Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2017, 02:40 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,586,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Wahine View Post
People:

If the particularly harsh tone of the title of this thread wasn't enough to ward off anybody sensitive to the subject of suicide, the first page should have given you a sign of things to come. If the content offends you then stop reading and participating in the thread. Being offended does not afford you a remedy.
So those who disagree should just avoid the thread and not express a different view?

Not trying to shut down free speech, now, are we?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2017, 02:43 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,865,154 times
Quote:
The OP isn't wrong. He just thinks very differently than you do. Ever think of it that way?
Of course the OP is wrong. The individual owns their life, not government. The OP is trying to prevent someone from living their life unencumbered. That's the end game behind the rights of the individual.

Old 08-03-2017, 02:48 PM

16,278 posts, read 10,411,688 times
Quote:
The OP isn't wrong. He just thinks very differently than you do. Ever think of it that way?
Well considering he just called my mother as well as two of my closest friends "weasel's" I stand by my assessment. It was offensive, as was the comment by Bent Bow claiming they are "weak". It wasn't a difference of opinion, they were offensive, ignorant posts and I'm going to speak up about them.

Old 08-03-2017, 02:53 PM

11,027 posts, read 6,507,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
So those who disagree should just avoid the thread and not express a different view?

Not trying to shut down free speech, now, are we?
That's not what I said. At all. My God, you are such a creative little thing. Shutting down free speech? What a huge stretch!

My point is that people offended by the thread title who then go on to not only read the thread, but also complain about it and yet still go on to also participate in it are suckers for punishment and don't deserve apology from the OP for having a different opinion on a topic.

When normal people are truly offended by something they remove themselves from the situation that is unpleasant to them ... they don't proceed to wallow and bathe in it.

Old 08-03-2017, 02:57 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,558,442 times
Quote:
That's not what I said. At all. My God, you are such a creative little thing. Shutting down free speech? What a huge stretch!

My point is that people offended by the thread title who then go on to not only read the thread, but also complain about it and yet still go on to also participate in it are suckers for punishment and don't deserve apology from the OP for having a different opinion on a topic.

When normal people are truly offended by something they remove themselves from the situation that is unpleasant to them ... they don't proceed to wallow and bathe in it.
Wrong. Normal strong people confront the aholes who are being offensive. Why would I ignore such tripe?

Old 08-03-2017, 02:58 PM

39,228 posts, read 27,597,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.7traveler View Post
I never judge anyone who commits suicide. If their existence was so horrible that death was the preferred alternative, than who am I to judge?

It does bother me when someone young kills themselves over a relationship breakup or something that seemingly wasn't that big of deal it the grand scheme of things. It doesn't bother me when the person has fought whatever demons for many, many years and truly gave it the best they had and tried other options. It also doesn't bother me when the person had a terminal diagnosis and chose to end things on their own terms.
The bold, many of this type of suicide is the result of borderline personality disorder.

Old 08-03-2017, 02:59 PM

Quote:

Today's word, sarcasm, is brought to you by Sesame Street, and the letter "S."

Old 08-03-2017, 02:59 PM

11,027 posts, read 6,507,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Of course the OP is wrong. The individual owns their life, not government. The OP is trying to prevent someone from living their life unencumbered. That's the end game behind the rights of the individual.
I personally agree with you. That doesn't make our opinion right and the OP's opinion wrong, however.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Well considering he just called my mother as well as two of my closest friends "weasel's" I stand by my assessment. It was offensive, as was the comment by Bent Bow claiming they are "weak". It wasn't a difference of opinion, they were offensive, ignorant posts and I'm going to speak up about them.
I'm sorry for your loss. I too have been touched by loss by suicide. It's painful, and it leaves people with a wide array of feelings and emotions. Anger and indifference are two common emotions for survivors. I would no more tell them they're wrong for feeling that way then I would tell a sad person that they're wrong for feeling sad.

Suicide affects everyone differently but everyone is entitled to their opinion on the topic. Nobody is right or wrong. I sincerely doubt the OP intended this thread to sting any one person. His/her insensitive nature in addressing the topic is just as valid as anyone hysterical over the topic. He didn't call your mother anything. He gave no name at all to his opinion.

Old 08-03-2017, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Wrong. Normal strong people confront the aholes who are being offensive. Why would I ignore such tripe?
Yes.

Old 08-03-2017, 03:04 PM

1,243 posts, read 1,147,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dog8food View Post
Yes I have, in fact. And they died honorably and selflessly.
In whose opinion, yours or theirs?

Perspective has a crap-ton to do with this. You might try to think of it through the eyes - and mind, heart, and feelings (physical & emotional) - of the dying. It might be hard to watch someone you love go through a painful, debilitating disease that sucks the life out of them, but it is probably much worse from the perspective of the dying. You might have empathy for them, but you aren't the one physically suffering, knowing it'll only get worse until the end - and that's all you have to look forward to until you're still dead.

Not all dying people have the luxury of going quietly.

Selfless? Really? Again, that depends on one's perspective.

If I were dying and the medical care keeping me alive were draining every dime from my family, preventing them from paying the mortgage, the light bill, buy food, etc. - just so I can stay with them for a couple of more months? You call that selfless? This right here is the very definition of SELFISH!!! I'll still die and my family will continue BANKRUPT!!!

You have a different different definition of certain words than the rest of us.

Last edited by Starman71; 08-03-2017 at 03:20 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies