Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2017, 07:11 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,962,522 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
the only person who doesn't think America is great is tRump.

maga means the country is not great.
I've pointed that out several times and no one else seemed to connect that particular set of dots. The slogan "Make America Great Again" implies that America isn't great already.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2017, 07:19 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,842,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dog8food View Post
So because of my wife's and my work, we travel internationally quite extensively (with a child), staying in different countries for a minimum of 2 months at a time. And we also return. For example, we're currently on our 4th stay in Japan.

Most of the countries we've lived in are first-world, and considered to be in high socio-economic standing (Australia, Canada, China, Japan, New Zealand, U.K., etc). It's one thing to roam around free and easy for kicks and giggles, but as a family with responsibilities, we have found the US to be leaps and bounds more livable than any place we've lived.

You can't just point at one thing like "The food in France is fantastic," or "Japan is so safe." There are so many factors involved, and when taken together, we wouldn't dream of living anywhere else.
Can you be more specific, OP? I'd be interested in hearing some examples from each country you've stayed in that in your estimation makes the US more livable. I'm genuinely curious.

Old 08-04-2017, 07:24 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,842,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
I find it terribly ironic you brag about our freedom in #1, and yet in #3 you would restrict freedom. The identity politics and liberalism you dislike is part of that freedom.
You noticed that, too, huh?

Old 08-04-2017, 07:24 AM

2,407 posts, read 1,505,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
Can you be more specific, OP? I'd be interested in hearing some examples from each country you've stayed in that in your estimation makes the US more livable. I'm genuinely curious.
It would be a pretty big list. I'll work on it.

Old 08-04-2017, 07:25 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,489,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
He's Canadian.

During one of his previous rants (last year, IIRC) another member called him on his anti-American BS, reminding him that his attitude hasn't stopped him from escaping Canadian winters via golf in Florida. He quieted down for a bit after that, which would lead me to think that the person who called him out likely knew whereof he/she spoke.
She made a good point about piling on with personal invective which I ultimately agreed with.

Now I attempt to confine my responses to those threads comparing the U.S. to others while disparaging those others in the process. I guess the rest of the world is supposed to be in total agreement with you comparing yourselves to them with use of insults?

The word "subjects" linked to "guns" and supposed "exceptional freedoms" triggered this one. Factual links proving otherwise are ignored as usual.

I guess Americans are not as great a believer in the freedom of speech thingy as they like to pretend?

I'm not anti America ......I'm anti-boasting-in-error-individual-Americans. There's a difference.

Suck it up buttercups. Your thin skins are noted.

Old 08-04-2017, 07:28 AM

2,407 posts, read 1,505,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
She made a good point about piling on with personal invective which I ultimately agreed with.

Now I attempt to confine my responses to those threads comparing the U.S. to others while disparaging those others in the process. I guess the rest of the world is supposed to be in total agreement with you comparing yourselves to them with use of insults?

The word "subjects" linked to "guns" and supposed "exceptional freedoms" triggered this one. Factual links proving otherwise are ignored as usual.

I guess Americans are not as great a believer in the freedom of speech thingy as they like to pretend?

I'm not anti America ......I'm anti-boasting-in-error-individual-Americans. There's a difference.

Suck it up buttercups. Your thin skins are noted.
Haha. I do enjoy Canadian humor. Just never sure if it's intended.

Old 08-04-2017, 08:09 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,507,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
I guess you and others won't be satisfied until everyone agrees with your circle jerk comparing yourselves to the rest of the planet and using terms disparaging to those others.

You made a good point some time ago and I refrained often from responding as usual but I guess it's total American worship or nothing that will suit.

I posted links in opposition to the supposed "America is the greatest because we've got guns that make us citizens instead of subjects" in realtion to superior freedoms nonsense and here you are once again attempting to shame due to my admitted Florida travel habits?

The rest of us are just supposed to sit idly by while you use us as your backboard for your jump shots?

Mayhaps ou don't remember our little discussion about citizens of all countries having their associated pride?

America is a great country and does not need fools comparing facets of it's greatness to other countries supposed lack of same while those others are enjoying even better scores on any scale you choose to mention.

"Bitter anti-American" is what those who disagree with you are going to be characterized as regardless? So be it. I'll manage.
Thank God Canada has you to protect her and her sparkling image by trolling American forums and seeking out any out-of-line Americans to correct. You're doing your entire country a favor by stamping out foolish American pride here. Healthcare? Freedoms? Gun laws? Our government? Oh BruSan, just let us have it. We deserve it! We think our sh1t doesn't stink and you're just the man we need to put us all in our place.

I just hope you're able to breathe ok while enjoying our sunny coast every winter. It must be so hard for you to spend months here in Florida every year among us stupid, jingoistic, ignorant Americans. You're so brave.

Old 08-04-2017, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Haha. I do enjoy Canadian humor. Just never sure if it's intended.
It's in our genes.

America is undoubtedly a great country and if not the greatest across the board; certainly enviable to all for it's variety of attainable personal goals.

It does not need individuals comparing in a disparaging manner to all other countries, who have chosen not to allow firearm ownership to the same extent, with use of terms such as "subjects" or lacking in freedoms.

A contrary opinion to firearm ownership being the thing standing between your rights and freedoms and their loss should be allowed, especially when provided with alternate proof thereof, without all the "he's a Canadian" whining. An ignore feature is available to those who cannot tolerate contrary opinions.

Many countries have legalized ownership of firearms, predominantly long guns, without regarding that feature as a defining reason for their rights and freedoms. Nor do they think of themselves loftier in nature as "citizens" as compared to mere 'subjects' while enjoying their superior QOL to many other countries.

The U.S. is great and will continue to be so in spite of individual Americans serving only to harm it's image with demeaning of others, comparison boasting.

Old 08-04-2017, 08:26 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,674,856 times
Quote:
I don't think you understand.
They rely on..... statistics that state otherwise.
Well, I think you've said it all with that answer!

Yes, science relies on statistics. Your statement is akin to telling me I don't understand because there IS a chance I'll win 10 million in the powerball.

If statistics and reality don't mean anything, there is no conversation to have. What you are saying is "the actual facts of what hundreds of millions have actually done doesn't matter".

My take is the opposite. The reality is in the experience of EVERY American, now someone looking at it from afar. For all of history people have been telling folks "the streets are paved with gold in America". They forget to add that it's someone elses' (most likely a corporations') Gold.

In the USA the biggest predictor of where you will end up on the ladder....is where on it you were born. Period.

Watching the flag wave and getting tears in your eyes doesn't help the child who - right now - is eating lead paint off the walls...or drinking lead-laden water. No they can't lift themselves up..because when brain cells are programmed a certain way you lose the bearing.

Old 08-04-2017, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Wahine View Post
Thank God Canada has you to protect her and her sparkling image by trolling American forums and seeking out any out-of-line Americans to correct. You're doing your entire country a favor by stamping out foolish American pride here. Healthcare? Freedoms? Gun laws? Our government? Oh BruSan, just let us have it. We deserve it! We think our sh1t doesn't stink and you're just the man we need to put us all in our place.

I just hope you're able to breathe ok while enjoying our sunny coast every winter. It must be so hard for you to spend months here in Florida every year among us stupid, jingoistic, ignorant Americans. You're so brave.
American owned forums but public to all? Perhaps?

Apparently you didn't like my response with those links to sites that served to provide a contrary aspect to the poster suggesting all other countries that did not have a 2nd amendment were mere "subjects" lacking in comparable rights and freedoms. Go figure.

I breathe just fine in Florida and will continue to do so while also enjoying the people who are open to alternate opinion and who do not seem to perform the "we're better than the rest of you" stuff you are fighting so hard to protect on here. I must admit to not meeting many of those types in my years of U.S. travels.

"Stamping out foolish American pride" is what it's called when someone argues the point of that pride being obtained by comparing to all other countries, and doing so negatively?

Your condescension is noted. I thought better of you also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies