Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2017, 07:55 PM

3,930 posts, read 2,097,931 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
My solution? Less legal immigration and no illegal immigration.

Your Ponzi scheme isn't going to work as all Ponzi schemes fail.

How did old folks fare before SS? Many kept working or their families took care of them.

You still believe that we have unlimited buildable land and potable water? Do you know that there are people on Indian reservations that have to have water trucked in for them? And even then, the water they get isn't enough.

And, yes, you are cheering for overpopulation.
There was a reason programs like social security and Medicare were created. Everything was not all wonderful in those old days.

As for conservation,funny because I don't hear any so called conservative worried about our environment or our water quality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2017, 07:56 PM

3,615 posts, read 2,330,890 times
Quote:
So. you think that decreasing the population is somehow a bad thing? Oh, wait! I forgot! You think we have unlimited buildable land and potable water

Increasing the population is not the answer.

What happened to you liberals? Back in the 60s and 70s, your ilk was all about ZPG. Some liberals were so worried about overpopulating the earth that they chose not to have kids. Liberals once worried about the effect that overpopulation would have on the environment and whether or not there would be enough food to feed everybody.

Today's liberals have done a total 180 and are now cheering for overpopulation. It just boggles the mind. SMH.

Miller's presentation was great! There was no PC BS involved---is that what bothered you? Well, too darn bad
Liberals and democrats used to be pro working class until some people thought wrongly that
"Obama coalition " and the browning of America was the future and they didn't need those votes to win. This was quite recently .

In 2005, a left-leaning blogger wrote, “Illegal immigration wreaks havoc economically, socially, and culturally; makes a mockery of the rule of law; and is disgraceful just on basic fairness grounds alone.”

In 2006, a liberal columnist wrote that “immigration reduces the wages of domestic workers who compete with immigrants” and that “the fiscal burden of low-wage immigrants is also pretty clear.” His conclusion: “We’ll need to reduce the inflow of low-skill immigrants.”

That same year, a Democratic senator wrote, “When I see Mexican flags waved at proimmigration demonstrations, I sometimes feel a flush of patriotic resentment. When I’m forced to use a translator to communicate with the guy fixing my car, I feel a certain frustration.”

The blogger was Glenn Greenwald. The columnist was Paul Krugman. The senator was Barack Obama.

Old 08-02-2017, 07:58 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach Sportsfan View Post
There was a reason programs like social security and Medicare were created. Everything was not all wonderful in those old days.

As for conservation,funny because I don't hear any so called conservative worried about our environment or our water quality.
I'm very concerned about the environment and water quality.

I know that the greater our population, the worse it will get.

Old 08-02-2017, 07:58 PM

22,472 posts, read 11,998,943 times
Quote:

And libs did a 180 on this issue as I explained up thread.

I never said that everything was wonderful in the old days That said, it was true that families took care of their elderly members.

You're basically saying "the heck with the environment, lets keep adding millions more to our population---millions who are unskilled and functionally illiterate and will expect welfare to take care of them as they age. And when they age, no problem---bring in millions more!"

Old 08-02-2017, 08:01 PM

22,472 posts, read 11,998,943 times
floridanative10 --- Excellent post!(#115) Wish I could rep you again but I ran out of rep.

Old 08-02-2017, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
I'm very concerned about the environment and water quality.

I know that the greater our population, the worse it will get.
Absolutely, but the question becomes how do we fix the current trend of our aging population. So there are steps that need to be taken to deal with that. Unfortunately those cant be done overnight.

So as we have more Americans exiting the job market than enter it. How do fix that?

Old 08-02-2017, 08:03 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times
Quote:
Absolutely, but the question becomes how do we fix the current trend of our aging population. So there are steps that need to be taken to deal with that. Unfortunately those can be done overnight.

So as we have more Americans exiting the job market than enter it. How do fix that?
Drastic reductions in government spending. Encourage children to help parents. Encourage saving by reducing the penalties for doing so. Etc.

Is your answer a Ponzi Scheme that makes the situation continue to get worse and harder to fix?

Old 08-02-2017, 08:06 PM

Quote:
And libs did a 180 on this issue as I explained up thread.

I never said that everything was wonderful in the old days That said, it was true that families took care of their elderly members.

You're basically saying "the heck with the environment, lets keep adding millions more to our population---millions who are unskilled and functionally illiterate and will expect welfare to take care of them as they age. And when they age, no problem---bring in millions more!"
I never said screw the environment. I posted facts about a real issue of our aging population. In which we will have more Americans leaving the working environment than will enter it.

How do you solve that problem?

If your answer is get rid of SS and Medicare. that would be political suicide for any politician. That also doesn't solve the facts that there will be more demands for services by retirees and less workers to produce and I'm not just talking about SS and Medicare contributions

Old 08-02-2017, 08:06 PM

3,615 posts, read 2,330,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
That is a good thing, only because it means if the 1 million who come in all work, then you take 2.6 million retirees permanently off social security and Medicare and have 1 million more people paying in. Ever think of that? Legal immigrants don't get let in to be on the dole......
Yes they do . It's an enormous burden on schools ,hospitals ,prisons . Miller said today 50% . That's around the number I have always seen

"In 2012, 51 percent of households headed by an immigrant (legal or illegal) reported that they used at least one welfare program during the year.. Welfare in this study includes Medicaid and cash, food, and housing programs.

Welfare use is high for both new arrivals and well-established immigrants. Of households headed by immigrants who have been in the country for more than two decades, 48 percent access welfare."

https://cis.org/Report/Welfare-Use-I...ive-Households

Old 08-02-2017, 08:09 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,356,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUNNDFRNT View Post
I like it. I think it's a huge miscalculation in trumps part. So far the tactic has been clear anytime trump needs a booster shot they go to the populist/semi white nationalist rhetoric that got him elected. Certainly is why a lot of people voted for him. He ignored them for while after he got his ass handed to him on the travel ban, he layed off for a while and concentrated on your usual conservative kleptopolitics, but then he messed with sessions and got his hand slapped by breibart and company. So he went back to the well, but at this time I think his relationship with that gop is an all time low. This forces the gop to show their cards are they going to double down with Trump or are they going to remember 2012. The gop demographic problem didn't go away, its a gamble supporting this bill can really hurt them in a post trump political landscape. Is what we are seeing a moment in time or a shift in us politics. This is the good stuff if I was a gambling man I dont see how I would bet on the bill passing the Senate. If Trump can't get this bill through then what good is he to Bannon.
Exactly right. Trump is feeling the heat from the Russiagate investigation, the chaos in his office, and losing out on the Congressional vote to repeal Obamacare. So he's lashing out in a predictable way.

It's highly unlikely that this is going to get through Congress.

Neither will his declaration about going after colleges for affirmative action (yet another sop to his white base) go anywhere either, given that it is settled law that has been affirmed by several Supreme Court decisions over 40 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies