Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2017, 03:34 PM

39,177 posts, read 27,565,006 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
If you don't understand mental illness, it's best to just keep quiet. The average person doesn't pretend to be an expert on cardiology or neurology, but for some reason they feel the need to judge everyone who is depressed.
yep.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2017, 03:34 PM

11,027 posts, read 6,500,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMANDTHOM View Post
I have often mused the age old question of "what comes after physical death?---is there a god--- etc?" Sometimes wondered if suicide isn't the way they seek the answer to the question particularly for those who seemingly have the world awaiting them. It becomes a means to answer a lingering question.

I had a major bout of depression after my dad died.

I was his legal guardian and he was my 82 year old elementary school acting "ol guy". We had a lot of fun together and other days not so fun. Even with this major bout of depression-- the momentary thought of suicide was quickly dispelled enough to get me to the Dr and some meds etc.

It really is baffling.
That's an interesting theory. I can't say that I've wondered the same exact thing myself, but two people that I've known who committed suicide were both practicing Catholics. I spent so much time after their deaths wondering how they held such strong faith in a religion that abhors suicide, only to go out that way. Seeing the reactions from their families and other friends of faith was only more puzzling. Restrained sorrow. Deep anger. Pinched emotions.

It was after a lot of thought that I concluded that that's just how potent the power of depression is. When everything that ever meant anything to somebody is not enough to steer them away from the dark. It takes a long time for many survivors to get that.

Old 08-03-2017, 03:39 PM

11,027 posts, read 6,500,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starman71 View Post
I notice you didn't answer my question....

I notice there was no actual logical, rational, common-sense response to my pointing out the error of your thinking....

So, I guess we all know what that means...

Ironically, the only response to which your post refers is to a tongue-in-cheek statement, a concept that obviously went right over your head.
I didn't answer your question because I assumed it to be rhetorical. I mean ... it had to be. If you are stupid enough to genuinely equate shaming someone for having an unfavorable opinion of an emotionally charged subject such as suicide to correcting a child for swearing, or a dog pooping on your carpet, then chances are that any forward discussion will be fruitless. So far you are proving my theory to be accurate.

Old 08-03-2017, 03:40 PM

26,212 posts, read 19,505,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post

Watch this and tell me you wouldn't want to be put down quickly if this was you.
Wow, I've never seen anything like that before. Damn.

Old 08-03-2017, 03:41 PM

16,260 posts, read 10,388,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Wahine View Post
That's not what I said. At all. My God, you are such a creative little thing. Shutting down free speech? What a huge stretch!

My point is that people offended by the thread title who then go on to not only read the thread, but also complain about it and yet still go on to also participate in it are suckers for punishment and don't deserve apology from the OP for having a different opinion on a topic.

When normal people are truly offended by something they remove themselves from the situation that is unpleasant to them ... they don't proceed to wallow and bathe in it.

I am so sad that people like you have internet access. It's OK to be a controversial and have a different opinion that's what this place is for. But when you cross the line and hit people who have experienced this tragedy personally you go beyond being a bad poster and venture into bad person territory.

And that was me exercising my free speech.

Old 08-03-2017, 03:42 PM

26,212 posts, read 19,505,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
I find the thread title offensive, I have lost loved ones to suicide, & I do not call them weasels, They are still loved ones.
Don't get upset, consider the source first.

Old 08-03-2017, 03:44 PM

12,566 posts, read 10,608,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
I've never suffered from chronic, debilitating depression, so I don't judge those who do. I imagine it's a very painful condition to truly believe that people who love you would be better off if you were dead.
I have and it was not good. I didn't get to the suicidal stage but it crossed my mind several times. I will never call somebody a coward for committing suicide because of depression. I was lucky. I got help and eventually had my wacky thyroid removed which changed everything for me.

I also believe if you are terminally ill and in serious pain you should have the right to die with dignity. It is all about quality of life. If you have no quality of life what is the point of carrying on? You are not taking care of anybody and most likely you become a burden.

Last edited by Timmyy; 08-03-2017 at 04:03 PM..

Old 08-03-2017, 03:50 PM

12,566 posts, read 10,608,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Life is what you make of it. Not what someone else has done, or not done for you.
Remember that.

Weak people, had weak parents.
Very ignorantly stated.

I truly hope you never have to go through mental illness. My guess is you deny it exists.

Old 08-03-2017, 03:50 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,579,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Wahine View Post
This was my thought when I read the OP. He/she would not be the first person that I've seen take such a critical and angry tone on the topic. I have seen people go even further in their grief.
That did not occur to me, and if it's the case, he has my deepest sympathy for his loss.

This is such a hard topic. I think people kill themselves for all kinds of reasons. Sometimes it's illness of the kind that will only get worse, as I spoke of in a previous post. Sometimes I think it's psychological pain that becomes truly unbearable, to the point that even reaching out for help is a mountain too high to climb, and sometimes, I think it is an impulsive act carried out to "get back at" another person. That may be the one that makes me really and truly angry, as opposed to simply sad.

The thing is, I don't think it's very helpful to add to the pain of survivors by calling their lost loved ones names, and it certainly isn't very compassionate to suggest that those who would choose a peaceful death over lingering deterioration of the body and mind, when there is NO HOPE of recovery weak or worse. Believe it or not, I have mixed feelings about assisted suicide. I don't think it should be a widely available option, and I fear that there is lots of room for abuse should it be legalized. But at the same time, I know, if I went the way my mom did as her mind disappeared, that I would not want to live like that.

Old 08-03-2017, 03:52 PM

39,177 posts, read 27,565,006 times
This is called secondary wounds that almost everyone who has lost somebody to suicide has to go through.

There is still a stigma with the word suicide. Selfish, cowards those are the common things to describe a suicide. Many people are ignorant about the subject, so they judge. I don't think they are evil people, nor do I believe they have bad intent, but when it comes to a human life, ignorance is not bliss.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies