Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2017, 01:04 PM

30 posts, read 53,283 times

Advertisements

I'm pretty ignorant about politics, so bare with me if my question seems stupid. I don't think we should do a military strike on North Korea. That would kill thousands if not millions. I do think we need to do something to target that regime (and kill Kim if necessary). What would the consequences be if that happened?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2017, 01:08 PM

34,230 posts, read 18,571,948 times
Well first it would create a power vacuum, and like Sadam, and Khaddaffi, the next government, or person may be worse. I wouldn't take him out, and I wouldn't do a first strike. I would continue to pressure the Chinese to reign him in. It has worked before.

Old 08-02-2017, 01:10 PM

817 posts, read 752,818 times
Thanks to the weakening of America, due to liberal policies, no one has the stomach to go in and wipe out Ding Dong Ill and all his little commie cohorts anymore. So here we sit, while they mock us.

Old 08-02-2017, 01:11 PM

29,466 posts, read 14,639,119 times
As good as that may sound, it would only martyr him and create more hatred towards us.

Old 08-02-2017, 01:28 PM

1,304 posts, read 1,093,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Charger View Post
Thanks to the weakening of America, due to liberal policies, no one has the stomach to go in and wipe out Ding Dong Ill and all his little commie cohorts anymore. So here we sit, while they mock us.
I'm going to guess, based on your user name and reference to "commies," that you're one of those cranky, nostalgic for the 50s, boomer-types. If so, please just stop. You and your ilk have made a mess of enough stuff to keep my generation, and those who follow me, busy cleaning up after you for a long, long, long time.

In regards to the OP, going in to "wipe out" the leadership in NK would, as others have mentioned, create a power vacuum. Not to mention, make an enormous humanitarian crisis for our ally, South Korea, and our largest trading partner, China. In short, it's a bad idea.

Old 08-02-2017, 01:29 PM

46,946 posts, read 25,979,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AwesomeTravel View Post
What would the consequences be if that happened?
Anyone able to predict that should be employed in a national security advisory role.

What would happen? Power vacuum, for sure. Inside of North Korea, members of the privileged class would be getting at each others' throats to see who ends up on top. Some military faction is the most likely to end up on top.

Problem is, who can they align with? Reunification will essentially be South Korea taking over, that's not in the interest of a new North Korean power structure. Also, China would hate having a border on South Korea.

On the other hand, China doesn't want a loose(r) cannon on their border, either. If things get out of hand, China is likely to step in and try to keep the lid on, by installing a suitable puppet.

And on the third hand, North Korea is a seriously toxic asset. The population seems successfully brainwashed, the infrastructure would have to be rebuilt from "tools to make the tools to make the tools" level, it'll be decades of deprogramming before the country is workable. The German reunification will be a cakewalk in comparison.

There's little in North Korea worth having and a huge price tag to get at it.

Old 08-02-2017, 01:30 PM

46,946 posts, read 25,979,166 times
Quote:
Could you not? We're trying to have an adult conversation here.

Old 08-02-2017, 01:32 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,870,334 times
Why doesn't South Korea, Japan, China, Asia and the rest of the world do something about removing Kim Jong UN?

Old 08-02-2017, 01:34 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,373,658 times
Quote:

And WHAT are you doing besides sitting?

Old 08-02-2017, 01:35 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,373,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AwesomeTravel View Post
I'm pretty ignorant about politics, so bare with me if my question seems stupid. I don't think we should do a military strike on North Korea. That would kill thousands if not millions. I do think we need to do something to target that regime (and kill Kim if necessary). What would the consequences be if that happened?
And the magical plan to take down a closely guarded man in an isolated country without a military strike would be?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies