Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2017, 10:16 PM

5,993 posts, read 3,732,293 times

Advertisements

Who doesn't want to be accepted? It's just human nature.

Old 08-04-2017, 10:51 PM

37,131 posts, read 42,196,846 times
I think it's odd that some people think this issue "doesn't effect anyone" except transgendered people so everyone should just mind their own business. If it didn't effect me I wouldn't have anything to say on the matter but it does, it effects society in a big way and there really is no getting away from it so unless you expect us to close our eyes and ears and never look at tv, read magazines, or expect women only in the women's changing room you're lying to yourselves about it not effecting anyone.

I honest to god with I didn't have to think about it but I do. So does everyone else, including preschool children.

Old 08-04-2017, 10:56 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,528,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I think it's odd that some people think this issue "doesn't effect anyone" except transgendered people so everyone should just mind their own business. If it didn't effect me I wouldn't have anything to say on the matter but it does, it effects society in a big way and there really is no getting away from it so unless you expect us to close our eyes and ears and never look at tv, read magazines, or expect women only in the women's changing room you're lying to yourselves about it not effecting anyone.
How exactly are you affected?

Do you frequent stores that have open communal dressing rooms with no privacy walls or curtains? If so, that's easily fixed, don't shop there. (I found it interesting when Kohl's switched to gender-neutral dressing rooms a few years ago. It's not a transgender issue but I expected more blowback about the willy-nilly of not designating them men's or women's. Everyone seems ok with it though.)

That you or anyone might be adversely affected by reading magazines and watching tv shows - that you freely choose to read and watch - seems ludicrous to say the least. Please explain how that works.

Old 08-04-2017, 11:09 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,245,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post

I honest to god with I didn't have to think about it but I do. So does everyone else, including preschool children.
What’s to think about if you’re not transgender?

Old 08-04-2017, 11:20 PM

14,768 posts, read 8,099,433 times
Quote:
Why Do Transgenders Want So Badly To Be Accepted....
I don't think it's odd at all that any human wants to be Accepted, and not judged...

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
No, I go to bed before that lol They get the last word in. What I will say is that we should accept all of god's children and not judge. If you believe in god then he is the judge....not any of us
This.
I have a hard time understanding why people want to judge or hate other people.

Old 08-04-2017, 11:27 PM

1,235 posts, read 731,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dog8food View Post
...If they refused to accept their own initial gender?
Um, well for starters, could it be that they're human and just want to be treated as such?

Old 08-04-2017, 11:29 PM

2,407 posts, read 1,504,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazee Cat Lady View Post
I don't think it's odd at all that any human wants to be Accepted, and not judged...

This.
I have a hard time understanding why people want to judge or hate other people.
A lot of people fall for this general mushy stuff about god. "God's children" is a misnomer. According to the Bible, everyone is God's creation, but only those who fully accept who His son is, are God's adopted children.

Otherwise, go ahead and make up the god you want. Seems to be popular these days, anyway.

Old 08-04-2017, 11:41 PM

14,768 posts, read 8,099,433 times
Quote:
Love is patient, love is Kind.
It does not envy, it does not boast, it is
not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is
not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it
keeps no record of wrongs.
I Corinthians 13: 4-5
Hatred Stirs up conflict, but love
covers all wrongs.
Proverbs 10 :12

Old 08-04-2017, 11:50 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,528,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dog8food View Post
A lot of people fall for this general mushy stuff about god.
<raising and waving hand, way high>
Me! Me! That would be me! God loves me and you and Trump and Clinton and Putin and everyone. Equally. He loves us all equally. That's some amazing mushy stuff right there.

Old 08-05-2017, 04:17 AM

6,855 posts, read 2,844,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
The problem with this - is that, as you know (and have noted) the world sux....and that is not just for trans people. All of the things you mention are regular avenues for discrimination or favoritism (or nepotism, etc.) - and no amount of laws will change that. Economics does tend to move the needle a bit (look at Jenner) so if you have good skills and are somewhat wealthy you get a better shake...again, true for most everyone in our society.
Yeah, we all get the short end of the stick at some time or another. Trans people are born with a much shorter stick than most though.

Quote:
Let me tell you a little story - just because I have so many of them.

I love stories! I love hearing, and learning from others.

Quote:
We needed a new office manager in our small retail shop. So, we placed an ad and a number of females applied. Our business was VERY casual and we all joked around a lot (chemistry), but not towel snapping frat boys either. My wife and other women have worked there and things were OK (although that is another story - customers tended to believe males more when it comes to certain technical things!)....
I know what you mean. I love environments like that. Laid back and fun I mean.

Quote:
I set things up so 3 of us would do a quick interview with the prospects. The first prospect walks in and she was flat-out beautiful. After she left we all agreed the chemistry probably would not work. It was a small biz and most of us were married...and the setup was such that you'd be very close physically to others.

Another candidate was great. I really liked her - down to earth, capable and with just the right "Jersey Girl" attitude. So, I send in another of the guys for a quick interview and when he comes out I ask him what he thinks. "I'd f**k her" was his answer! Now, before you get down on me, this guy didn't work for me...he was a part time evening sales guy, but we thought that getting different angles on the candidates would be a good idea. After that answer I rethought the process.

Anyway, I ended up hiring the Jersey Girl and I never had a better employee. We still love each other to this day (respect for each others capabilities)....even tho we haven't seen each other for more than a decade.
I'm glad Jersey Girl ended up working out so well for you.

Quote:
Point of the whole thing is - regular people get discriminated against in MANY ways regularly. As a child of the 60's I certainly understand your preaching of peace and love, but the real world isn't always that way.
I hope I didn't come off as preachy. It wasn't my intention. Just promoting tolerance and mutual respect.

Quote:
Back to the issue - again, as others have noted, many of the advocacy groups are quite loud and don't put it into the same terms you do. The perception among some of the public is that the issue is not being "asked" of them, but is being forced down their throats. Perception is everything.
The whole "Accept and love us or you're just a hateful jerk" I actually used to believe that, but then I started talking to people, and really hearing their concerns. I stay away from the advocacy groups. They are largely going about things very much the wrong way. Screaming in someone's face doesn't make them listen to you. It slams the door shut on discussion, and any chance of mutual respect and understanding is gone. If equality isn't equal on both sides, it is not equality. As much as I want people to understand me, I have to be willing to listen and understand them.

Quote:
Heck, black folks in this country have been taking it up the....*** for hundreds of years and people still won't treat them the same as others. Things do shift and I think you have it better in the USA than in most of the world.
Yeah. I realize it could be worse. And I'm fortunate to live in a country who's government isn't actively trying to kill me. And I'm doing ok. But there are some things that we all can improve on to make this a better place for all of us. Me included.

Quote:
Anyway, I feel that - even with the backlash - the shift in thinking is underway. Heck, look at these US Generals standing up for trans troops! You would never have imagined this even 10 years ago.
I was pretty amazed by the Generals' stance on this. That was really good of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies