Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2017, 07:42 AM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,625,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Charger View Post
If you don't live in and participate in rural American culture, how can you even call yourself American? Cold beer, cruising, mud runs, football, that's AMERICA!
I live in the country and have no interest in football, have never had a beer in my life, never done a mud run but I love a Sunday afternoon road trip. Clean living and Christian values is a choice that anybody living anywhere in America can participate in. I do consider clean living and morals a part of my life.

Old 08-03-2017, 07:44 AM

8,224 posts, read 3,496,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Last thing I'd ever wanna be is a hick, hayseed or bumpkin. No thanks.

If you wanna spend your whole life bobbing for apples, entering your prize pig in the fair, using your front lawn as your garage, and inflating the tires on your house....have at it.

If it ain't urbane and cosmopolitan, I want no part of it. While you watch NASCAR, I'm watching Formula One and laughing at you.
My house didn't have wheels... it was 1100sqft on the side of a lake...

I can't watch NASCAR either, too many rule changes...
But I did race stock cars on dirt ovals I've piloted and built pure stocks, pro stocks, piloted a big block sportsman, and a race saver alcohol powered winged sprint car...

I've raced pickups on winding back mountain roads. Miss a corner and it's a long way down to your doom.

Rode quads dirt bikes and snowmobiles from NY into MA and CT.

Kept a couple junk cars in the front yard to beat the assessors for raising property taxes

Can't watch any pro sport. Waste of time to watch a bunch of overpaid athletes play patty cake at the line of scrimage, QBs take a knee or run out of bounds to avoid getting hit. Superbowl only for the commercials, world series if the Yankees make it...
Other than that... nope.

Could find me either in a shop assembling an engine, welding a roll cage up, in the vacant bedroom converted to an office reloading ammo, in the woods chasing white tails or Toms. Or on the river or lake with a boat or jetski running wide open.

Old 08-03-2017, 07:45 AM

19,743 posts, read 22,654,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Charger View Post
If you don't live in and participate in rural American culture, how can you even call yourself American? Cold beer, cruising, mud runs, football, that's AMERICA!
What kind of BS is that?

I played baseball, I like hot dogs and drive Chevrolet's. I even went down to to the levee but the levee was dry, so I had some whiskey and rye and went to Georgetown and listened to some jazz in Blues alley.

They said I was an American..

Old 08-03-2017, 07:46 AM

9,338 posts, read 7,108,703 times
When will people realize that their opinion means nothing to other people? Myself included.

But to make a blanket statement as to "what defines being American" is just...silly.

Old 08-03-2017, 07:46 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,373,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T0103E View Post
Good point on the seafood. Chicago and Milwaukee summers by the lake are great though.

I was almost ready to go to take a job in Chicago once, then I talked to the guy I was thinking about going to work for and the high for the day in February was 11 BELOW! Just couldn't do that to myself, my liquor bill would've bankrupted me. Love the blues clubs, architecture, the Art Institute, the lake, the neighborhoods and ethnic restaurants though, GREAT City!

Old 08-03-2017, 07:48 AM

2,274 posts, read 1,338,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
Right. Because cold beer and football are outlawed in any community with a population greater than 200.

As for cruising, do adults really do that, other than on a ship? Most people I know stopped that nonsense when they were about 17.
I thought that the OP was referring to a cruise ship and was scratching my head trying to figure out why that would be considered American? Apparently that is not what they meant, what is "cruising" outside the context of a ship?

I guess maybe I am too suburban to even understand why I am not a Real American.

Old 08-03-2017, 07:50 AM

2,122 posts, read 3,685,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
I live in the country and have no interest in football, have never had a beer in my life, never done a mud run but I love a Sunday afternoon road trip. Clean living and Christian values is a choice that anybody living anywhere in America can participate in. I do consider clean living and morals a part of my life.
OP has been listening to too many new pop country songs & thinks he knows what rural America is like. What you posted is much closer to how I grew up.

Old 08-03-2017, 07:53 AM
NCN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevdawgg View Post
All those big city urban elitists hate rural America. They think their urban utopias are the best and they insult people living outside it. Just look at the tons of posts by urban dwellers trashing on people living in rural America.
And we laugh at their ignorance every time we read them. During WWII there was rationing all over America. It barely touched my parents because they lived on their 100 acres and had most of what they used right there. About the only things they bought were sugar, salt, coffee, and flour and food flavorings. Sugar was rationed but my dad had several hives of bees that made honey and my uncle made molasses.

Old 08-03-2017, 07:57 AM
NCN

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerTHB View Post
OP has been listening to too many new pop country songs & thinks he knows what rural America is like. What you posted is much closer to how I grew up.
And when we use our car horn it is usually to get an animal out of the road instead of being irritated at another human. So pleasant living where people treat each other with respect.

Old 08-03-2017, 07:59 AM

15,071 posts, read 10,096,890 times
The real American culture is a melting pot of influences from the local people and what they bring with them... that is one of the beauties of this country. There is something for everyone... a place for anyone to call home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies