Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2017, 10:22 AM

18,804 posts, read 8,462,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrt1979 View Post
I would be willing to bet that about half of men that still live at home in their 20's suffer from gaming addiction.

I work with so many of these kids. Most are fat, socially awkward, and incapable of getting any tail without paying for it. They're the product of a snowflake society and bad food choices.
Video games meeting young men's needs previously met by work, US researchers say - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

I'm 66, successful and haven't stopped gaming. Started in my early 20's.

I was an Air Fight champion back in the mid '70's.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PLATO_(computer_system)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SubLOGIC

I stay fit, exercise almost every day, and once paid $20 for a BJ. lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2017, 12:04 PM

18,249 posts, read 16,904,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post
Maybe this is what needs to happen? I'm not saying 30 year olds should live at home but for teenagers to be in such a hurry to move out can cause life long negative effects.

I lived at home until I was 25. I was going to college at the time but I also was able to easily afford college & a vehicle. If I had been in a hurry to move out I would have been in debt but instead I moved out with plenty saved up which always put in a position of less stress financially.

It's harder these days IMO to live on your own. Insurance is the biggest problem I see. Insurance was never a huge deal for people growing up in the 60's, 70's etc.

A lot of other expenses too that are so much more higher when you compare it to that persons salary. I don't know what the % are but I'd be willing to bet that the % of peoples income that goes insurance, gas, housing/apartments, food etc. is a lot higher % in 2017 than 1987.
Yes, these additional expenses are all part of the No.1 of the two points I listed when I mentioned food and rent. This would also include auto insurance which is horrendous, gas, entertainment (an average date today is $200 dollars to entertain a woman in style, not a game of ping-pong followed by a snowcone for two at the park), necessities like bar soap, cologne, a haircut, unless you think the girl doesn't mind hanging with a guy who looks and smells like a Cro-Magnon, utilities, Internet/cable TV for your gaming and a hundred other miscellaneous costs that add up to thousands a year.

Lay most or all of this on poorly chosen majors at university--social studies instead of computer graphics for major studios, that kind of thing, that rendered most of these grads unemployable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Per the OP's link, the number living with parents was higher in 1940 than it is today.

In 1940 35% in that age group lived with parents and today 32.1% live with parents.

If you read the link, the biggest change is that most in that age group don't live with spouses/partners as much as before. There are massive increases in those living alone today compared to prior years and also massive increases of those that don't live with parents and don't live alone and don't live with spouse/partner. These are likely college students living in dorms and also young people living with roommates.

The real driving factor is that young people don't get married young like before - thus they aren't living with their spouses at a young age.
Yes, the article did address that exception but they labeled it an anomaly because it was during war time, WW2 when the country was recovering from the Great Depression and making huge sacrifices so we could defeat Germany and Japan.

Old 08-03-2017, 12:07 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
That's because Progressivism brought useless degrees to colleges and made kids weak SJW's who can't get real jobs now. It was planned to go like this to weaken our society and position in the world. The same thing with Trans in the military.
No.
In many countries (like those that never had transient propped up middle classes), young adults live at home until they marry.

Old 08-03-2017, 12:16 PM

13,510 posts, read 17,028,088 times
Wait, is this another thread, where baby boomers tell younger generations that they aren't as smart/tough/savvy/ interesting/moral/etc ad infinitum as the original poster?

Old 08-03-2017, 12:23 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,487,836 times
Don't really see the big deal. Me and my millennial friends struggled right after the recession but seems like we've more than caught up to me. I started making 6 figures at 25 y.o. and some of my friends are making 7 figures (ok, in tech tho). I do notice a few trends that might contribute to this though:

-More people getting master's degrees and higher education, and living at home to save up
-More millenials still shell shocked by recession and living at home to save money (but making good money at the same time)

Old 08-03-2017, 12:50 PM

77,005 posts, read 47,597,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neko_mimi View Post
I guess all those worthless liberal arts degree aren't working out after all. LOL
I know. Pffft...who needs math and science when you can pick fruit for living.

Old 08-03-2017, 12:59 PM

35,680 posts, read 21,030,020 times
how about they don't want mama alone! single parenting changes things too and we talking about w/Americans ? cause Latinos/ Asians/ maybe black Americans and other cultures-- stay home and take care of their parents!!

Old 08-03-2017, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
how about they don't want mama alone! single parenting changes things too and we talking about w/Americans ? cause Latinos/ Asians/ maybe black Americans and other cultures-- stay home and take care of their parents!!
Thanks for pointing this out... I know a few people who went through this at different periods (and me too). Absolutely had nothing to do with cost, and a lot with taking care of a loved one.

Old 08-03-2017, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I know. Pffft...who needs math and science when you can pick fruit for living.
I majored in a liberal arts. People who want to make money, will make money no matter what they major in.

Old 08-03-2017, 01:45 PM

776 posts, read 393,898 times
For 18 years, we demonize anything resembling independence in our kids, and then when they turn 18 we whine they lack independence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies