, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassy Fae View Post
Why do you think they would do that?
Perhaps for the same reason they limited the number of Jewish applicants long ago...

Old 08-03-2017, 05:59 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,595,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.usn...%3fcontext=amp

I'm on my phone so I can't quote the parts of the article I would like, but it's a good read on this topic.
Thanks for the link, ATG. Here's another that is more detailed and looks at single years. Looking at data over a ten year period can skew the end result if the gap is
growing, which seems to be the case.

Graduation Rates Rise; Gap Between Black and White Males Grows, Report Says - District Dossier - Education Week

Old 08-03-2017, 06:26 PM

78,332 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Opportunity for intelligent discussion as normal being buried by turd posts.

Old 08-03-2017, 06:47 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,033,394 times
College applications should be changed such that the race of the applicant is unknown, and the admissions policy of all colleges should be color blind and race blind and ethnicity-blind by design and intent.

Anything less is racism and discrimination. College admissions, like immigration admissions, should strictly be merit-based.

Old 08-03-2017, 06:52 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,866,332 times
You can support race-based affirmative action in college admissions but don't try justify it by demonizing and scapegoating another race or group. Be honest. That's just asinine and racist. Different racial/ethnic groups vary in academic ability largely due to 10,000s of years of differential evolution and natural selection.

Old 08-03-2017, 07:00 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,905,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
College applications should be changed such that the race of the applicant is unknown, and the admissions policy of all colleges should be color blind and race blind and ethnicity-blind by design and intent.

Anything less is racism and discrimination. College admissions, like immigration admissions, should strictly be merit-based.
I'm actually totally in favor of that. Also, get rid of nonsense like letting children in for having parents that previously went to the school, or whose parents donated money to the school.

And I hope my fellow white people are OK with being the minority at top-performing schools.

I think AA is the wrong way to go about the problem of underrepresentation in colleges. The better method is to remove race from the equation entirely - provide all children of every single background in this country the means to gain an education. Give every child the opportunities to compete. Invest in every single community the same amount. Some of our educational institutions for our nation's children are absolutely travesties, and it is heart breaking.

Unfortunately, this system does mean people get left behind for now (including white people, by the way) - and that's terrible. I hate to see it. We need to address this problem at a much earlier stage than college, though. It has to be addressed at k-8 and in HS. Otherwise, you're just fighting a losing battle.

Old 08-03-2017, 07:12 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,866,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
And I hope my fellow white people are OK with being the minority at top-performing schools.

But why would they be the minority at top-tier schools. Are they dumber, lazier, smaller in number or more historically oppressed than all other groups? They are already a minority or near minority at top-tier schools. So AA is not benefiting whites and ending would probably benefit them more than hurt. That is until many more academic nerds from Asia immigrate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies