Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2017, 05:39 PM

2,407 posts, read 1,495,864 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Wahine View Post
This was concluded as the reason why my friend jumped off a cliff. It was so easy for us to scream WHYYY??? He and his wife were less than 70k in debt. They were young, in their early 30's. The debt was nothing that couldn't have been managed over time. If everyone in C's life knew he was that desperate I'm certain a collection would have been taken that could have eased their burden.

Nothing you can say though can ease the crippling stranglehold of depression. In C's case, he left a wife and two kids with that 70k debt, plus an even more painful lifelong debt of sadness.
The victims of suicide never include the one that commits it... That's the perpetrator.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2017, 05:43 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,685,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
It is called, The Cowards Way Out.
Gotta disagree with you on this one BB. I been resuscitated 3 times followed by 5 months in a Navy hospital.. Now I have a DNR I'm not going through that crap again....

Old 08-03-2017, 05:44 PM

11,906 posts, read 5,542,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Wahine View Post
I'm sorry if you think I'm one of the "indecent" ones.

On this topic I feel it's important to listen to everybody and discount nobody. None of us know what lies in the hearts and minds of another and this topic will net opinions all across the board. Everyone's experience is valid. None of it is indecent.
I do not. Quite the opposite, actually.

Old 08-03-2017, 05:52 PM

11,027 posts, read 6,464,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dog8food View Post
The victims of suicide never include the one that commits it... That's the perpetrator.
I don't think that's entirely true. I think that most survivors of suicide experience some moments of real anger and sometimes even hatred for the person whom it feels "walked away" from them. You must work through that even though it's a long and painful process. Forgiving the person who left you behind is vital for two reasons: it helps us remember them in a more loving and positive light when we let go of our anger, and doing that helps us regain peace in our own life. It's normal to feel angry, but it's not healthy or productive to stay that way.

Old 08-03-2017, 05:53 PM

11,906 posts, read 5,542,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
I'm not suicidal(I'm over that), but everything I said was how I feel.

My "coping mechanism" isn't to imagine that the world is beautiful. Or that it could be beautiful. Rather, I think the world is rather stupid. It has always been stupid, and it always will be stupid. And the future seems bleak. Things are far more likely to get worse, than better.

But it isn't as if my life is hard, I'm not in pain.

The greatest realization I ever made, as it relates to my mental health, was to simply accept the fact that the world sucks, and that there is nothing that can be done about it. I don't expect anything better, so I'm never disappointed.
If that works for you, have at it, and if that outlook causes you no pain, my hat is off to you: you are stronger than I am, or ever wish to be.

Old 08-03-2017, 06:20 PM

18,755 posts, read 18,005,417 times
Quote:
In just the last three years I have watched both my parents die in a hospice. Both had several stokes and both had little or no brain activity when the doctors removed their feeding tubes. From what I have been told; the average 'stay' in the hospice is about three to four days. It is a place that our current medicine sends people to die - it is our form of euthanasia. It's perfectly legal in all states to starve patients to death. Like I said before; the doctors claim that they 'feel' no pain. My mother had a broken hip that they would not treat because of her age and physical condition after the strokes. I watched as she appeared to wince from the pain that she supposedly did not feel.

While my father did not; I know that my mother expressed several times that she wanted a swift and painless death. You claim that people that believe in suicide are weak; but you watch your loved ones die a death that they never wanted and then tell us how weak we are! What is so immoral about asking for a death that we humanely give to our pets? What is so precious about life that we have to live without a brain or in pain? All we ask is for our doctors to allow humans 'animal' rights.

Old 08-03-2017, 06:23 PM

1,229 posts, read 855,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
I honestly would only commit suicide for economic reasons. I refuse to ever end up on the streets, I'd rather be dead than live in absolute poverty
I'm sure you understand by now that if you think/focus about wealth/abundance intensely and in its proper context - you'll never end up living the way you fear the most.

Old 08-03-2017, 06:27 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,052,844 times
Quote:
I think you don't understand suicidal depression at all.

Do you understand that the most powerful instinct that humans are built with is survival? It takes a tremendous amount of pain to overcome that.

No argument that it's a selfish act. But sometimes people just can't take it anymore.

Old 08-03-2017, 06:35 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,810,620 times
I had a case of severe depression due to either a series of infections that eventually affected the brain or the antibiotics that were used to treat the infections. I was not suicidal but if that depression had lasted 6 months instead of 6 weeks I would have been.

At the worst of the depression time would practically stand still. It was difficult driving because my time frame was so off.

Old 08-03-2017, 06:39 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,072,954 times
Quote:
Seems to be on the rise everywhere. Famous people have been doing it, and then silly people tweet things like "everyone has a right to take away their own life, because they never had the choice to enter it."

I think it's despicable. Particularly when there's a family involved, and especially with children. Animals don't even kill themselves out of depression.

And now the loons want to legalize medical suicide because the process of dying is too much for them. Weak.
Don't conflate the act of committing suicide with medically assisted suicide. They aren't the same.

Personally, I don't buy for a second that it's cowardly. Overcoming the instinct of survival is not done lightly. It takes extreme desperation. I wouldn't presume to understand what it would be like to feel that sort of extreme desperation; I'm simply not arrogant enough to do so.

As far as it being their right... you either think people have agency or you don't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies