Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2017, 08:18 AM

5,913 posts, read 3,185,879 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
No. Other then fast food where do you think your food comes from?
California for fruits and veggies. Middle of the country or is it called mid-west?? for processed food stuffs made from corn and soy that is grown on huge corporate farms that are run by people on the coasts.

Old 08-03-2017, 08:20 AM

7,520 posts, read 2,809,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
People in rural areas tend to have tighter-knit communities and know each other far better than people in urban areas. They want to keep it this way. I see nothing wrong with it.

city folks have always made fun of country folks. The way I see it? well, the people who live in the rural areas tend to be much more vocal about their idea of what a good America is because they are united, and thus more ‘patriotic’ openly. The people who live in the urban areas have to at least tolerate a ton of different viewpoints and thus they become more muddled.
I agree with you and could not live in a city to save my life. There are all types in my community and many have moved here to get away from cities. I do think that it goes both ways though and country folk make fun of city dwellers as well.

Old 08-03-2017, 08:20 AM

19,635 posts, read 12,226,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorman View Post
So the cruising the OP is referring to is just driving around aimlessly in a car or on a motorcycle? When was that an actual thing? I honestly have never heard of such a thing and don't know anyone that would actually do it. Is it basically a long commute that you do intentionally with no set destination in mind?
Where are you from? Cruising is very American since the fifties, car culture started in LA. There are songs about it. It is actually growing since the boomers have more free time. What do you do with a custom car you put 60K into, stare at it? Never been on a long drive?...Spontaneous road trip?....

Old 08-03-2017, 08:21 AM

5,993 posts, read 3,733,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
No one here is saying any of that, and some of you are responding to a joke post with insults. Basically it is people making fun of southern and midwestern rural culture really without provocation. It doesn't get us anywhere as a nation to keep doing this.
So you're saying that rural southern and midwestern people don't say similar disparaging things about people who live in cities or who they consider liberal? You sure about that? Be honest.

Old 08-03-2017, 08:22 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Charger View Post
The divide is huge. We need to get back to our rural roots.

You realize our 'roots' are in Philadelphia, right?

Old 08-03-2017, 08:22 AM

7,185 posts, read 3,700,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Yeah my family is from Whiteville/Tabor City.. Tell me another lie, mmkay...

And I live in Montana- mostly a FRONTIER state not country. I moved here from West Virginia.

You folks don't know 'country'. Trust me.
Oh, that's sooo ironic and hilarious, fighting over who is more... "I'm more country than you are, neener neener".

Old 08-03-2017, 08:23 AM

19,758 posts, read 22,666,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Where are you from? Cruising is very American since the fifties, car culture started in LA. There are songs about it. It is actually growing since the boomers have more free time. What do you do with a custom car you put 60K into, stare at it? Never been on a long drive?...Spontaneous road trip?....
Most kids these days don't enjoy that. Not a big thing to do. It kinda died off. Sorta like retail getting kicked in the teeth too. The only kids that enjoy 'cruising' around here are the rednecks with trucks, usually flying a confederate flag. And the majority of other kids (with ambitions beyond the parking lot) laugh at them.

And go on to make money and earn a living.

# So sad!

Old 08-03-2017, 08:23 AM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,630,850 times
Quote:
So the cruising the OP is referring to is just driving around aimlessly in a car or on a motorcycle? When was that an actual thing? I honestly have never heard of such a thing and don't know anyone that would actually do it. Is it basically a long commute that you do intentionally with no set destination in mind?
We have cruised the entire length of the 469 miles of the Blue Ridge Parkway. Don't knock it if you haven't tried it. It is very relaxing. I love to open the windows of the car, peel back the sun roof, turn the radio to the Davidson classical music station and ride through the beautiful trees and mountains. Stop at the Northwest Trading Post for homemade cookies and the Doughton Park Coffee Shop for a vegetable plate or ham biscuits.

Old 08-03-2017, 08:25 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
Quote:
Whaaaaat? Get out.
Never heard of cruising the strip. Never seen it on a movie.
Its what really rural kids do because there isn't much else going on. You cruise with your buddies, stop and park and meet up with other people cruising with their buddies. Its a social event.

Now its older folks cruising in their classics or motorcycle "gangs".
After my gson got his license he got a used Miata (he is 6'4", I hated that car). He met up with a gang of old dudes driving Miatas and they invited him to joined in their 100+ mile cruise, which he did.

Old 08-03-2017, 08:26 AM

2,122 posts, read 3,686,986 times
Quote:
I know plenty of people that enjoy driving, they participate in SCCA racing events, etc.

That is not what the OP meant though, are you saying that a popular hobby in rural areas is to just drive with no destination or purpose in mind? I will admit to being completely ignorant of that type of subculture, which is why I asked when it was a popular thing to do. Are you talking about the Grease drive in burger joint stuff?

I am getting a sense this is something similar to low rider or fast and furious style culture, am I right? Basically hanging out with your car?
I don't know how widespread it is, but every once in awhile I like driving around on some gravel roads just to do something different. If I had something fun to drive, I would probably cruise around in that as well.

So basically you might go drive around for awhile just to get out of the house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies