Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2017, 08:42 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,488,173 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post
Yes, I kind of get it.

I met a student who was old enough to be my father in a graduate level class. He decided to come back to school for a change of career. It was a terrific experience to have a mature classmate. He happened to be a cool guy of a different race, but it wasn't his race that made all the difference.

By the way, the University of Tokyo is 99% Asian, but I haven't heard any Japanese complaining how terribly boring it is. In fact, the whole country is perfectly fine without racial diversity.
Do you know all Japanese people... They're people just like us; some people like it the way it is, some don't. There are plenty of Japanese people who emigrate to other countries for that different culture. And they're finally starting to make it easier for non-Japanese people to take up residency there so something must be driving that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2017, 09:00 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,868,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BicoastalAnn View Post
I'm trying to process this sentence... if you are a creative and intelligent race (like let's say asian), diversity is a weakness? Since you're talking about within that race, then you must mean diversity of ideas/interests/backgrounds is a weakness? As far as I know there is no place on earth where there is NO diversity of ideas.
Did you read the sentence preceding the one you bolded? I clearly meant the Japanese would not benefit from racial diversity and it would be weakening. You're saying the same thing I said, that a race is already diverse, but trying to disagree with me. Odd.

Old 08-04-2017, 09:09 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,488,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
Did you read the sentence preceding the one you bolded? I clearly meant the Japanese would not benefit from racial diversity and it would be weakening. You're saying the same thing I said, that a race is already diverse, but trying to disagree with me. Odd.
I didn't disagree with you.. I literally said "I am trying to understand this sentence." You used the word diversity to interchangeably reference 2 different things - race and ideas - so it was confusing as stated.

Why not let the Japanese decide what's weakening... they seem to be opening up to diversity a lot more. And even in the example of University of Tokyo... take a look at their "discover our people" page: if that's not trying to attract diversity, IDK what is. No one is actually Japanese!

Old 08-04-2017, 09:15 PM

2,919 posts, read 2,578,964 times
Default Some are not able to handle it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason3000 View Post
Which is partly why the college drop out rate is so high for Black students & graduation rates so low.

I read an interesting article in the local paper where Black students (poor Black students more specifically) were angry with the local public high schools for letting them graduate unprepared.

Pre-graduation testing has been eliminated to raise graduation rates for Black students. Discipline has virtually been eliminated for Black students. Homework has been eliminated or virtually eliminated in order to give the appearance of equality & help poor Black graduate. Entrance requirements to college have been relaxed to let unqualified Black students in.

What are the results? These inner-city Black students were angry that they'd been given their diplomas and sent off to college, being told they were qualified. Once on campus, they had to do placement tests and the average Black student from our school district was 2.5 years away from ever earning a college credit that counted towards graduation. While the other students took their Freshmen & Sophomore requirements, the Black inner city kids were stuck taking remedial classes. They were also required to turn in homework now, study for tests & behave themselves. They became frustrated, embarrassed & eventually far too many dropped out because they saw it as hopeless. Now, they've dropped out, have student loan debt they can never repay, have no degree & no real job prospects.

The PC educational & Affirmative Action policies helped no one but well-off, White school administrators & corporate bankers who got to sink their teeth into these unqualified students for loans.
A government publication dated March 2016 lists Black American population age 25 years or older with a Bachelor's degree is 22% and with a post-graduate degree is 8.2% according to census.gov Educational Attainment download in the USA as of 2015. Blacks make up 13.2% of the US population and with 30% of them age 25 or older having a college degree, I'd say we're during dang well considering everything that we have to endure and/or overcome to obtain a real education.

Do you have stats for how many college students drop out versus the number that enroll? I ask because I'm aware that there's always a sizeable number from any race who drop out for various reasons. The end of the semester in a class is considerably smaller than when school first began at most colleges/universities, even community colleges.

I also admit that many Black students are not only academically UNprepared because of their mediocre high schools and lack of being in an environment of high achievers, but add to that they're emotionally unprepared for the cultural isolation that comes with being educated in predominately White insitutions of higher education. Black people are often in a tenuous position.

Attending a White college/university means being completely immersed in White culture (everything from A-Z including binge drinking/getting drunk/drinking games which is a large part of White college culture for both genders) to an extent that is completely overwhelming and disconcerting unless the student plays sports football/basketball - then they're around other Black students and can re-center.

On top of the typical angst a young person experiences going to college, a Black person has to be even stronger to endure to the end because throughout their college career many times they will be the only ONE BLACK in class. They're fortunate when there are 2-3 of them in a class. They're always the "other" and the only time real relevance as to their thoughts or opinion is sought or listened to is when these topics come up: dancing and hiphop, racial unrest and riots, or Black American social problems.

Since your culmination of post appears to hint that you're against AA not only because a some disgruntled inner city kids, in your area, were scholastically unprepared for college but because in general all or the majority of Black students who got into college did so because of 1) AA policies and 2) those same students then dropped out because they couldn't handle it academically, I wonder if you have credible data to back this up? Or, is your evidence empiricall?

Do you believe that there are Whites who didn't get accepted into any college because the number of Blacks students admitted were so high that it pushed White applicants out?

Old 08-04-2017, 09:22 PM

Default Wrong when it isn't benefitting them

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Then you should also complain when White women benefit from affirmative action. I will take it serious when people complain about EVERYBODY who benefits from AA, legacies, and having someone buy their way into acceptance.
Yes, racism and sexism is wrong but they only have a problem with it when it isn't benefitting them. That's why there have been no White voices raised in outrage about how many WW have benefitted from Affirmative Action. Bottom line, it benefitted a WHITE person so the Whites who complain about AA don't have a problem with that. When it benefits Blacks, then they have a problem. Exhibit As are all over this thread.

Inquiring minds wonder is narcissism a result of nature or nurture?

Old 08-04-2017, 09:42 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,868,047 times
Plenty of people have complained about women receiving AA. White and Asian women on an individual basis benefit from AA the least and black women the most when you look at merit based measures. White and Asian women have been passed over for another AA recipient.

Old 08-04-2017, 09:50 PM

5,097 posts, read 2,312,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Amen to that!

I'm pretty sure you're aware of having to be "twice as good" if you're Black. It's totally at variance of these White people lambasting Affirmative Action as lowering standards. Aw, c'mon now.
What do you people think we're talking about? We're talking about affirmative action in university admissions. Which means that black (and hispanic, for whatever reason) people are admitted to universities with lower test scores and academic credentials than a white or Asian person would need in order to be admitted to that school. Which means that black people are held to a lower standard. That's the situation, plain and simple.

Old 08-04-2017, 10:00 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,598,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klassyhk View Post
Yes, racism and sexism is wrong but they only have a problem with it when it isn't benefitting them. That's why there have been no White voices raised in outrage about how many WW have benefitted from Affirmative Action. Bottom line, it benefitted a WHITE person so the Whites who complain about AA don't have a problem with that. When it benefits Blacks, then they have a problem. Exhibit As are all over this thread.

Inquiring minds wonder is narcissism a result of nature or nurture?

You didn't read the thread - that much is clear.

You really should. You're stereotyping an entire race based on a few - something you would excoriate a white person for doing.

Old 08-04-2017, 10:28 PM

Default Were the majority of these students Black Afffirm-action recipients?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbmaise View Post
. Something like 220 started as freshman the program and only 79 made it to senior year.
Just curious, what would you say was the racial makeup of the freshman? Of the 79 that made it to senior year?

Old 08-04-2017, 10:33 PM

1,640 posts, read 794,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
Plenty of people have complained about women receiving AA. White and Asian women on an individual basis benefit from AA the least and black women the most when you look at merit based measures. White and Asian women have been passed over for another AA recipient.
I posted a study a few pages back addressing white women and AA. There's a lot of misinformation out there. White women have made great strides in the last decades and have found success. The study shows that white women did not benefit from AA activity, but access to higher education (not Ivy, just higher education) and opportunity was critical. Access and opportunity are large umbrella terms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies