Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2017, 12:57 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,670,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Just wanted to agree with you. Why would you do more for your dog than you would yourself?

My father languished in a nursing home for three years unable to even sit up on his own. I asked him what he wanted for his birthday (which turned out to be his last birthday) and he answered without hesitating "A gun and one bullet". I wish I could have given him that much. He was beyond ready to leave this world but the law said he had to stay. If I were to learn that someone at the home helped him on his way all I would have to say would be "thank you".
For those with means and interest, if you can get a person to Europe (Switzerland), you can end life with complete dignity.

It takes some money - some courage and a person or two to help.

Heck, for the nursing home money for a couple months you could get a private med-vac jet to take you over there.

Sounds like overkill but it's not IMHO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2017, 12:59 PM

12,566 posts, read 10,614,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dog8food View Post
Seems to be on the rise everywhere. Famous people have been doing it, and then silly people tweet things like "everyone has a right to take away their own life, because they never had the choice to enter it."

I think it's despicable. Particularly when there's a family involved, and especially with children. Animals don't even kill themselves out of depression.

And now the loons want to legalize medical suicide because the process of dying is too much for them. Weak.
Have you ever had long term depression?

Old 08-03-2017, 12:59 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,533,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason3000 View Post
Assisted suicide is something our society should implement immediately. 60% of all gun deaths are suicides in the US. Most of those by the elderly or terminally ill. We should have people go through a psychological evaluation & then help them go out with dignity, on their own terms.

If I had Alzheimers for example, no way would I want to live an extra 20 years. All that would do is drain our bank accounts, leave my family with nothing & create a massive emotional burden on them. I'd much prefer to have a going away party, have all my friends & relatives there, then peacefully exit this body the next day, at home, with professional assistance.
Far better to die peacefully with your loved ones holding your hand than alone by your own hand. I don't know about anyone else but I'd rather be surrounded by the people I love when I exit this world and I'd rather avoid needless suffering for both myself and my family. It's one thing to endure suffering when you'll recover but quite another to endure it when there is no hope.

Old 08-03-2017, 01:01 PM

1,065 posts, read 597,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.7traveler View Post
I never judge anyone who commits suicide. If their existence was so horrible that death was the preferred alternative, than who am I to judge?

It does bother me when someone young kills themselves over a relationship breakup or something that seemingly wasn't that big of deal it the grand scheme of things. It doesn't bother me when the person has fought whatever demons for many, many years and truly gave it the best they had and tried other options. It also doesn't bother me when the person had a terminal diagnosis and chose to end things on their own terms.
Agree with this.

A couple of other observations:

It's not a crime to off oneself, like commit homicide which is a crime so why do we say commit suicide?

People that die by their hand are categorized as selfish sometimes, and I think in most instances, in their pain, they just want to get away from it, nothing more.

Old 08-03-2017, 01:02 PM

39,221 posts, read 27,592,812 times
Those who have mental disorders do not know what it feels like to be "normal". Similarly, those who are "normal" do not know what it feels like to be such a patient.

Naturally, the "normal" guys can't understand how it feels to be in situations when such a person is forced to contemplate suicide, since until the time they haven't been through it, they simply will not be able to understand it.

That's the reason why those attempting suicides (and I'm not talking about attention seekers here) are labelled cowardly.

Can you teach a blind person "color"?

Many, many people are incredibly ignorant about the causes of suicide and prefer having an opinion over having any insight.

Old 08-03-2017, 01:11 PM

5,859 posts, read 3,297,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
Have you ever had long term depression?
My sister has it. I have to be honest its like a funk she cant get out of. Dr's, hospitals and medication. She has a normal life. A husband, two kids and has a great job. It is an illness. On the outside someone would say she is doing great. However she is not! My parents always say they worry about that call in the middle of the night. Its sad.

Old 08-03-2017, 01:15 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,137,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredcop111 View Post
My sister has it. I have to be honest its like a funk she cant get out of. Dr's, hospitals and medication. She has a normal life. A husband, two kids and has a great job. It is an illness. My parents always say they worry about that call in the middle of the night. Its sad.
Exactly. Too often, people forget that mental problems are often physiological. You can't tell someone with rabies to stop being aggressive and expect it to work. That would entail getting the virus out their brain. Same deal with depression or other mental illness. It's usually a neurological chemistry issue that no amount of personal desire or "willpower" can overcome, just as rabies can't be overcome via willpower.

Old 08-03-2017, 01:32 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,585,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Life is what you make of it. Not what someone else has done, or not done for you.
Remember that.

Weak people, had weak parents.
That is probably the cruelest, most offensive single comment I have ever had the displeasure to read on this forum.

Go to a nursing home and visit some people who have lost their minds and identity to advanced dementia, who have become bedridden, incontinent, incapable of recognizing loved ones, and in a constant state of terror and confusion, and tell them how life is "what they make it." Tell it to their spouses and children, too, while you're at it. I would gladly end my life before reaching that state, and believe me, it would not be a selfish act.

Old 08-03-2017, 01:39 PM

18,780 posts, read 18,133,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
That is probably the cruelest, most offensive single comment I have ever had the displeasure to read on this forum.

Go to a nursing home and visit some people who have lost their minds and identity to advanced dementia, who have become bedridden, incontinent, incapable of recognizing loved ones, and in a constant state of terror and confusion, and tell them how life is "what they make it." Tell it to their spouses and children, too, while you're at it. I would gladly end my life before reaching that state, and believe me, it would not be a selfish act.
It isn't only that; it is that the only 'accepted' form of euthanasia is starvation. Our doctors can pull feeding tubes or deny water to these patients that no longer have brain activity; but they cannot give them a quick and painless death. They claim that the patients feel no pain; but they are not in their shoes. We should always have the option, when of sound mind; to request a painless termination at the time when there is no hope. That is the humane thing to do and what we do with our death row inmates and how we treat our beloved pets - if only we could do the same for people!

Old 08-03-2017, 01:47 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,137,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post

Agreed...he calls parents weak, but I have to say, when I read his post, I thanked my lucky stars that I wasn't born with him as my parent. I feel so sorry for his kids if he has any.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies