Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2017, 09:21 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 1 day ago)

27,166 posts, read 13,455,286 times

Advertisements

Suicide rates for doctors are shockingly high, but stigma prevents them from getting help | National Post

Top 11 Professions with Highest Suicide Rates - Mental Health Daily

Nurses more at risk of suicide than any other profession | Daily Mail
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2017, 09:22 AM

7,520 posts, read 2,808,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I have several combat veterans friends (every single one of them was MARSOC) committed suicide. They were not selfish, they were sick.
I edited my post because I am not attempting to be inflammatory. I do think that some of the suicides committed by the very young military enlistees is partly because they have not learned to deal with difficult situations as adults.

Old 08-03-2017, 09:26 AM

1,705 posts, read 538,122 times
Depends on what culture you are in. In some its respected..

Why drain away your families resources when terminal?

Old 08-03-2017, 09:27 AM

39,220 posts, read 27,597,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwood66 View Post
I edited my post because I am not attempting to be inflammatory. I do think that some of the suicides committed by the very young military enlistees is partly because they have not learned to deal with difficult situations as adults.
Some, but not all.

Some committed suicide because of their PTSD. It has nothing to do with dealing with "difficult situation". My friend could tolerate pain, believe me. His leg was blown off, he didn't even cry!

Old 08-03-2017, 09:28 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 1 day ago)

27,166 posts, read 13,455,286 times
Military Vets are not the only Vets with a high suicide rate, whilst dentists are also up there with doctors and of course farmers and socially isolated people also have far higher rates of suicide, as do police officer, ex-military and numerous other professions.

BBC NEWS | Health | Vet suicides outstrip UK average

Veterinary suicide: 'It is my passion and my poison' | Central - ITV News

Suicide in veterinary medicine: Let's talk about it - NCBI - NIH

These people are often very intelligent and hard working, and are certainly not weasels.

Old 08-03-2017, 09:28 AM

3,658 posts, read 2,562,815 times
This is a troll thread. It's still very offensive. I have had a brother and sister commit suicide. It is not joking matter. The carnage they left behind is very real. They both had massive issues and we are left feeling guilty although it was not from a lack of trying. They just saw no way out. I don't think they are cowards. They just didn't have the proper tools to get fixed. They tried though. So if you think they are cowards, what does that make you?

Old 08-03-2017, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Some, but not all.

Some committed suicide because of their PTSD. It has nothing to do with dealing with "difficult situation"
Many long time hardened military veterans have their own view of PTSD and think it is a load of crap perpetuated by people who are weak. This is a very hard line that I don't share at all. People are all different and handle adversity in different ways. I work with veterans from several military groups like Marine Corps League, VFW, etc. and the old gummers have lots of colorful views on some of today's PTSD claims.

Old 08-03-2017, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Some, but not all.

Some committed suicide because of their PTSD. It has nothing to do with dealing with "difficult situation". My friend could tolerate pain, believe me. His leg was blown off, he didn't even cry!
I put the word pain in quotes because I was not talking only about physical pain.

Old 08-03-2017, 09:37 AM

39,220 posts, read 27,597,823 times
Quote:
Many long time hardened military veterans have their own view of PTSD and think it is a load of crap perpetuated by people who are weak. This is a very hard line that I don't share at all. People are all different and handle adversity in different ways.
Quote:
I put the word pain in quotes because I was not talking only about physical pain.
Your posts are load of crap

It is attitude like this preventing veterans to seek help in the first place! One of the symptoms of PTSD can be racing thoughts. PTSD causes anxiety. Anxiety may interfere with calm thinking. ... It is possible to have intrusive thoughts, nightmares and racing thoughts due to trauma and inherited emotional challenges. It has nothing to do with "difficult life situations."

Old 08-03-2017, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Your posts are load of crap

It is attitude like this preventing veterans to seek help in the first place!
WTH? I am trying to say that I agree with you on some of this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies