Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2017, 06:34 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,159,824 times

Advertisements

We don't sever parental rights fast enough sometimes. Family reunification sometimes results in destroyed lives.
Quote:
The child was born with methamphetamine in her system and was in the custody of tribal social services most of her life before Attson regained custody about two months before her daughter was killed, prosecutors said.

Arizona mom who left child in desert to die gets 20 years | Daily Mail Online
Unfortunately, we know from hindsight this was definitely one of those cases.

Old 08-02-2017, 08:10 AM

25,961 posts, read 22,120,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
Why was a child given back to a mother who was on meth? If a child was taken from her born while the mother was doing meth someone else was at fault as well.
Because the system, under much criticism from the public, attempts to reunite the children with their birth mother/father/family. I have a friend in AZ that does foster care and has adopted a few kids out of the system. It is heartbreaking to her to see the kids have to go back, only to arrive again when something goes wrong in their birth home. AZ can be very rough, we spent 6 years there and the stories were devastating!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
I don't understand. If she didn't want the kid, she could've just as easily surrendered her child to the state.
The state tends to volunteer to work with them to keep the kids in the home. Haven't you heard people say the state steals children? There are people who would rather see their child dead than have someone else raise them, think about abortion, they too could have surrendered the child to the state and spared a life.

Honestly, the foster homes can be as bad and the kids remain in foster care for years while they wait for these parents to get their acts together. You end up with a child with a lot of problems having been moved from home to home while the parent was given time to get their act together. The best shot for the kids is fost/adopt where the foster parent takes the child with the hope that they will adopt eventually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
We don't sever parental rights fast enough sometimes. Family reunification sometimes results in destroyed lives.

Unfortunately, we know from hindsight this was definitely one of those cases.
Family reunification is the top priority now, and it isn't working for the kids involved. https://extranet.azdes.gov/dcyfpolic...nification.htm

When we were in AZ, there was a couple that had 4 kids removed from their home. She had another baby, that baby was eaten by their dog. I am serious, it just made me ill to hear the story. I made friends online with someone in the UK, she had 3 kids taken away (she had mental health issues and some bad stuff went down), she became pregnant again and the babies were taken by whatever entity does it in the UK where she was from the hospital and placed with a family. In her case, she understood it was best for the babies and her children despite how much she loved them and would have loved to been competent enough to parent them.

All too often with cases where the kids end up dead, the "boyfriend" didn't want the kids around, so the mother just gets rid of them. I have read several cases like that.

Being an "eye for an eye" type person, should it have been legal and they needed someone to volunteer to push this woman, tied and bound, into the desert, I would have done it for free! Heck, I might have paid for the opportunity!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2017, 09:01 AM

78,417 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikJac View Post
But within 20 years much can happen in prison, and at some point, prison staff may forget to separate her from other prisoners.
While that happens in mens prisons somewhat frequently I'm not sure I've ever heard female prisoners killing another inmate for something like a crime against a kid.

Old 08-02-2017, 09:47 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,140,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
The state tends to volunteer to work with them to keep the kids in the home. Haven't you heard people say the state steals children? There are people who would rather see their child dead than have someone else raise them, think about abortion, they too could have surrendered the child to the state and spared a life.

Honestly, the foster homes can be as bad and the kids remain in foster care for years while they wait for these parents to get their acts together. You end up with a child with a lot of problems having been moved from home to home while the parent was given time to get their act together. The best shot for the kids is fost/adopt where the foster parent takes the child with the hope that they will adopt eventually.
I could at least understand abortion, if they didn't want to face the alternative of letting their body be ravaged for 9months and then face extreme physical agony delivering the child + the after effects, some of which can be debilitating.

Not that I personally approve of it, but at least I can see why they'd abort, provided it's early enough in the pregnancy.

But what this monster did...there is absolutely no drawback whatsoever to driving to the nearest social services office and handing them the kid.

Foster care is not up to par, but it's certainly better than burning to death in a desert! I just don't believe that "I don't want the state takin muh child" is the real reason.

Old 08-02-2017, 09:51 AM

33,571 posts, read 18,161,091 times
It is the me generation without God.

Old 08-02-2017, 10:52 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,140,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
It is the me generation without God.
If someone needs G-d to tell them to not throw their own baby out into the desert to die, then they shouldn't be allowed to breed.

Old 08-02-2017, 01:12 PM

1,235 posts, read 732,416 times
Wouldn't this thread be better suited in current events? What's political about this?

Old 08-02-2017, 07:52 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,865,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debnor View Post

Very horrible and tragic. But it's nice that in this rare case a woman actually gets a decent amount of time in prison for doing something horrific.
She wasn't thinking. All she had to do was go through the training to become a cop and shoot the kid in the back. Two years tops.

Old 05-27-2018, 05:01 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,583,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debnor View Post

Very horrible and tragic. But it's nice that in this rare case a woman actually gets a decent amount of time in prison for doing something horrific.

This happened in Arizona , but in California all she would have to do is drop the 17 month old toddler off at a " Fire Station " and not even face 20 seconds in State Prison.

Old 05-27-2018, 05:06 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,527,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
This happened in Arizona , but in California all she would have to do is drop the 17 month old toddler off at a " Fire Station " and not even face 20 seconds in State Prison.
Why should she ~ if the baby lives by being dropped off at the fire station?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies